Little Spot Of Bother

Michael Hardman

When they catch you for breaking this rule, don't bring attention to yourself by arguing with them. I had the same problem, and this his how I dealt with it.

Just say, "Yes sir, from now on I will keep my bike in the rack, no problem sir." Then just keep your bike in your room and don't let them catch you bringing it in and out. If they catch you again, just repeat. Sorted but...looks like it might be too late as you've already alerted too many people. Try to let it blow over.

If you argue with them, they will get pissed off and watch out for you more. Besides, it's a mod, you could hide it in your book bag.

yeah your best bet is to let it blow over, don't make a fuss! say you will take it home and leave it at a mates house/room for a couple of weeks (Y)

I kept mine in my room and they didn't seem to care, but my room was prefect for keeping bikes on the left hand side of my room behind the door there was a foot wide gap kept two bikes there!!

they did provide some 'safe' cycle storage, but it was a metal wire cage thing and all the bike just got rusty and you could see what bieks where there, with no securtiy cameras or decent lighting and you could have broken in in a couple of mins with a phillips screwdriver!

get a house its better, the last two house i had were ace! I had an entire basement to keep my bike in! (Y)

mike

sweet baby jesus your room is huge! and all modern damnit.. anyway yea i have to take my bike apart and put it in a bike back after every ride, its a pain but only takes 15 minutes you can pick up some very cheap bags from e-bay espeically since yours is a mod my bag is HUGE it only just fits under my bed. The cleaner isnt the brightest here and im sure she wouldnt care really unlucky to hear whats happening. Id go with the your testing a proto type frame for some new society or some random shit i dunno

nice room looks similar to the ones at Brighton I'm in. That's unlucky that they dont provide safe storeage. Here at Brighton i have a secure room thats built onto the side of my house with a big arse door and lock, and then space to lock each bike up individually inside too. Seems to be luck of the draw (Y)

Im more concerned about my dh theres is no way im leaving that locked up outside. Its just asking for trouble.

My problems been forwarded to the hall management hopefully Ill get to have a talk with them.

Im gonna be real nice and explain the situation Im sure they will see where Im coming from.

Im more concerned about my dh theres is no way im leaving that locked up outside.  Its just asking for trouble.

My problems been forwarded to the hall management hopefully Ill get to have a talk with them.

Im gonna be real nice and explain the situation Im sure they will see where Im coming from.

Surely you didn't bring your Rig to Uni with you?!

i had two bike in my room last yr, but i was in a house owned by the uni not halls. ur room is so nice though, mine was massive could pull a 180 no probs.

i was lucky the cleaners were nice, they never minded bout the bikes.

anyway to the relevant part of my story. my bikes got stolen from inside the house in may last yr, so i went to the uni and complained bout security, they went with the line your bike should be in the "designated cycle storage area" blah blah. then i pointed out to them that this storage area was inadequet (it was basically a shed with a single bolt on the door and nothing to lock bikes to inside) and my bike wouldnt be insured if it was kept there. say your insurance premium is dependant on you having your bike inside a secure house, not outside on some rails. and due to the bikes value it isnt finacially viable to keep it where they want u to.

if that doesnt work get back to me and ill give u some economics of the insurance market that should baffle the accommodation services

hope this helps

oh yeah, fire hazard, hmmm what would happen if it was a wheel chair????

is it me? or do those pictures show BOTH a stock and a mod bike? have you got 2 trials bikes in one room?

(i swear that first pic looks 26", and the bike on the desk is obviously a mod)

and now you want to bring your DH rig in too?

i wanna go to uni, but i would have to take at least 3bikes with me!! this topic has just made me rearlise, that now i have a problem! lol

which uni are you at? Is there any unis that allow bikes within rooms / halls ??

(Y)

i had two bike in my room last yr, but i was in a house owned by the uni not halls. ur room is so nice though, mine was massive could pull a 180 no probs.

i was lucky the cleaners were nice, they never minded bout the bikes.

anyway to the relevant part of my story. my bikes got stolen from inside the house in may last yr, so i went to the uni and complained bout security, they went with the line your bike should be in the "designated cycle storage area" blah blah. then i pointed out to them that this storage area was inadequet (it was basically a shed with a single bolt on the door and nothing to lock bikes to inside) and my bike wouldnt be insured if it was kept there. say your insurance premium is dependant on you having your bike inside a secure house, not outside on some rails. and due to the bikes value it isnt finacially viable to keep it where they want u to.

if that doesnt work get back to me and ill give u some economics of the insurance market that should baffle the accommodation services

hope this helps

oh yeah, fire hazard, hmmm what would happen if it was a wheel chair????

Thats a point I insured my bikes undfer the uni room insurance, i think there still covered by house insurance anyway.

And yes I have keep my dh bike up here before and that is a safety hazard I wont denie it. The mod is not as it fits in the corner out of the way

is it me? or do those pictures show BOTH a stock and a mod bike? have you got 2 trials bikes in one room?

(i swear that first pic looks 26", and the bike on the desk is obviously a mod)

and now you want to bring your DH rig in too?

i wanna go to uni, but i would have to take at least 3bikes with me!! this topic has just made me rearlise, that now i have a problem! lol

which uni are you at? Is there any unis that allow bikes within rooms / halls ??

(Y)

I only have one bike in my room.

I tend to swap between the trials bike one week and the dh bike the next week. I go home every weekend to work as its only a 2 hour train journey so i can swap between bikes easily.

The first 2 years no one ever moaned about my bikes in my room I had 4 in there in the first year when my brother stayed round.

Im at Royal Holloway, its crap for riding but easy to get to the good spots like Reading, London, Esher, Porc etc...

No I had room checks today, whooe block.

I was out cos I knew about the checks and didnt want to be woken up by the warden again.

I got away with it in my room last room check so thought I would be fine this time

Cant you just go out on your bike when they come to look at the room?

Or put it in a mates room when they want to look at your room?

If it's covered up as people have suggested, so it's not obviously a bike but rather some luggage and not in the path of a likely fire escape route, then they won't be interested.

I suspect that seeing a bike that's ready to ride in a room makes them think about the mess (muddle wheels, oily chain) and damage that you could be causing, and they wheel out the fire hazard excuse to rain on your parade.

Bag wise, I recently looked into bike bags for my trip to Llandudno. I had to bring my bike into the Travel Inn overnight. I found you can pick unpadded ones for £40 but they seem to require removing both wheels and taking the bars out (or the stem off if you don't have a removeable front plate on your stem). I also contacted some Army and Navy stores to see about using a body bag, but the chap on the end of the phone was swearing blind that you couldn't fit a dismantled bike in one, contary to my belief!

I only wanted the minimum of dismantlement to get my bike in the car along with all the rest of my luggage, so in the end the solution was to buy some bin-bags about £1.75 for a roll - the ones for lining wheelie bins because they were the biggest. I bagged the frame (minus wheels) from both ends of the bike. Maybe you could do similar with some big sacks corner so there's no need to remove anything, and tuck it in the corner?

Steve

gawd, that room isnt THAT big, the room he had last year was twice the size of that. its actually quite small. was a struggle to fit me mike and 2 bikesin there when i stayed with him. and the room is all "modern" because its only just been built  (Y)

does havea double bed which might explain lack of walking space

I never had a problem with my bike being in my room last year and i was on the 4th floor. Kept having mates to stay over too so thats 3 bikes (Y) Had 4 at one point. It was against the rules but i was only inspected twice once in which i took the wheels off and put it under my desk and the other it was just sat there. One of the flats near me had a BMX sat in the window in view of everyone (Y)

Covered the wall in tire marks in the end but nothing a rag and some water didnt sort out :)