Disc frames similar to the original hex…

manuel

So I’d like to get a bit of riding in, but my rear hub is destroyed so I’ll be needing a new rear wheel. At that point what I’d like is to go a bit more modern - ideally through axles and most importantly discs. So I’m looking for a disc frame with similar geometry to an original hex. Nothing too short or high! 
if nothing like that is available where does one go these days for custom? 

• Like 1

The new Hex is slightly shorter, going from 1045mm to 1025mm and the head angle went to 73.5 from 73. The last change was the chainstay length which was shortened by 5mm to 380mm. I personally really like the look of the Extention Vary, 1035mm wb, 380mm stays, 74 head angle. It's like a modern Hex but with considerably more reach (Hex is 448mm whilst the Vary is 480mm) and a steeper head angle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manuel said:

Is that the most current hex? Have they changed much geometry wise? I can’t remember what the original is! 

No. I got the 2018. I think it's largely similar to the current one, but with a bolt-in rear hub and non-integrated headset, and a few things like that.
They're a lot nicer than the old Hexes. I always loved the look of the early ones, but hated how they felt. The new ones are a lot more responsive, and based on my couple of weeks experiece, they ride very trials-like with a longer bar/stem combination. (Nothing wild - just the kind of thing you had on your pre-Hex bikes.) Come to Radfest and try it out ;)

I've only done casual research, but I think there are four 26" actual street trials bikes available right now. The Hex, obviously, TMS Silex 26 and two from Extension. The Drax is the previous model Extension and the Vary is the new one. You can check those for geo that suits you. As for custom; I wish I knew of an aluminium custom builder. Marino is great for steel, but a 6 month wait (at least). There are other steel builders too and then there's titanium if you wanna go full crazy. I went down the custom road recently, but steel's not really my thing and titanium is just too expensive for what you realistically get.

I'm keeping my Czar 26 going for as long as I can. It's the perfect bike for me. 1020 wheelbase, +25 BB, 74* head angle and 380 chainstay.

There's a 21' Hex, a Marino copy and a TMS Silex 26 on the Canada/US Pinkbike buy/sell right now. Good luck

• Like 2

2018 HEX is the following geometry (as I have a NOS Orange frame set as well) and it is the exact same GEO as the latest as well:

• Wheelbase: 1023mm
  • Chainstay: 380mm
  • BB Height: +20mm
  • Head Angle: 73.5˚

Seems they haven't changed the geo formula here for a while!

Edited by Brettoll