Pad Reviews

Mark W

Phat pads, Smooth rim with tar bite and hold very well, even in the wet at dj ride they were working enough so i could ride they held on alot but not right on the edge, but this is smooth rim im talking about in the wet ha.

very happy with them in the dry expecially.

tried them with a grind aswell work justas good but slipped more :S maybe my bleed is just really bad ha

Doubtful the rim was wet then, Id be very supprised if any pad on smooth rim that is actually wet will work.

Pads: Coust

Time used: about a month

Rim used: Monty rear 20" with 24mm holes

Grind: Mid

Ceraminc: nope

Brake used: Maggie hs33 (the old one), water bleed with a little bit of tar

What is your opinion of a working brake: Workds AMANZING on natural spots, on street are a beast. MEGALOUD squeak. I'm in love with it...

Edited by dani_elprat@hotmail.com

Now had my heatsink cnc yellows for about 3 months so thought I would give another review :)

Setup is hs33 with RB lever, bled with emulsion fluid, rim has a sharp medium grind. Due to the flex in the ti frame and the small carbon booster Im using there is noticeable flex compared to other maggie setups Ive felt.

Bite is still amazing, the hold was failing so I refreshed the grind and its all good now, slipped a couple of times on the abingdon DJ ride but I think that was down to me being tired with weak fingers :D

The noise is just as loud as when first fitted, a bit annoying sometimes but reassuringly constant.

Riding all day in the rain in abingdon the brake performed flawlessly despite never drying out, performance was easily equal to dry weather :)

Next pads will still be heatsinks! (Y)

I'll try to keep this short and simple.

Setup:

LGM pads in heatsink backings

05 maggy water bled

08 echo lever with chorillas TPA

echo tr brake clamp

07 echo rim light sharp grind (I think it's 07...)

Two little problems.

Firstly, heatsink backings combined with these LGM pads and standard brake clamps there were too thick to fit inbetween my rim and the cylinders, TPA all the way out and the pads were still touching the rim making it unridable. I had to sand off about 1mm of material before there was enough room to clear my rim. People with tensile offset mounts won't have this problem. Won't be a problem either if you are using TNN or the new phatpad backings. Secondly, the 2 bits that stick out on the pads (the bits that fit into the backings) was too wide to fit in the heatsink backings. I had to cut off about 1mm in total on both sides before it would fit into the backings.

So what are they like?! FREAKING AWESOME! They certainly hold just like the CRMs and I do dare to say LGMs are even better! Just like Le@Tnn says, these have raw power with excellent bite and holding power. They just hold on everything I do, ok they did slip but I have an odd grind, pads don't hold as well if my wheel spins backwards. Pedal hops, wheel swaps, gaps or even just jumping around on the back wheel these pads hold!

Also, these are the best bads I've used in the wet as well. It wasn't raining yesterday and today so to simulate the rain I poured water on my pads and rim. As most people know, when pads are wet they significantly loose that bite and hold but the difference in these LGM pads from dry to wet is much much less then you would imagine. The bite and hold is still there and I was actually comfortable riding them when wet, the honk noise is still there if you are bothered by sound of pads. I've used phat pads and coust pads in heatsink backings, rock blue pads, old CRMs and boxx browns in power backings and to be honest none of them held better than these LGMs when wet.

You really need to try these out for yourself to understand just how good these are. I would actually say these are serious competition to phatpads as well! I'm coming to the Reading ride too, so if you want a try feel free to ask me! I'm on a silver czar mod, and I'll probably be the only chinese there so you shouldn't be able to not see me :P

Here's a few pics of the pads and the packaging they come in, I hope Le doesn't mind me posting them up!

dscf3052bbn.jpg

dscf3053f.jpg

dscf3054.jpg

dscf3057.jpg

dscf3058.jpg

Edited by weirdoku

Tried some CRMs the other day to get a rough idea of how the TNN's might preform.

Must say that they are bloody marvellous, by far the best pads I've ever had. Ran Rockman blues before the change and they just didn't want to hold and had no bite. Same with Cousts. The CRM's worked badly for the first hour or so but later they were just amazing. It's the first time in a couple of years that I'm running a worn grind with no tar whatsoever. They also perform quite well in the wet.

My only problem with this compound is that it's rather soft and makes the brake spongy. Still, I've kicked out my Bluberry pads on the front and whacked some CRM's on. Can't wait to try them out.

A review of TNN's brake products:

The Backings: Well these are really well machined alu backings, nice and slim but super stiff with simple, deep recesses for the pad to sit into. They come media blasted to give a nice, keyed surface to stick to. They're really light too, the pad material weighs much more than the backing its self. The O ring clip is simple, a bit of lube (didn't wanna risk getting it on the surface/rim, so I just used good ol' fashioned spit) and the shaft slides gently into the lubed, tight hole until its fully engaged and secure. Can't really fault 'em, maybe a little pricey compared to others on the market but not majorly exensive for the performance. 9/10

CRM Compound: Started these off on a dead grind, ass soon as they were fitted they had a nice honk and a fair bit of bite. Dragged down a small hill i hit them with some pretty hardcore natural, all the rocks dip at around 90 degrees so theres pretty much no flat surfaces, so hold was key here. In the first hour they had increasing bite and noise, the hold within the first hour wasn't up to that of Koxx Browns, but still perfecty adequte and would have been fine on street. After the bedding in hour, the bite and noise had increased to nothing short of amazing, excellent. The hold had also improved to around that of Koxx Browns which are imo the best holding pads around. I got a punny so reground my rim, and for whatever reason I found the bite, hold and noise all slightly decreased, and began to get better as the grind wore smoother again. Definately better on lighter, deader grinds in my experience. I've used them for about a month, and they've worn about 3mm of pretty consistent use of about 4 times a week riding. They didn't work at all for me in the wet, thats their only fault really. 8/10

LGM Compound Had these on for a couple of days now, they're not fully bedded in so will update after they have. However, they immidiately had a louder honk and amazing bite, even compared to the amazing CRMs. The hold wasn't quite as good obviously, but they wern't formed to the shape of the rim at all. After a days riding, the hold is excellent, way up there with the Koxx browns and CRMs of this world. This is on a deadish grind that the CRMs were on. They havn't worn at all in the full days riding, theres no sign of that white dust around the edges you get with some pads. Not tried in the wet yet, but will update when it rains and i can be arsed getting wet. For now, Baller/10

This was on a yaabaa 1499 with try-all 2 bolt booster, try-all rim using Magura slaves on an old Dengura lever bled with water. Clamps are standard Magura 4 bolts, using 2 sets of the lower clamps so i can get away without a washer.

Available from Tartybikes at £28.38.

My review of the TNN LGM's-

A run down on my brake set-up:

- Ashton Justice

- Two bolt booster

- Trial Tech rim

- Old medium grind

Pads used: Basically the lot!

Riding Experience: 8 years solid.

I thought about writing a review about the LGM's when I was in Australia but it would be unfair because of weather/ terrain differences compared with the UK. Also, I have tested the brake intensely on street, natural, woody environment and wet and damp terrain.

I have ridden the LGM's for approximately three months. I knew after riding them for the second time that we was on to a winner! I am not the type of person to go screaming and shouting how good they are on first impressions! I was very sceptical if these were going to maintain this newly discovered awesome performance! After installing the LGM's I noticed how solid the lever felt when pulling the brake, I love the sensation of a tight brake set-up.

I weigh 90kg so finding a decent set of pads that I can trust and be confident that they wont slip is vital for me. The LGM compound fulfilled my breif. They provide raw power and confidence.

The Dry- come on.... every bloody pad works in the dry!!! BUT these have an ultimate hold!

Wet/ raining ridiculously hard- When I was testing these pads in the rain I was riding natural. Normally I would sit back and wait for the rain to clear but with the LGM's I carried on riding. The pads maintained plenty of bit and even made a squeak!

Damp/ forest/ mossy/ muddy- suprisingly I love the LGM's the most in this sort of environment. The damp atmosphere causes the pads to grip to rim with the slightest pull of the lever. I have just got back from a typical english quarry ride, riding in the woods through puddles ect. The LGM's were ready for it all.

Boiling Hot! Tops off weather- Fantastic! I honestly thought that the LGM's performance would alter when I rode in the UK again compared to Australia. Just because it is a hell of a lot warmer in Aus. But.... No they havent! In fact I have found that the performance of the LGM's have improved. Or maybe its because I compared them to my mates brakes...

Well thats my opinion...

Conclusion:

Raw power, solid bite, oh did I forget to say that Im still using the original set Le gave me... Endurence and wear is definitely a bonus to the LGM's. Asthetically amazing! Extensive research and development! Fantastic feedback from other top riders such as TRA, Stan Shaw and Ali C!

Cheers,

Lewis.

What's the wear life on the greens like to the yellow's? My friends yellow wore down to like 2mm in like a week, but I'm intrested in the greens

I had them on for a day on a fresh medium gring, only about 2 mm wore down. My CRMs is wearing down quicker than I expected as well, it's a few mm off the prongs on the cylinders.

And these pads were surposed to be good :L

Il try The new Phatpads......

Read my review on the LGM's. The wear life is awesome! Im still using the same set from three months ago.

Im sure someone is telling fibs about the CRM's or their grind was as rough as a dogs ass! 2mm in a day... Ill ride with that guy! He sounds like a machine!

Old Zoo's on smooth rim for the summer, then when winter comes grind your rim and use Koxx pads :)

I had a grind on before and I have just sanded it down and then put the zoos on it took a while to bed in but well worth the wait once bedded in they were great cheers

My friends crm wore down like half in the first couple of hours, his rim had a traty's light grind which you couldn't even fell :L

he rang tarty's and they said they could do nothing about it unless they wore down more.......

Just to add some info to this.

Here is the picture we were sent: http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu203/p...ek/SNV31022.jpg

You can see that the grind has a very nice texture but the pads aren't set up perfectly square which has caused the quick initial wear.

Our reply was:

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for the pictures.

In my experience that is normal when the pads are bedding in. The wear

rate will now slow right down as the pads are squared up to the rim. I

would recommend not dragging the brake excessively as this will also

make the pads wear quickly.

Please continue to use the brake 'normally' and if the wear rate does

not slow down we are happy to take the pads back for inspection.

Thanks

Adam