Python Copy Problems

SQuiT-man

Hi,

This is to anyone who has ridden the new python copy (black dog?).

Ive heard there is a problem about them involving chain rubbing or something? Someone said it leads to the frame snapping...

Is this true?

How badly does it rub, and can someone describe the problem?

Also, how do they ride, and hows the weight?

Cheers,

Scott

mine doesnt rub and necer has, i think only reason peoples has rubbed is due to bb lenght, mines a short one out of my old monty x-hydra, i think people with longer bbs get chain rub. ride real nice i think. not the lightest though, but depending on what components u have there not too bad.

Edited by halliday

I have a python copy. When i first built it it did have chain rub, it wasn't harsh but it was still putting a groove in the chain stay. But now I have sorted it. I have changed the spacer on the non-drive side to a smaller one. Its about 1/4 of the size of the origanel spacer (echo wheel). I then placed the snail cams on each side and fitted the wheel in. I am running a KMC kool chain and all seems well! No chain rub. The chain is close but it doesn't rub (Y) Here she is (Y)

Image028.jpg

Edited by thesubway

My chain hasn't been rubbing against anything (Y)

The bike is reasonably light, would be nicer if it was a little liter I supose, but aparently "it dosen't need to be any lighter" according to all the bmx's i sometimes go riding with. There opinion isn't really to relevent really though because there bikes weigh loads.

My frame hasn't snapped as yet though(touch wood), and it rides really nice, looks sweet to.

Calum

My chain hasn't been rubbing against anything (Y)

The bike is reasonably light, would be nicer if it was a little liter I supose, but aparently "it dosen't need to be any lighter" according to all the bmx's i sometimes go riding with.  There opinion isn't really to relevent really though because there bikes weigh loads. 

My frame hasn't snapped as yet though(touch wood), and it rides really nice, looks sweet to.

Calum

You have a picture of your bike?

Chai told me he is using a standard bmx chain or mtb chain its one of the two as his chain used to ruub, obviously now it doesnt.

He likes the frame and well he rides it well and it seems in good shape.

They are very nice frame sindeed i was doing to buy one but the chain rub problem put me off as knoing my luck something would have gone wrong. lso i cant use a normal chain fat bmx one for me as they always snap

Edited by Michael Hardman

yup mine works perfectly... held up to dents really well to.. until i sat on it on a wall :"> now theres abit one on the downtube... ah well.. its a really good frame.. and for the money u cant go wrong really... i might even buy another one when mine dies lol... (Y)

u could even drill holes in it and it still wouldnt break (Y)

had the chain rubbing but as micheal said sorted it out buy using a mtb chain.. i have my spocket fairly close to the frame so if i moved that out it would give it more clearance as well..

can also safely say those who have rode my bike really like it as well.. :D

Edited by TheChai

wow thanks guys.

p.s. that is a GEORGEOUS bike!!

Hey Chai, Im probably abouty ur height (I saw u in one of ur videos- amasing riding!), do you think I should upgrade my t-pro 04 to a black dog/mumba? Or is it more for lanky people? How is it for things liek hops to manuals, etc?

Or do you think I should just save up and get a monty 221 ti secondhand?

Thanks 4 ur help

yup mine works perfectly... held up to dents really well to.. until i sat on it on a wall  :">  now theres abit one on the downtube... ah well.. its a really good frame.. and for the money u cant go wrong really... i might even buy another one when mine dies lol...  (Y) 

u could even drill holes in it and it still wouldnt break  (Y)

had the chain rubbing but as micheal said sorted it out buy using a mtb chain..  i have my spocket fairly close to the frame so if i moved that out it would give it more clearance as well..

can also safely say those who have rode my bike really like it as well..  :D

Apart from me who thought it was too cramped

mine doesnt rub and necer has, i think only reason peoples has rubbed is due to bb lenght, mines a short one out of my old monty x-hydra, i think people with longer bbs get chain rub. ride real nice i think. not the lightest though, but depending on what components u have there not too bad.

Wouldn't that make it a bit sketchy for running an ACS Claw or something though if you can only run a "short" BB? I've got a 127.5mm wide spindle on mine, so is that the same as your's or not?

Is this copy made of a different material too? The Python was U6 and the copy was 7005, wasn't it?

I upgraded from an 04 T-pro to a black mamba (Y)

Yeh, adam was a really big skeptic, of the black mumba, but now he has one, he loves it! So they must be alright, looks like al have to look into them "again :D" If the chain doesn't run, then they must be the best "mod" frame on the market at the minute... In the respect of a frame so good, for such a respectably low price!

I think more people should try the 26" version, as i dont think that has ANY problems at all, and suposebly rides quite nice.

My only mission now, is to try adams bike, so i can get a real impression of what theyre like (Y).