Do you use skate grip tape on your pedals?

La Bourde

Hi,

the last few wet rides, my feet just keep slightly move on the pedals: the paint on the aluminium body is missing on some area and the soles of my shoes are worn much.

In addition, the xpedo spry are not concave and the axle protrudes.

Years ago, I removed the original pins and put some grub screws (6 mm and 8mm, if I recall correctly)

Not a problem in dry conditions, but as soon as the sole is wet I was a little annoyed.

So I tried to glue some skate grip tape.

The first ride with the grip tape is positive.

Do you use grip tape in your pedals?

How long does it last?

20240209_210216_5175348144032631469_20240209232819.jpg

Loads of pro riders have been doing it for years. I have never felt the need for it but it works very well for those who do.

This is a picture of Benito's pedals with some worn grip tape courtesy of Eirik Ulltang, on Bashguardian

uci-trials-world-championship-vic-2021-b

Edited by Canardweb
  • Like 1

I guess it makes sense first when soles and pedals are worn.

As long as the paint is present, the body has enough grip in wet conditions.

But I have some pedals which body is almost polished by the soles of my shoes. In this case, even if the pins are sharp, I feel less grip.

I rode today again in wet conditions and still have the impression it is better.

20240209_181906_1475828570018857485_20240210140825.jpg

When I used the xpedo spry, and a few other Pedals I had done the same thing.  Some other Pedals have not needed it.

Like you said some Pedals have a large amount of the weight around the axle where there aren't pins, and it can get slippery in the wet.

Do you have other Pedals to try? 

I used to use longer pins in the winter months.

2 minutes ago, cwtrials said:

When I used the xpedo spry, and a few other Pedals I had done the same thing.  Some other Pedals have not needed it.

Like you said some Pedals have a large amount of the weight around the axle where there aren't pins, and it can get slippery in the wet.

Do you have other Pedals to try? 

I used to use longer pins in the winter months.

I hope you wear shinguards!

I have or had some other pedals:

Wellgo MG1, OneUp Composite, DMR V6, Shimano Saint, plastic pedals with plastic(animals rat trap, Cinema tilt) or aluminium pins...

Pedals are like grips to me, I tried a lot and I know that some pedals may work better than other for a specific use.

My preference is for plastic body, they are less slippery in the wet.

I really like the OneUp for example, for DH and enduro at least. But I do not like them on a trial bike, too grippy and the pins are too aggressive.

Somehow in trials I feel I need less grip than for other disciplines. I am a big fan of 5.10 in MTB but I ride Pearl Izumi shoes in trials.

The Xpedo are really light and the pins are OK. There was only this slight play when riding in the wet that I fixed using the tape.

Edited by La Bourde
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 12:13 AM, La Bourde said:

I have or had some other pedals:

Wellgo MG1, OneUp Composite, DMR V6, Shimano Saint, plastic pedals with plastic(animals rat trap, Cinema tilt) or aluminium pins...

Pedals are like grips to me, I tried a lot and I know that some pedals may work better than other for a specific use.

My preference is for plastic body, they are less slippery in the wet.

I really like the OneUp for example, for DH and enduro at least. But I do not like them on a trial bike, too grippy and the pins are too aggressive.

Somehow in trials I feel I need less grip than for other disciplines. I am a big fan of 5.10 in MTB but I ride Pearl Izumi shoes in trials.

The Xpedo are really light and the pins are OK. There was only this slight play when riding in the wet that I fixed using the tape.

Yo what shoes exactly do you ride for trials?

I used to ride Ribo shoes but they worn out after a year or so. And Jitsie ones even faster. I place my feet weirdly on pedals so I wear my shoes faster than normal. I use Adidas Terrex Solo and I will try Trailcross LT afterwards.

2 hours ago, Canardweb said:

I used to ride Ribo shoes but they worn out after a year or so. And Jitsie ones even faster. I place my feet weirdly on pedals so I wear my shoes faster than normal. I use Adidas Terrex Solo and I will try Trailcross LT afterwards.

I'm using the trailcross LT's and love them.

• Like 1