Bmx Questions

BONGO

hello all,

want to get a BMX just after christmas, got about 200-250 to spend, want mostly to do street on and maybe abit of dirt later on? i don't mind 2nd hand bikes but i just wondered what would be good etc?!? haven't got a clue about BMX's but i want to get one!, thanks Luke!

Depending on what spec you want it. Do you want it light, strong, will you run pegs, will you use it often and do you plan on staying with it.

If the answer is yes then it will be wise to make and investment in your new steed.

You say £250, that should get you a well specced second hand bike off ebay. If you were to buy it new then it wouldn't be as light or have fancy parts.

Depending on what spec you want it. Do you want it light, strong, will you run pegs, will you use it often and do you plan on staying with it.

If the answer is yes then it will be wise to make and investment in your new steed.

You say £250, that should get you a well specced second hand bike off ebay. If you were to buy it new then it wouldn't be as light or have fancy parts.

i'll proberly run pegs but take them off when i go jumping? and something that will be strong and last some time!

I am contemplating getting a new stem for my fit, as the one on now doesn't seem to clamp right, and after a while of riding it seems as if the bars have moved, even after i had taken all the screws out put some grease on them and wacked it up tight.

So i have seen a couple, being:

S&M race XLT stem

Odyssey Elementary (teal colour)

But i'm not sure which to get yet, and i am open to any other suggestions. And i'm looking at ones that come in different colours, as i like the look of having a nice colourful stem :P .

I would go for the S&M stem over the Odyssey one. I know OBM and Poopipe will disagree.

There are some nice stems coming out now as well.

What about the Coalition one or the WTP Supreme stem, that is a nice stem.

I've been running my Macneil Ruben stem for 3 years or so now. It out lived the frame. Only 'cause i don't run it anymore though. It weighs loads and i've never had any problems yet *touch wood*. I also bought a backup one, if that isn't asking for trouble i don't know what is.

Perhaps the clamping problem your having is because the bar/ stem ridges have worm away or it needs tightening correctly. I mean tighten all bolts the same, like you would on a magura 4 mount. Or maybe its because your running a Hidden Destination stem :P Which i do doubt anyway. Forget i mentioned those.

Anyhow my choice for you is S&M or WTP (Y)

I would go for the S&M stem over the Odyssey one. I know OBM and Poopipe will disagree.

not at all

i mostly got the odyssey cos it was over a tenner cheaper than all the other good ones - f**ked if i'm spending £50 on a stem (if I had it would have been a jumpoff so i could be like edwin :wub:)

if you opt for the elementary, the cheapest place i found them (that i trusted) was pijin - £38 i think,

i wouldn't have picked the redneck personally as I'm not too keen on the look but you know it'll be good cos its S&M

if you opt for the elementary, the cheapest place i found them (that i trusted) was pijin - £38 i think,

i wouldn't have picked the redneck personally as I'm not too keen on the look but you know it'll be good cos its S&M

Pijin are free postage and are realiable. Good shop.

I'm still undecided on the taiwan and american made products. If my S&M frame lasts i will be happy but as for their forks i'm more than unhappy about them. But they have updated them so the problems i got won't happen again with the new ones.

The new taiwan made Hawk Fit frame, snapped at the backyard jam i believe. I think it was backyard, my friend was saying. The headtube just snapped off.

I guess i will find out soon enough.

Edited by eskimo

The new taiwan made Hawk Fit frame, snapped at the backyard jam i believe. I think it was backyard, my friend was saying. The headtube just snapped off.

The rumour - as I heard it - was that he was doing about 40mph straight into the side of a ramp or something when it snapped. No real surprise there if that was the case.

on one hand, I'm not keen on buying a US made frame cos they cost £100 more than taiwanese ones - is it really worth paying 50% more on the off-chance that it's a bit stronger?

on the other hand a lot of US companies have a lifetime guarantee on the frames and that levels the field a bit - If I were to snap my taiwan job within a year I'd be looking at as US frame with a guarantee cos it'll work out cheaper in the long run. not likely though

on the other hand a lot of US companies have a lifetime guarantee on the frames and that levels the field a bit - If I were to snap my taiwan job within a year I'd be looking at as US frame with a guarantee cos it'll work out cheaper in the long run. not likely though

I bought the L.A.F as it had a 75dg head angle was light but not too short. I have now found it is pretty damn short. The sizes they give don't make much sense really.

Anyhow S&M i doubt will warranty my frame if it snaps even though it says on their website loads of stuff about bending and breaking.

Odyssey on the other hand i hear are rather good with warranty though. But i wouldn't want my bike to be all Odyssey like everyone elses. If i could change my frame and parts, i would.

Chase Hawk nose-dived directly into a vertical wall, coming off a 6ft drop from a pretty fast curved wallride, with a shitload of speed and momentum, and the frame just cracked. That's all there was to it. From where I was, you couldn't even tell that he'd f**ked his frame 'til he looked mad shocked and Aaron Ross covered it up with an Empire hoodie. Bearing in mind how ridiculously big he goes, it's a bit different to your average Joe riding. I wouldn't have any worries about it.

I'd go for the Elementary out of those two, but given a wider choice I'd go for the Jumpoff. It's the same price-ish (£39.99) as an Elementary, a bit shorter - which is nice :P - and is a hell of a lot easier to get working, and adjust.

Chase Hawk nose-dived directly into a vertical wall, coming off a 6ft drop from a pretty fast curved wallride, with a shitload of speed and momentum, and the frame just cracked. That's all there was to it. From where I was, you couldn't even tell that he'd f**ked his frame 'til he looked mad shocked and Aaron Ross covered it up with an Empire hoodie. Bearing in mind how ridiculously big he goes, it's a bit different to your average Joe riding. I wouldn't have any worries about it.

I was never told about the crash so it makes sense that it fell apart. Although a normal 6lb frame wouldn't. But i know that droping a bike onto its front end doesn't happen everyday.

I was never told about the crash so it makes sense that it fell apart. Although a normal 6lb frame wouldn't. But i know that droping a bike onto its front end doesn't happen everyday.

How do you know that? We've got no idea what forces the frame was subjected to before that, how old it was, what sort of crashes he'd had before, etc., so it's impossible to say...

How do you know that? We've got no idea what forces the frame was subjected to before that, how old it was, what sort of crashes he'd had before, etc., so it's impossible to say...

That is very true. In saying ' a normal 6lb frame' it would be better to say a good 6lb frame as some of them were not very strong. For example the Fly Estamida. But my Macneil Ruben frame went through so much and has a crack next to the headtube which never got any bigger for the duration i was riding it. I do believe that his new frame couldn't withstand as much as the old Macneil Ruben.

So my argument is a bit un-valid as there are weak 6lb frames. But if i were to say my Ruben wouldn't of broke like his Hawk frame i think i could be right. I find that my L.A.F feels brittle and not as rigid as my Ruben which makes me believe that 5lb frames aren't as strong as the heavier ones in most cases.

But in saying that, like you said 'We've got no idea what forces the frame was subjected to before that', would put a downer on my argument. It also could of been a proto-type.

But knowing what my Ruben went through over the years and how weak my L.A.F feels i think that they aren't as strong as there made out to be. Frames like houses aren't made to last anymore. But i can only be sure if my L.A.F breaks.

So i guess you win. :P

I bought the L.A.F as it had a 75dg head angle was light but not too short. I have now found it is pretty damn short. The sizes they give don't make much sense really.

the steeper headangle increases the quoted length of the toptube so a 21" will probably feel like the same length as a 20.75" frame with a 74.5 degree headangle (or something - the numbers are for illustrative purposes only, my maths will be proper wank cos I havent really slept since monday night)

The thing is with Fly frames nowadays is the 69° seat-tube angle, which is way slacker than a regular frame. 'cos of that, their 21" frames would theoretically feel a lot shorter than a "normal" bikes 21" top-tube frame. C'est la vie, I'm still probably gonna buy the Tierra when it comes out...

C'est la vie, I'm still probably gonna buy the Tierra when it comes out...

me too - any idea how long the arse end will be on them? I couldn't find it written down anywhere - despite being positive i'd seen it written down somewhere

Edited by poopipe

Is it this one you on about, if it is it looks mighty fine.

Fly seem to be coming out with a lot of products which seem to be getting more and more like trials bike stuff like the bashplate, low slung frame, drilled rims. But i guess it's not a bad thing, as they all have their uses.

IPB Image