body position: my bike or myself?

MaderaMark

• 7 months later...

I find that, for a street trials bike, sinking my butt down lower alleviates pressure on the back. The taller and straighter I get, and the longer I stay there, the worse it is on my back. I noticed I was trying to stand straight up when I started as I was watching people ride on a comp trials bike and trying to emulate that on my street trials bike -- doesn't work the same -- you're far more upright on a comp trials bike. Also letting off the back brake every time I push down on the pedals for a correction hop -- this alleviates the lever on your back caused by the short bike. On a long comp bike, you can more easily back hop with the back brake locked without feeling it in your back as much.

I've found that trying to get my head just above my bars (if looking straight) while hopping on the rear wheel is where I prefer to be. Granted, this all depends on what you're trying to do. Obviously, your head will go up and down as you hop.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 10:31 PM, trialscrab said:

I find that, for a street trials bike, sinking my butt down lower alleviates pressure on the back. The taller and straighter I get, and the longer I stay there, the worse it is on my back. I noticed I was trying to stand straight up when I started as I was watching people ride on a comp trials bike and trying to emulate that on my street trials bike -- doesn't work the same -- you're far more upright on a comp trials bike. Also letting off the back brake every time I push down on the pedals for a correction hop -- this alleviates the lever on your back caused by the short bike. On a long comp bike, you can more easily back hop with the back brake locked without feeling it in your back as much.

I've found that trying to get my head just above my bars (if looking straight) while hopping on the rear wheel is where I prefer to be. Granted, this all depends on what you're trying to do. Obviously, your head will go up and down as you hop.

I totally agree on this. Though it may take a lot of time to get used to street trials but i guess that time won't come for me. So i will just enjoy whatever I can do, while the best part is to enjoy life to the fullest.

Cheers!!!

I think you should try to straighten your back and put your chest forward, at least when going down with your body (impulse for a gap).

I am not agile and even on a comp trial I can t do this well.

I think it is related to the hips range of motion.

Also try to use more your weight distribution and apply more forces on your pedals when moving.

I noticed recently that I used a lot of body language with my back to move the bike previously, but now it seems I use more the pressure under my feet and my knees.

I can imagine that the back is then less stressed.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Whatever you do I'd try sort it one way or another. I'm 50 and started with a jitsie vario and pushed too hard when I had back ache and ended up needing 6 months of physio. I now have an inspired hex  and no backache after 100s of hours riding. I suspect the hex is a better fit. I'm only a beginner though.

• Like 2

A friend of mine went from a 2017 Fourplay, to a Guilty and eventually ended on a 2021 Hex.

Even if the Guilty was an amazing bike, superior to him to the Fourplay (not sure the Guilty fits everyone though), he largely prefers the Hex and his riding improved much with.

He said the length of the top tube/reach makes a huge difference for him and he has less back pain than with both previous bikes.

• Like 1