Video Comp

Nick Garland

I actually sent Danny a "plan" for a video comp to be held from start of 2005, through to just before the bikeshow. This included 8 weeks film time, 2 weeks signup, then a week or so per voting round.

We decided to leave it in the end, and wait for summer. Proper catagories might work. However, im not really sure if they will work. As it makes a lot of effort, also means less prizes :ermm:

If Derek makes a video and wins 2 categories then there are a few problems:

A - Which category does he get 1st place for

B - If Derek wins the 2nd category, but somebody else takes the prize, then surely he will still be considered the winner?

C - Will Cyril who came 2nd and then moved up into first, actually feel like he's won fairly?

Just a thought. Last year was good, except the best video didn't win.

last years was abit funny with rounds such as going through a round and some people wanting new vids for each round etc. good in theory but not best for this kinda situation!

the problem i see with 4 sections is me for one im planning on combining street and natraul as best editing that i can do :"> etc etc!

i personally think one big table and best vote wins! but yet again that would be messy because some people would be to lazy to download all the videos!

another thing is could created the first few rounds till you end up with 8 then they go up in a final draw?

im just giving poop sujestions! but i look forward to entering :ermm:

why not do it like the world cup?

*Has Stephen gone mad?* :ermm:

if there are 25 videos split them up randomly into groups of 5, everybody downloads every videoo and votes for their favourite in each round (only say 5 rounds, not 12 or whatever like last time)

Then have the top video from each round and 1 highest 2nd placer all against each other in the final.

That sounds fun, we could have goal difference as well!

I think that the video competetion needs a radical make-over.

I've always thought the idea of "a day in the city" competetion is fantastic.

For those of you who don't know I suppose I should explain what this is all about, althought to tell you the truth I really can't be arsed! Day in the City is the brainchild of Phil Young, basically you get two days to film a skate video section and then a week to edit it, you have one filmer and one skater, you are also given a list of places to skate. I can't remember who sponsors all this but I think it's something to do with Sprite. Last year it was set in London, this year Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool. The videos were given away free with Sidewalk mag. Is that ok?

That would be fun fun fun.

Let each rider choose an editor.

Maximum section length of 5 minutes.

There are loads of riders that I'd like to see in a video sometime again soon.

There are a load of UK riders editing some nifty videos every week.

There are a load of spots that can be rinsed in the UK.

People will cheat. *sigh*

Thats a very good idea, maybe we should e-mail MBUK or something as thats a magazine thats well known. We could give away the videos on a DVD or something then the readers of the magazine could vote?

Worth a try e-mailing a magazine like that or something.

EDIT : Or someone could talk to Extreme as I remember their homegrown season thing, they could possibly be talked into something.

Edited by Team War Rider

Thats a very good idea, maybe we should e-mail MBUK or something as thats a magazine thats well known.  We could give away the videos on a DVD or something then the readers of the magazine could vote?

Worth a try e-mailing a magazine like that or something.

I was thinking it would be easier to run it on here.

I doubt MBUK would be interested to be honest.

They might be, you never know. Also that way it wouldnt be biased with all the CLS legion/followers just voting for him as people who read MBUk or something wouldnt like just one rider or anything they would most likly vote for the best video.

Its just an idea but the whole 2 days filming and 1 week to edit is cool and the rest of the "day in the city" idea.

I don't like that idea. Why shouldn't I be able to appear in my own video?

I like to make videos that show an atmosphere, the atmosphere of me and a few mates out riding and having fun. I don't like videos of just one rider - they're boring. I also don't videos of just one location, I think it's good to have variation and mix it up a bit.

If anybody's interested I'm working on a few videos at the moment:

Night riding video - Poole, Bournemouth, Reading, London and Milton Keynes (Due April)

Technical video - long, fluid, quick and smooth lines - sexy X-ups, crankflips etc (Due June)

Summer video - set wherever we ride during the summer (Due September)

All the videos will have the same people:

Tim Rodriguez, Andy Chai, James Lim, Matt Staples and myself (plus others if they come out). If my videos are done near the video competition then I'll save them for that. Would be nice to get some provisional dates in place.

Stephen.