Bmx Questions

BONGO

Righty ho im going to be looking for a new shorter and lighter frame next week and im not sure what to get :rolleyes:

I ideally want to spend max of 250 and with about 20.75 minium TT im riding a macneil freimuth at the moment the geo is ok just it has a 21TT which cna be a little to long most of the time, im 6 foot 2 so about average and I hate short TT'!

I was thinking about a Simple enigma

IPB Image

* Full 4130 Sanko Japanese Cr-mo tubing

* Double butted top and down tubes

* Spanish Bottom Bracket

* Integrated headset

* Removable gyro tabs

* 5mm lasercut and heattreated dropouts, CNC'd on the inside

* Extra large blowholes for reduced weight

* Slotted cable guide for easy brake removal

* Pijin weight 5.2lb

sex!

IPB Image

Mankind asadi

Tubing TT: 34.9mm/1.37" DT: 38mm/1.5" CS: 22.2mm/1.2" SS: 19mm/0.75"

Material 100% Japanese Cr-mo

Top Tube 20.5" or 20.8"

Chainstay 361mm

Pijin weight 5.6lb (20.8")

Angles HT: 74.5° ST:71°

B/B Height 35mm (1.38") above axle line

Bearing set up Euro B/B & Integrated Headset (Campag)

then I found the new United bikes frames

mm

IPB Image

all them geo's are probaly all different ha I dont really look im not even sure what I really want!

Im more into flowy/smooth park and wallrides and shit (no pegs)

any other suggestions or any opinions would be greatly recieved :)

Edited by pinky

Sounds like your not to bothered and just for a change which is cool. Most bmx frame have all the same angles and the back ends tend to be ruffly the same.

These frames are light compared to your Macneil. So you will be astonished when you set it up.

So you don't run pegs. Then you won't need a solid frame. Do you run a brake and would you like gyro tabs?

I found this Mankind. Might be one for you?

If i didn't run pegs i would get this. Out of your price range but worth it!

If weight isn't an issue then you could get a cheap frame which is on sale. Like a Federal or Mutiny.

100 quid not bad.

Tell me what you think.

Sounds like your not to bothered and just for a change which is cool. Most bmx frame have all the same angles and the back ends tend to be ruffly the same.

These frames are light compared to your Macneil. So you will be astonished when you set it up.

So you don't run pegs. Then you won't need a solid frame. Do you run a brake and would you like gyro tabs?

I found this Mankind. Might be one for you?

If i didn't run pegs i would get this. Out of your price range but worth it!

If weight isn't an issue then you could get a cheap frame which is on sale. Like a Federal or Mutiny.

100 quid not bad.

Tell me what you think.

f**k it im saving another week and getting the metal one that is just bmx art in its purist form well impressed

cheers man (Y)

not unless the whole bikes is light as f**k. The frame is only like 250 grams lighter than most other frames these days.

its lightish

beringer lite bars

profile racing cranks

profile on sun rhyno lite

fly front hib on some rim (not cheap)

new federal forks

shadow con seat

fly tires

not massively light parts but nothing silly!

I wouldnt mind a lighter shorter frame for sure!

Which shops do custom wheel builds? If any.

They always seem to be complete wheels.

Failing that, are bmx wheels hard to build if your a noob.

Most of them do custom wheel builds. Often if you buy the parts from them then their give you some spokes and the wheel build free.

Alans build the best wheels without a doubt. I've tried a few and the spokes come loose within a month. But with an Alans build they stay tight for a long time. Like some else said a while ago "their rape you for postage" :lol:

But building your own wheel is damn easy. Especially with new spokes. You don't even have to get the wheels fine tuned as it's only on your bmx. Obviously it would be nicer to have a tuned wheel but it's not a trials bike.

Hope that helps.

I wondered, what build you looking at?

Theres not really many places that have built wheels already onto a Profile. I remember sourcebmx doing a Profile on The Eliminator rim build.

Your best bet is to ask someone for a custom wheel build.

Try here. I don't know if the wheels are pre-built though?

Here are some more pre-builds. (if they are?)

And here is a cheapo wheel. Well good though. I had a pair but snapped the axle in the rear. Plus many of the spokes went. But still 4 sealed bearings and a nice setup. The rim is quite weighty. I ain't moaning for the price!

righty new pedal time, been using wellgo v12 copies on my bmx with no problems for the past few months on my bmx, but last night a sodding blader tried to ride my bike, with blades still on....bye bye some of the pedal :S the cage snapped for some reason

anywho, im guessing they are made out of pretty inferioir metal, as ive seen several broken rather easily :( shame cos they grip well

sooooo, question is, what next? ive got a few in mind, possibly another set of v12 copies (and not letting a blader on my bike again) they need to be fairly light, and not have self tearing out pins :P

EDIT: budget, well im not fussed, i will pay good money for good pedals :) so 70quid ones arent out of question, also i dont do pedal grinds, but i do land to pedal out of quarters sometimes and stuff-feck knows what thats called in trick terms

also, whilst im at it, chain tenioners, i need some for my parkinson frame, any recomendations? i use a left hand peg, so im guessing almost any 14mm tensioner will be fine?

Edited by pauloliver

Could ghetto it up by doing your wheel up in place, then taking off one wheel nut, slipping a grub-screw/cut-down metal rod into the gap in the dropout between your axle and the inside end of the dropout (so you're basically holding it in place by putting a bit of metal in the way), then putting the wheelnut back on? Alternatively, get me to do your wheel nuts up for you (Y)

In the absence of a ripped and buff OBM, just try a chain tug. Cut off the excess thread and file the end plate so it's really neat to your dropout and it should be fine 'n' dandy.

EDIT: On the 3 question: I learnt to 3-hop before I learnt to 3 jumps. Made it easier when it came down to it :)

You could file off the paint round your dropouts as well. That will help considerably if it hasn't already worn away :lol:

Also make sure your nuts and axle thread are sweet! so when doing up the nuts with a extended bar they won't strip (Y)

Or just buy some chain tensioners.

You could file off the paint round your dropouts as well. That will help considerably if it hasn't already worn away :lol:

Also make sure your nuts and axle thread are sweet! so when doing up the nuts with a extended bar they won't strip (Y)

Or just buy some chain tensioners.

I just take an extension bar and a socket out with me these days - i ditched my chain tugs in the end cos I managed to stretch my peg side one into a lovely oval shape that took ages to get off the axle

Anyone have or know of any bmx pics of a black bmx with pink tyres and grips. I know it's a long shot but i am considering it, but don't want to waste money for it to only look tacky. Need a bit of guidence first

Was browsing through the bmx pics thread and gave up after i realised i would spend at least an hour in there and in the end i may not even find one.

Think this would be the right place.

Yeah Joe Maher's old BMX was a black frame with pink tyres.....looked pretty much the same as above.

Basically i really want to get into BMX, and mainly dirt jumping. I really have little idea about what's good and what isn't so any help would be appreciated. I'm looking at the DK 6 pack and some of the WeThePeople models. I have around £200-£300 to spend on a starter dirt jump BMX, so any help is appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

Can you get bmx bars that are slightly wider so i feel more comfortable switching from bike to bike.

It's hard to tell from pictures.

winstanleys quote widths on quite a few of their bars so you can check there and then go buy from somewhere else.

as a general rule they hover around the 25" mark - give or take a half inch or so

however - some cunning research has revealed the following

Metal bikes Sasquatch are 28"

S&M slams are also 28" (*cough* design classic *cough*)

Like poopipe said most bars are around the 25" mark. Some bars however (like slams) are real tall and have a enormous support bar which i'm not a fan of. Chances are your current bars are 7.25" tall, give or take .25" :P

If you like high bars then defenatly go with some slams or badger bars.

I ride macneil lighter 5's. 7" tall 5 degree backsweep which makes them slightly longer. (that wasn't the reason for having 5 degree though)

The wide range of choice, is yours :)

Please please don't buy from winstanleys

[edit] How do i spell defenatly???

Edited by eskimo