Kersnap!

george_seamons

I took my bike into school today, as I always do when it is non-school uniform for the lower school (non-normal uniform = non-uniform bike as far as I'm concerened :))

Played around outside school at break and lunch with no problems...but the it came to going home. I went to backwheel a road sign (the ones that say the street name).

I made it twice...then went to do it a third, but didn't quite make into onto the top. As I jumped off, my pedal just fell to the ground, along with half the driveside crank arm :blink:

I didn't notice until I went to pedal away, only to find my right foot went straight to the floor instead of onto the pedal :)

Going to try and get them warrentied ASAP. I rang Middleburn when I got home, but there was no answer (I presume they leave at 4 on a Friday)

I know there's a couple of people that have snapped 'burns on here, and I was wondering what the procedure was.

I take it I just get the snapped arm replaced, or the whole set? Obviously the second option would be nicer, but not in Middleburn's eyes :)

Anyway, enough talk...here are the cranks in question:

gallery_482_53_41041.jpg

Hahaha I've snapped a driveside and non-driveside arm on two different sets of middleburns. I never bothered to get them warrantied.

Whilst on this subject, and so not to open another topic, has any one had any luck replacing there middleburns on warranty due to taper knackerdness?

do they replace them free then as the last i heard it was 30 quid crash replacement as that isnt a manufacturing defect.

But looking at the end grain, it does look pretty spazzed up.

Two people have told me the black bit is probably where there was already a crack...but the rest of the metal seems a bit bubbly?

EDIT: Here's the pic. Best I can get unfortunatly :blink:

gallery_482_53_13698.jpg

But looking at the end grain, it does look pretty spazzed up.

Two people have told me the black bit is probably where there was already a crack...but  the rest of the metal seems a bit bubbly?

I'll try and get a decent picture.

Yea, it does look mega dodgy, about 1/3 of the way accross is black.... :blink:

Whilst on this subject, and so not to open another topic, has any one had any luck replacing there middleburns on warranty due to taper knackerdness?

Mr Granger had a pair of splined middleburns warrantied after the splines got scared and ran away...

So im guessing square taper is the same, as long as its like a fault and not you forgetting to tighten your crank bolts!! :blink:

sam

You must have noticed your cranks were feeling wrong, don't just happen like that.

(Didn't notice MR Reid had put that)

I don't think they will warrany that but try anyway

Nope. Everything seemed normal.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying I was riding really smooth and well today.

EDIT: If they don't warrenty it...it's a bit stingy. 'Tis hardly my fault they snapped that bad. Well, it is....but you know what I mean.

I guess I shall find out once I've rung them up.

Nope. Everything seemed normal.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying I was riding really smooth and well today.

That's mad. I would have thought that you would have felt a little bit of movement/flex but atleast you didn't hurt yourself in the process

Thing is, youre not stressing the cranks in that plane, thats why you couldnt feel extra flex.

Id say crash replacement is kinda generous really... cranks arent meant to be slammed into walls :)

But they are trials cranks :blink:

If I don't get a replacement...it's going to be the end of me and trials for a while :)

I simply cannot afford to replace them. I'm literally putting every penny I find into the bank.

Thing is, youre not stressing the cranks in that plane, thats why you couldnt feel extra flex.

It depends if it was his good foot because I always lean on that foot when cruising along and that makes cranks flex abit if you get me :blink:

Middleburn wouldnt replace my mates cranks under warrenty. he streched the splines on his isis 'burns B)

thats the first pic ive seen of some snapped 'burns >_<

But that's more his fault though.

He should have kept an eye on the tightness of the cranks.

However, I know from past experience, that Middleburn ISIS cranks come undone quite easily B)