Pad Reviews

Mark W

Pads: Heatsink yellow Vee pads

Time used: Month and a half

Rim used: Echo Urban 26"

Grind: Yes

Brake used: SD7 lever and SD7 calipers, onza adapters, simtra built in booster.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Very bitey, very strong hold, noise is a bonus.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: I've ran coustsinks, ZOO!s 203mm BB7 standard pads heatsink reds. Its hard to make a fair comparison of these pads since they were all used with a magura, this is a vee brake which has different qualities, notably EPIC hold (i'm 18 stone and the wheel doesn't move backwards where maguras and even my disc have failed me (Y) )

Review:

Figured it'd be fairer to write about the whole setup, and comment on Vees and cable brakes since there still tabboo. I've been riding dual disc for the last 18 months, which has been really fun, the brake always worked; modulated, held and even a bit grabby if it was damp. I prefer the feel of cables to maguras and if i ride another bike with maggys my arms pump up really fast. so if your thinking about going cable do it (Y) Heatsink pads have been very strange, i rode my vee with the stock avid pads for an afternoon and they were actually quite impressive, silent with a squeek if the wheel tried to move backwards they'd only slip if i tried doing rolling moves, where they'd full on shit themselves an coat my rim in pad and leave me on my arse (N) there probably fantastic on the front though :D so i got the heatsink vee pads, the amount of pad material you get is silly! i had to move the vee-dapters all the way out and keep my rim really true for a few weeks, so i made a conscious effort to run the pads down a bit so i can use the centered mounts, so i can't say alot about the wear characteristics. they seem fair though. On a good day these pads are bitey with alot of forward hold (vees usually offer more hold backwards) i've riden in the rain with them and they don't loose to much power but i wasn't confident enough to try any bit gaps, fine for taps and sidehops though. somedays if my grind was off or something? they'd just turn shit, hardly any noise or bite even if i'd just be doing little manuals or pedal kicks outside, very scary :( TNNs next, then cousts.. hope that helped someone. also worth commenting that with a vee it's really easy to tinker with the brake and dial it in just how you want it which is great if your piss bored on a train (Y)

TNN has just sent Ali C some prototype LGV pads for testing with all new backing (interchangeable with LGM only 1mm thinner) should be out soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: Rock Blues.

Time used: About 3 weeks.

Rim used: Echo Urban.

Grind: Yes.

Brake used: 05 Magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: Instant bite, infinite hold and a nice loud honk.

Pads used before: Heatsink Snowies, Onza Limes, TNN CRM's.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Best brake i've ever had.

Review:

Firstly, my brake set-up is an 05 maggie, 4-finger lever, 74kings TPA with a waterbleed.

I took these pads out the plastic backings when I got them and stuck them into my Heatsink CNC backings. Required a small amount of cutting but got a PERFECT fit. :)

I gave my rim a fresh grind, light-medium-ish. Set my brake up absolutely perfectely square and the pads have so much material I only just managed to set my brake up with the pistons all the way out. So I went out for a test ride.

At first, they were shockingly bad. I was just gapping about up curbs and stuff and the bite and hold was awful. But I went out for a proper ride and the brake was getting louder and louder and more bitey. After about 2 hours riding my brake was INSANE! Bitey as f**k and the hold was decent.

Now, the bite is still awesome and the hold is incredible. Pretty much never slips. Was out riding in the rain and snow, brake got a wee bit worse but hardly atall. Mainly because my grind is going dead I think. Still no signs of pad wear atall.

Absolutely LOVE these pads, always gonna buy them from nowon.

For anyone interested I got them Mikey C for £15 posted which is the cheapest you'll find them. Add him on MSN.

Pads: Rockman Blue Magura

Time used: 4-5 months

Rim used: Echo urban 19"

Grind: Semi hardcore :giggle:

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: Magura + Echo TR lever

What is your opinion of a working brake: When grind is fresh break work ok, but 2 trainings leater it has 1/2 power. They have minimum modulation, and they shouting :angry:

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: On water/mud rockman have much power than echo green, but in sunny day i must give lever more power.

Review:

I'm think that rockman are good pads but they need breake booster! And you need to grind your rim often.

In 1-10 points?

I thinging that If blend will be softer pads will be perfect.

Edited by Nyczek

Pads: 44Tango/Caelifera Tuffak (Polycarbonate backings)

Time used: 5 months?

Rim used: DX32

Grind: Yes/Tar

Brake used: Magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: One that locks the wheel no matter how bad you screw up your line.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: A lot better than Moe/Spanish Fly pads.

Review: Worked great for the first few months, then started to not be so awesome. Needed tar to really work.. The little bit that holds the O-Ring in broke off on both pads, causing them to not retract at times. Pad material quickly didn't hold into the backing anymore.

If you buy them I do not recommend the Tuffak model. Also, the pad material was too thick for me to setup my brake correctly, I had to trim them down.

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: Rock Blues in plastic backs

Time used: New set- so a quick hop in the house

Rim used: Trialtech rear

Grind: Yes- fairly harsh. Nothing TOO major though.

Brake used: Magura, water/antifreeze bleed. 05 lever, 4-finger blade.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Stupid noise, stupid bite, good hold(not essential, though)

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Rock greens, koxx blues, TNNs, cousts, plaz crms..............

Review: So far, whilst still bedding in, they're just daft, the noise isn't much yet, but still pretty loud. The bite is there though, stops you like a wall. And they're only gonna get better as I ride them for longer. Don't forget that they've been used for a total of about 5 mins.

Just wondering what Pads you guys would recomend for a smooth trialtech rim...notice Damon running one on one of the vids and obviously his brake working pretty well! i have read back into this thread and snowies seem to be good but what would others recomend? TNN's? just got back into trials so no idea whats hot at whats not atm!

Anyone tried the new cnc rockman blue pads off of tarrtty ? looking for advice on which cnc backinged pad will b the best (tnn,heatsink, rockman) thanks guys :)

I am running a set on the rear at the moment and i have to say they are very good! The rock blue compound is a very good compound, so they are very good even when fitted to plastic backings. Recently i have ran TNN LGM's on the rear and then changed to the rockman CNC's and i have to say that i think the rockpad does have a slight edge on the LGM's in terms of hold, bite and noise are similar but the hold is slight better, even on a dead grind, this is something I realy notice being around 19.5st!! The cnc backing might not look as fancy as the TNN pads, but its an alu backing, the way it is machined is going to make very little difference to the stiffness, the only difference might be in the weight, but its a brake pad, so that doesn't realy matter.......

I have my LGM's on the front now, which might be abit extreme :P

Adam

Pads: Onza Citrus, the yellow pads

Time used: a few hours

Rim used: Onza rim

Grind: Yes. Possibly quite a sharp one.

Brake used: Oil-bled magura 05+ with a tensile booster.

What is your opinion of a working brake: A brake that locks and holds real good

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Not as good as the koxx yellows. Better than my koxx browns, i think, but they were dodgy.

Review: They've worn down too much to be useable. They were on my mate's bike, he didn't do any trials cause his hub was skipping. He rode around town and by the end of the ride, both levers pulled all the way in, on full TPA.

They seemed to be reasonable performance, not that I did any proper riding on them.

I think they're made for a smooth rim, lol.

I am running a set on the rear at the moment and i have to say they are very good! The rock blue compound is a very good compound, so they are very good even when fitted to plastic backings. Recently i have ran TNN LGM's on the rear and then changed to the rockman CNC's and i have to say that i think the rockpad does have a slight edge on the LGM's in terms of hold, bite and noise are similar but the hold is slight better, even on a dead grind, this is something I realy notice being around 19.5st!! The cnc backing might not look as fancy as the TNN pads, but its an alu backing, the way it is machined is going to make very little difference to the stiffness, the only difference might be in the weight, but its a brake pad, so that doesn't realy matter.......

I have my LGM's on the front now, which might be abit extreme :P

Adam

thanks man :)

thinking of going rockman fron and rear by the sounds of things .. just ground rims and they are sat doing nout so new grind + new pads will be mint

thanks for the advice :)

btw you running dual maggie .. could do with knowing what the difference of 4 finger (or deng) make to power and wether its worth having the extra power given by 4 finger levers without a booster ?

taa guys :)

x

thanks man :)

thinking of going rockman fron and rear by the sounds of things .. just ground rims and they are sat doing nout so new grind + new pads will be mint

thanks for the advice :)

btw you running dual maggie .. could do with knowing what the difference of 4 finger (or deng) make to power and wether its worth having the extra power given by 4 finger levers without a booster ?

x

I am running dual magura, and the 4 finger lever blades make a MASSIVE difference on the power of the brake, afterall you are getting a whole lot more leverage, meaning more pressure is being transmitted to the rim, I would deffinatly recomend them!!

Adam

x

I am running dual magura, and the 4 finger lever blades make a MASSIVE difference on the power of the brake, afterall you are getting a whole lot more leverage, meaning more pressure is being transmitted to the rim, I would deffinatly recomend them!!

Adam

I have one too and pretty much what he said, you notice alot more power! But I would reccommend getting a booster if you get one. With a booster the 4-finger lever barely made my brake flex anymore either.

Pads:RockMan Blues CNC

Time used:Just about 3 weaks

Rim used:Onza Ronnie

Brake used: Magura Water Bleed

What is your opinion of a working brake: Nice sharp bite, amazing hold (Y).

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Best pads iv ever had

Review: They have bed-in and the results are amazing, the bite is very very sharp and locks up instantly, the hold is not bad I gess, but, im not running a booster.

Sum up, very very good pads, I really recommend them (Y).

Edited by t-bird tom

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: V!Z HS33

Time used: 6 months

Rim used: Try-all 26"

Grind: No

Brake used: Magura HS33, with Echo 2 Bolt Booster

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Ive only used standard magura pads before, these are twice as good

Review: When i first fitted them, i was well impressed with their intial bite, they hold better than standard pads, but i could do with a bit more, they make a nice sound too. I am running a smooth rim. I have started to use them with tar now, and i must say they like running with tar, awesome bite and hold and the sound is more of a shriek than a squeak lol :D. 8/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: Phat pads

Time used: 3weeks

Rim used: Planet X

Brake used: Magura Water Bleed

What is your opinion of a working brake: Nice sharp bite, Hold very good.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Very good, Loads more bite!

Review: Hold very good with a grind and no tar! I'm running a 4bolt booster too and still holds me very good I would buy another pair of Phat pads when I kill these ones (Y)

• 3 weeks later...

Without having to go out and buy new pads, does anyone know what might be wrong with my rear brake? Theres literally no grip, can ride along with the brake fully on. I've cleaned the rim and pads and still nothing.

Brake: HS33 4-bolt with Carbon brake booster

Rim: Onza Ronnie

Grind: No

Pads: Coust

Any ideas? Needs bleeding? Contaminated pads/rim?

Thanks.