Norco Manifesto Project Bike

Sam Song

21 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

That thing is such a Super Bike. May the trials gods bless you for going all out!

Thanks Ross! 

Thanks for telling me I do not need the spinny gears. I should have listened to you the first time. Haha

Riding this is such a nice break from just inch hunting type of pure trials riding I was doing. 

Edited by Sam Song
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

The modern Shimano calipers just don't seem up to trials related forces. But yes your adapter is awful too and allows a lot of flex. You could probably bend it apart by hand, imagine what a hard landing could do.

Hayes, Hope, anything with some meat on it.

20230308_142253.thumb.jpg.be1437c80f36ba8f2ffc94d9f18b62b2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2023 at 12:58 PM, La Bourde said:

These f*cking Shimano adapters.

You need a beefier one.

Speaking of the adaptor,

I worked on my bike for the first time after the Saint caliper broke. 

I took the adapter off and saw this. Look how the two caliper holes are facing a different way. 

It must have stretched the two caliper holes apart and cracked it. 

This shimano adapter is garbage indeed. I think I will go back to a 7 inch rotor in the back for now. 

20230415_203819.jpg

Edited by Sam Song
  • Like 1

Here some threads that cover the topic.

After my Zee brake caliper failed, my Shimano adapter was also bent. I sent the whole thing to Shimano Europe and they said the problem was the lack of torque of the screws.
To me, this was just an excuse not to take it under warranty - that is somehow fine, cause the brake adapters are not designed for trial use. Trial puts a lot of stress on the frame and adapter. It is well known too, that a lot of frames crack either at the brake mount or at the seat stay seat tube junction.
I also broke a rotor too.

One the best adapter for me seems to be the old Avid one. It is really beefy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

After dealing with snapping disc brake calipers, I decided to have a separate setup ready for rear v brake. 

I will still keep the rear disc setup if I want to take it for mountain biking, but have the rear v brake for trials riding. 

20230524_183539.jpg

20230524_182507.jpg

20230524_182600.jpg

20230524_182552.jpg

20230524_182649.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2023 at 11:47 PM, Ross McArthur said:

What's your conical washer set up like behind the pads? Could you get a lower profile set up which would bring the arms inboard a bit more for heel clearance?

It is already at the lowest clearance possible with just one washer unfortunately. 

I think it is a matter of just trimming down the pad material a little bit with the use of the wide carthy rim in the back which I can try. 

• Thanks 1

Awesome V-brake setup. Get an Avid SD7 lever of you can! Maybe thinner pads would help a better profile just like Ross said. I just love that carbon V-brake booster and I would love to find one. Keep that bike like that, it's how it should be ridden!

Edited by Canardweb