Bmx Questions

BONGO

hehe yup thats my plan ben, will most liekly even sell the tirals bike, as its my final year I don't have much time for it, plus don't see trials as the future after I finish uni and get a real job.

More people locally seem to be into bmx these days, plus its easier to find things to ride, not so limited to ups and side hops etc.

Mark!!!! I am not that new to bmx, I know what i was looking at :)  Will get some pics very soon, am still at work atm.

Hmmmmm loving the idea of riding bmx again (Y)

So ture I think Im a damm fool for buying a new trials frame as I dont ride it much bmx has taken over. I must add having a leaking mini doesnt help. Im seriously thinking about seling up and just having one bike. Theres more people round here that ride trials but its getting too slow for me and bmx is so fast and exciting.

Lo hips theres a massive one under a flyover where I live great fun but the run in limits speed, its a bit bumpy and too much speed hurts my writs but is fun.

I hate 3 piece cranks they take an age to set up and mine are not right and the are a pain to get off.

Mine were fine? Running a Euro BB with some Wondercups if that makes any difference? (Y) It's simple to do, and they're pretty straight-forward to take off? Just get the 8mm allen key, put it in the middle of the spindle, knock the top, it pushes the spindle through and the crank on the side you're hitting from plops off. Works for me :)\

• 1 month later...

Rightyho,

I need some tires and a lighter front end and easyer gearing ! :">

With the tires i don't have a clue i only ever ride ramps but also do a lot of riding to and from places so i don't want ones that wear out quick what would you all suggest ?One last thing i hate puntures so good punture protection would be good :P .

I also would realy like a lighter front end it just seams so heavy to me (Y) i was thing a change of bars and stem would make a difference carn't really be bothered to change the forks. My current set up is an Eastern bikes bar and stem.

Would also love some easyer gearing just not a clue what to go for.

Cheers for any help that can be given.

Sam (Y)

Edited by samthebiker

Ill comment.

As for bar and stem I had what you have now and it weighs a tonne, I changed to ody milk bars and elementary stem super light saved about a 1/1/2.

I also changed my forks to ody pro dirt again saved a 1lb

Tyres and semi worn tyre by maxxis are good, I love my hookworm not to heavy but great puncture protection, pumps upto 110psi same with the ringworm, miricale or m-tread.

Heatsink Vee pads

Odyssey Evolver Brake Here

Federal slick cable or any of the other slick cables :blink:" .

Dirt harry lever.

All can be brought from www.alansbmx.com, pads=heatsinkbikes.com

Read back the topic there quite a bit on brakes and what setup all on the 1st few pages.

Sam :-

Edited by samthebiker

I really didn't like the Heatsink V's on my friends BMX too much. Manuals are near impossible just 'cos there's no modulation whatsoever, it's just on/off. That's OK for some stuff, but other pads do the job too, but offer more modulation (Ody 1x4s or 2x4s - whatever they're called - are pretty good, and even say the V-Flys are pretty good from what I've heard. Mine should be here soon so I can say more then :blink:).

Also, the Heatsinks seem to melt on chrome rims, due to the increase in heat over standard trials rims. Matt's have sorta melted all weirdly, in a not so good way...

I'd go for:

V-Flys

Hombre w/Fiesta pack (or maybe the E-Brake from Primo?)

Odyssey Monolever (medium)

Odyssey Linear Slic cable

I really didn't like the Heatsink V's on my friends BMX too much.  Manuals are near impossible just 'cos there's no modulation whatsoever, it's just on/off.  That's OK for some stuff, but other pads do the job too, but offer more modulation (Ody 1x4s or 2x4s - whatever they're called - are pretty good, and even say the V-Flys are pretty good from what I've heard.  Mine should be here soon so I can say more then :blink:).

Also, the Heatsinks seem to melt on chrome rims, due to the increase in heat over standard trials rims.  Matt's have sorta melted all weirdly, in a not so good way...

I'd go for:

V-Flys

Hombre w/Fiesta pack (or maybe the E-Brake from Primo?)

Odyssey Monolever (medium)

Odyssey Linear Slic cable

Good lad V-fly rule I love mine, modulation and stopping power in in one brake pad and on a black rim.

Should I buy a Tree sprocket £49 or a KHE Ninja £29 one? Both will be 30T, I ride street but don't abuse my sprocket too much. I am assuming the extra price of the the Tree is because it is incredible but wanted to hear peoples experiences before shelling out.

Go.... :blink:

Anyone know where i can buy just a set of thin springs ofr an odyssey evolver without having to buy the whole 'extras pack' with a london mod and everything for £12. I juyst need springs.....I appear to have lost my thin springs, im pretty sure there's fat ones in there at the mo because it always feels slow and mega stiff.

Anyone got some they could chuck in the post for a small fee?

Thanks very much, Max.

I'm almost 100% sure you can't get springs on there own, although I would try to contact Odyssey and see if they will chuck some in the post for a small fee, it is doubtful though, as that is the point of the extra's pack.

myownhero, go for the tree sprcket everytime, i've heard and seen nothing but good things from them :- I notice you live in hastings, did you go to the comp on saturday? It rocked :blink:

I cant see the point paying £50 for a tree sprocket when your not going to bash it.

Theres plenty of nice sprockets out there for less.

Just cut my Slim Milks down to 20inches, they now feel really nice and I can just about get my brake on, good thing its a Goldfinger.

Edited by Michael Hardman

• 5 weeks later...

For the rear, get a profile mini with a 14mm axle, or if moneys no object, a titanium 14mm axle.

Yes 36 hole is perfect for the rear.

As for Alan's wheelbuild's, if no one tells you beforehand, I will be getting my rear wheel built from Alan's, and it should be delivered on Monday, so i'll tell you sometime next week :)

yo guys, iv bent the bars which came on my wethepeople 4 seasons but also i cut the bars too shirt, i have seen people running quite long bars or just probably bars which are full length, im looking at bars like oddessey civilians, hoffman fatfree, fit series 2's and well anything else someone can recomend, how big are the milk bars and are they good, i ahve like a smooth trails style, so like wider bars than my now shirt ones i went on this kids with bars i can remember there name but they were pretty long and table tops, airs and stuff were so much easier so wat u guys recomend?

Anything Federal, fit, WTP, etc are all pretty good.

I'd strongly recommend the Federal Light bars if your quite smooth a rider, I have them now, and they are just perfect, they feel comfortable, strong and willing 24/7 :P

Fly 3 amigos are another good set of bars :huh: Have a look about on Alans and see what you like the look of, they have brilliant descriptions on each of there products, plus a fair few customer reviews aswell :)

For the rear, get a profile mini with a 14mm axle, or if moneys no object, a titanium 14mm axle.

Yes 36 hole is perfect for the rear.

As for Alan's wheelbuild's, if no one tells you beforehand, I will be getting my rear wheel built from Alan's, and it should be delivered on Monday, so i'll tell you sometime next week (Y)

Even if I'm running pegs?

For bars, I;ve heard good things about S&M slam bars or the berringer ones. Right now I'm running BONGO's old federal bars, and they are holding up nicely!Hoffman jumping bars are quite good as well apparently and I'm quite liking the 3 amigos bar as well.

• 1 month later...

Had a mini crash, so the Profile hub idea went out the window!I'm now torn between the G-Sport Homer or the Odyssey cassette. I'd like the strength of the homer, but ideally I'd like to use a micro gearing and a 36 hole rim!What shall I decide on!It will be laced to a Big City

Also I am going to be getting a new frame for christmas,what do you recommend?

cheers