Lightest TGS/Pogo Stick (non-carbon) Frames

Brettoll

Afternoon all,

Been having a think about comp style frames and the old weight weenie days of yore (well for me anyway) and curious to see what the "lightest" production frames, non-carbon 26" were / are?

Semi tempted to find one for a "light as possible" build project, but wondering for those who rode these style frames, lowest weight stocks were..

Cheers!

Brett

Hi,

I think one has to consider the parts used for the build.

For instance, if you get a Crewkerz Jealously, you will require specific cranks and bottom bracket (you can go for Maestro or Clean cranks too).

Also a through axle on the rear.

A tapered jitsie frame requires a specific headset and fork from the same brand.

So if you only consider the frame, you may not end with the lightest build.

But to be honest, weight is one thing, but stiffness and reliability are maybe more important.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, La Bourde said:

Hi,

I think one has to consider the parts used for the build.

For instance, if you get a Crewkerz Jealously, you will require specific cranks and bottom bracket (you can go for Maestro or Clean cranks too).

Also a through axle on the rear.

A tapered jitsie frame requires a specific headset and fork from the same brand.

So if you only consider the frame, you may not end with the lightest build.

But to be honest, weight is one thing, but stiffness and reliability are maybe more important.

Oh yeah, those ones with proprietary parts you have to consider as well. And yeah, if it is something like a DOB magnesium monstrosity that just died, that is not worth the low weight.. it has to be able to take the forces.

This is more a toe dip, what is out there that was so lightweight in a build. Proprietary or not..

2 minutes ago, DJEHB said:

The lightest 26” I managed to build was my Limey 4, just tipped over 7.5kg’s at this point and was a superb riding bike!

Did have a crank snap so moved to try-all. Full titanium hardware throughout. I was a good 85kgs back then and rode it almost daily.

IMG_3328.jpeg

IMG_3330.jpeg

IMG_3329.jpeg

Those were lovely frames!! Combined with the ti bolts etc. that looks particularly sexy..

Ouch, that is a major fail on those - hope not physical damage to you whilst they died

I once rode a small stock Crewkerk Jealousy, 9mm axle tapered carbon fork to reduce weight, titanium and aluminum screws, recutted tyres, Jitsie rim band, radial laced front wheel, etc.

It weights under 8kg, cannot recall exactly how much.

So nimble, it was so amazing.

But I had some concerns regarding reliability.

36 minutes ago, Alex Dark said:

Full build jealousy now is 8.65kg. With some modifications and choosy part selection sub 8kg may be possible. 

That is not bad! I remember when sub 10 was a thing on the Koxx Kloud.. looking at the way they get thrown about pretty stiff as well

39 minutes ago, Alex Dark said:

Full build jealousy now is 8.65kg. With some modifications and choosy part selection sub 8kg may be possible. 

The jealousy frame and cranks feel so much stiffer than any other frame I've ridden.  I had a echo GU around 2012 that was round 18 lb, 8.1 kg.  But it felt like crap.

Most of the current frames are a bit stiffer and more reliable than super lightweight frames of 4-6 years ago.  

If you're ok with snail cams, instead of a built in tensioner, that saves weight.  The tensioner setup on the frame instelf adds some weight, along with the tensioner.
Play Kill II is 1.68 kg.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Alex Dark said:

What size is yours?

Stock build?

The one I rode was a small size and all parts were chosen for their weight... I mean there was some aluminum screws for the HS33 bleeding port and for the chain tensioner. Even the fork steerer was cut as low as possible...