All Torque, No Trousers

hititfaster

LMFAO!

"Div" i really have no idea on it thats why im waiting for the "Formula" to work it out. i know it might be tomorrow but it will be funny to know.

i could even enlighten my boss and Akrigg with it.haha

the words that would spring to sumones mind who is half pro and wants to ride is "What alot of bollox!"

it would be nice to know why the guy wants to know the figures in the 1st place? as surely unless your designing a hub you wouldnt need to know  :P  or have i just given it away? mind you it would be hard to make a hub that would work as thats why there are big companies like hope in the world who do it and there design is so gud some people would never need more than a hope hub.

Waynio........................

just my opinion really.i dont wanna offend anyone  :o

Sorry wasn't aimed at you, I was just asking because I wanted to know, but because I was talking to the mrs on the phone by the time I'd finished typing, you lot had posted. :o

I then noticed that Tarts later posts use Radius not diameter so was I right Adam??

Also leave Ad's alone he knows his shizzle, also if anythings thats an over-estimation as the pawls are not at the centre of the sprocket and thereby will not recieve the full torque at the centre. I thinks (Y)"

EDIT

That's the maximum possbile tension as the chain will snap above that, and most people do not apply that much power.

Edited by div

See, now youre just taking the piss.

:o

from what i can gather,or im assuming im trying to workout my "torque" thing.

i dont understand how you calculate the chain tension?or also how it is measured? newton metres of kg/ft?

if a kmc kool chain breaks at 1300kg of torque? does that mean (well it must) we wont have any where near that as that chain is literally indestructable.

Waynio.............

from what i can gather,or im assuming im trying to workout my "torque" thing.

i dont understand how you calculate the chain tension?or also how it is measured? newton metres of kg/ft?

if a kmc kool chain breaks at 1300kg of torque? does that mean (well it must) we wont have any where near that as that chain is literally indestructable.

Waynio.............

Theres not much point in calculating chain tension, since the MAXIUM it will apply is its breaking load. Which is 1300kg in the case of a Kool chain. Thats the equivalent of hanging something that 'weighs' 1300kg off it.

Torque is rotational, force is linear. You cant mix them. The formula involving them if in an earlier post of mine :o

If you 'weigh' 80kg, and stand (not bouncing etc) on a pedal, and your cranks are 175mm long, the tension in your chain will be:

Torque applied at the BB axle: 785N x 0.175m = 137.4Nm

Radius of 22T chainring = approx 48mm, so using the same formula:

137.4Nm = tension in chain x 0.048m

Which comes out at 2862.5N, which is 291.8kg. Nowhere near the breaking load (1300kg) of a Kool chain.

Exunctly, just like the pawls experience less torque as they aren't at the centre of the sprocket. :o

EDIT

Damn you Adam and your lack of flood control. :o

What is a Nm?? I know its newton metres, but what does it mean?? (Y)

Edited by div

I was simply saying the correct figure,it wasnt me that twisted it and spat it back out,Yes tarts was a close guess i was just saying the actual one.

I wasnt the one bringing companys and things into it and jumbling it up.

Lee

p.s i wasnt the one trying to take the piss and being a dick.

Edited by Mr Koxx

I don't know you at all, but you're being such willy in here Lee! Proper childish, yeah Tart was wrong, 'least didn't turn it into some little bitch fight.Great representation of koxx and cleanbikes.

What was that supposed to mean ?? Know you dont know me,however i wasnt the one that started this arguement,and you had no need to stick your nose in anyway.And its got nothing to do with koxx or cleanbikes nor have i. Bar buying parts form them.

lee

Well, you're sponsored by them aren't you, or is it Aire Valley now after you broke so many of the XTPs?

Either way, you being a willy in here, you representing them as a rider for their shop. 2 +2 =

lee sponsored by them?only person i know him to be sponsored by is hope, airevalley and heatsink, i'm best mates with him and i didnt know, its either you been smoking the grass or me?

how many xtps has he broke then i thought it was only one due to the shoddy manufacturing

hardly a willy, just stating his oppinion and stating what he knew!!!

reagrds ash :o

Edited by trialnoir

Mr Koxx, your figure was worked out by an engineer who happens to work at hope. Ad and me for that matter are also both engineers with knowledge in mechanics of materials. Look at it this way, if you have enough power to break a kmc kool chain then you will kill the Hope Trials Hub. Neither figure is wrong, neither is exactly correct. In this business all figures are usually ball park figures, which should then have a safety factor of not less than 3 (1.5 for the aeronautical industry due to weight constraints).

Im now going to pre-emt your smoke me comment, and say grow up. This is a mature question asked by someone who actually has a clue about engineering and will therefore know not to use the figure Ad produced as a gospel one. Your figures are very similar and so why cause all these arguments?

I know if i was tom i would take both your figures and round them up to say 600NM, job done.

Mr Koxx, your figure was worked out by an engineer who happens to work at hope.  Ad and me for that matter are also both engineers with knowledge in mechanics of materials.  Look at it this way, if you have enough power to break a kmc kool chain then you will kill the Hope Trials Hub.  Neither figure is wrong, neither is exactly correct.  In this business all figures are usually ball park figures, which should then have a safety factor of not less than 3 (1.5 for the aeronautical industry due to weight constraints).

Im now going to pre-emt your smoke me comment, and say grow up.  This is a mature question asked by someone who actually has a clue about engineering and will therefore know not to use the figure Ad produced as a gospel one.  Your figures are very similar and so why cause all these arguments?

I know if i was tom i would take both your figures and round them up to say 600NM, job done.

i quite agree with what you are saying in terms of rounding up but you said this towards mr koxx who has used this hub but i also use this hub and i am an engineer who works at rolls royce and i have a clue about engineering as a make some of the worlds finest aircraft engines! :o

somehow i dont understand, i have broken a kmc chain on my bmx but have never killed the trial hub it has merely skipped?

i didnt know we were causing arguments

regards ash

i have broken a kmc chain on my bmx but have never killed the trial hub it has merely skipped?

Probably because BMX places completely different demands on chains. Something very obvious if you are, or claim yourself to be, any sort of engineer.

Probably because BMX places completely different demands on chains. Something very obvious if you are, or claim yourself to be, any sort of engineer.

exscuse me, i agree with what you are saying bmx does put different demands on chains, but i dont know how you have the cheek to say i CLAIM to be an engineer, when i have been voted for and won numerous enginering awards for my work at rolls royce

who caused the arguements ?

Your matey tart No shit sherlock started it.

I just returned the flavour.

I was simply saying that the figure we got of the designer of the trials hub.

Lee

And being a total dick in doing so? e.g. "SMOKE ME", "eat shit", "the pussy is in the middle in genral" and "his magic calculator knows how deep a pussy is evem nefore hes dipped his wick."? What the fuck do you gain from posting shit like that?

What's your job at Rolls Royce (at trialnoir), just out of curiosity? Do you do any of the design work or just sorta production floor work?

Are Hope going to need to radically alter their new hub then seeing as it's skipping, or is it just small fiddly shit that needs doing?

With regards about the chain breaking stuff, isn't it going to break where the links were joined, as opposed to it being the max. load the chain can take? Or are you all talking about actually snapping the side plates or something?

I made them comments because tart was being a bellend.Just trying to start arguements like this one. Anyway wastign time with you lot. U all obvioulsy lick his arse,all i was doing was stating wat i new abou the hub comign form the desgner himself. So think what you want to be honest fanny give ten shits.

Lee

Edited by Mr Koxx