Little Spot Of Bother

Michael Hardman

Seems Ive been caught after 2/1/2 years getting away with keeping my bike in my room.

Anyone got any excusses other than my bike costs more than I pay for my halls and if you think im keeping my bike in those bike racks your a honey.

My room is bloody spotless the bike is not in the way and cant be fire hazard. If anythings going to catch light its the keep polester this rooms made from.

Go sort out the people that smoke in this non smoking area.

They said somkething about it being confiscated but ill fight them before that happens.

Im I right in thinking I can claim my bike is for the cycling soiceity.

Any help would be nice I dont want to go flying in (as much as i want to) without being sure im gonna win.

Heres a pic, does that bike look in the way, fire hazard, damaging the room, smoking(non smoking room)

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=viewℑ=388563

pbpic388563.jpg

Ive emailed accomadation to let them know how I feel about their stupid rules, I will win this one.

f**k yea that's a fire hazard. Can't you see? The immense heat coming from the radiator will melt your tyres, which'll vent off some toxic fumes while you're cooking/lighting a fag/playing with fire, and you go dazey and drop a flame somewhere, which'll kill you and everyone else in the surrounding area.

Get that shizzle out of there quick, man.

Er.

Why don't you (I know it's long) take the bike apart and stash it under your bed or something. Just take off the wheels, and turn the bars and it should be ok.

On the other hand, most uni's should provide safe bike sheds, only accessible to authorised people. You may have to pay for it, but it'll only be a few bob. That's if they have one at all.

Nice room by the way. Didn't know Uni rooms were like that. :(

Nice room by the way. Didn't know Uni rooms were like that. :P

Mine wasnt - he has carpet :(

Anyway, find a huge box and really obviously just put it in there. Say your storing it there - theres not much they can say to that.. "errr... you have a really big box in your room, and if you look at point 4 of the terms and conditions, you will see your not allowed really big boxes" :D

At Loughborough if you want to keep your bike in your room you have to use a bike bag, and get a letter signed by both the president of the bike club and your hall warden.

is it standing on anything?, maybe try getting a small amount of tarpaulin to stand it on, to put their mind to rest about it not marking the carpet.

I know some of the cleaners and people at my uni are really vigilante like about bikes (mine was :() while others didnt have any problems at all.

Boxes. Bin Bags.

If you're resourceful, try and get a body bag from somewhere (army surplus?)

The problems I had at uni were the tyres making marks on the wall as they brushed past.

Jon

in my second year in a house (rented from a housing association so like halls) i had similar things and just washed down the walls before leaving, they seemed happy with that, i left a couple of oil splashes on the carpet which i had to pay for but that was only £8 off my deposit so no biggy.

I always used to keep my bike in my room in halls. We always had a heads-up when they were inspecting though, at which point it got locked up outside for half an hour. I remember my mate at St Andrews keeping his bike in his room but in several parts, so it was 'bike parts' rather than a bike.

Some of the wardens are as bad as security guards though...wannabe Hitlers trying to make everyone else's life as miserable as theirs!

Dave

I don't believe we once had a room inspection in halls (in the first year). My bike lived propped up vertically between my wardrobe and wall. Worked well and you couldn't see it from the door. To be honest, I bet in the uni rules, it says you're not allowed bikes in rooms. Just because you say yours is expensive, and you think you're a special case, they're quite within their rights to tell you to move it. If I were you, I'd stay on the right side of the wardens and speak to them decently. If they figure you're sound enough, then they probably won't do anything. All this talk of "fighting it" isn't gonna help your cause, really.

I don't believe we once had a room inspection in halls (in the first year).  My bike lived propped up vertically between my wardrobe and wall.  Worked well and you couldn't see it from the door.  To be honest, I bet in the uni rules, it says you're not allowed bikes in rooms.  Just because you say yours is expensive, and you think you're a special case, they're quite within their rights to tell you to move it.  If I were you, I'd stay on the right side of the wardens and speak to them decently.  If they figure you're sound enough, then they probably won't do anything.  All this talk of "fighting it" isn't gonna help your cause, really.

Thats exaclty what i plan to do

Ill explain everything ncely if I loos out i will take my bike home and then bring it back as the next room inspection isnt for a few months