Fixed Cogs

Davetrials

Well recently at halfords i broke a kiddies bike so i had to take the back wheel off, only to notice the fixed cog(usually on 12" bikes) can screw off :ermm:

They cum in loadsa sizes, ive seen 12-16-18-19-20-21

Go to your local tip, find a kiddes bike steal the wheel, rip i apart jam the hub ina vice and wack a chain wip around the cog :huh:

Saved your self £15-20 ^_^

Gonna phone up my lbs see if they sell any ^_^ cheers for the tip :ermm:

Just phoned em and they sell em for about £6.99, sorted ^_^ :huh: . He said theyre 1/8" though (for wider chains) - which should be better as i run a kmc cool anyway.

Edited by Nozmeister

What are they made of though? Wouldn't it be a weaker metal as they are built for kiddies bikes and dont require the strength that trials riders need for kicking the cranks round fast and hard? I'm sure in time (and not too much) they would just simply snap.

What are they made of though? Wouldn't it be a weaker metal as they are built for kiddies bikes and dont require the strength that trials riders need for kicking the cranks round fast and hard? I'm sure in time (and not too much) they would just simply snap.

Well no because the cogs we use are just road bike track cogs, but labled up 3x the price ^_^

Stu

Well no because the cogs we use are just road bike track cogs, but labled up 3x the price :o

Stu

BUT arent the monty, koxx and echo uns different to yours(material wise)?

and what would snap on them? Teeth? cos i thought theyd be cheap&steel

if this is true, theyd be less prone to bending :o

:"> just a little theory........

But then it wouldn't fit on the hub if the thread was different?

thats what i read on a site....trialsinusa.com....it was talking about echo trak cogs having closer threads.....copy:

12 tooth are the standard for the rear of front freewheel mod bikes. If you are using front freewheel cranks, but want to use cassette type rear hub then the 18 tooth is the choice for you. Always grease the threads (preferably lithium grease) before installing. Also, if you are looking at another brand of cog (like off the shelf track cogs) MAKE SURE there are plenty of threads! We have seen more than one stripped crank and hub due to sprockets not having enough threads to handle the force of of trials riders..

??? :o

thats what i read on a site....trialsinusa.com....it was talking about echo trak cogs having closer threads.....copy:

12 tooth are the standard for the rear of front freewheel mod bikes. If you are using front freewheel cranks, but want to use cassette type rear hub then the 18 tooth is the choice for you. Always grease the threads (preferably lithium grease) before installing. Also, if you are looking at another brand of cog (like off the shelf track cogs) MAKE SURE there are plenty of threads! We have seen more than one stripped crank and hub due to sprockets not having enough threads to handle the force of of trials riders..

??? :o

That refers to the width of the overall cog, as in how many threads there are, not how big each thread is

The Onza 12 tooth fixed sprocket I had got slightly bent on each tooth due to the effect of trials, but when I got a new wheel, I put a Monty sprocket on it, and the chain doesnt even leave a mark on that one. I'm more inclined to think that the quality of the sprocket on the kids bikes are not dissimilar to that of the onza sprocket, which would mean a Monty one, for example, would be better quality, and stronger.

So na! :blink:

Edited by andyroo

The Onza 12 tooth fixed sprocket I had got slightly bent on each tooth due to the effect of trials, but when I got a new wheel, I put a Monty sprocket on it, and the chain doesnt even leave a mark on that one.

Did you get a new chain at the same time as fitting the new sprocket?

My point exactly, being thicker, it muct obviously be of overall better quality than a cheap kiddies bike one.

The chain is a relatively new KMC Kool thin, the bb's too big anyway so it runs at a funny angle, so if its gonna do anything, it sould have done it by now... I hope. :blink:"

My point exactly, being thicker, it muct obviously be of overall better quality

How does that makes sense? It means its heavier, so :( Must be crap :blink: Kidding, but you get my point...

We've had a few problems with people not being able to fit KMC Kool thin chains onto Monty sprockets, so, dunno whats going on there! :S