Profile 6spd

ben

is the profile 6spd hub strong and is it worth the £250 asking price i know its very similar to the BMX version (same number of engaments and ratchets etc) but how good is it?

:">

ben,

I have had the 8spd (which is the same but a longer freehub body) one for over 6 months now and its still perfect. Never skips, nice noise, looks cool, I defo recommend em.

There is a rider in plymouth who brought one, and he has blown it up after 2 weeks of having his new bike, not sure whether it was the 8 speed or the 6 speed, after seeing this i would steer clear, he now has made the riht decision to go back to King :(

yea, i was shocked to find that after just a few days of riding garys profile started to stick and generally went a bit nasty

i pulled it apart for him to find random shards of metal inside, i cleaned it out and stuck it all back togethere and it appeared to work perfectly, but now after another 3 weeks he has somehow managed to rip the ratchet out of the hub shell :( i have no idea how though, as he isnt massively powerful and although good isnt what youd describe as an awesome rider....

very strange....

i know profile have such a good rep, but i dont understand what it is that makes the hub so good?

am i correct in thinking its 2 pairs of offset pawls on a 24t ratchet? giving it 48 pickups with 2 pawls working at a time?

if thats the case then surely its no better than a shimano deisgn using 2 pawls at once :) only the profile is better made and has more engagments??

sorry for the strange post, im not puttin gprofile down, i think theyre great, i jsut dont understand how tehy generally work so well....

yea, i was shocked to find that after just a few days of riding garys profile started to stick and generally went a bit nasty

i pulled it apart for him to find random shards of metal inside, i cleaned it out and stuck it all back togethere and it appeared to work perfectly, but now after another 3 weeks he has somehow managed to rip the ratchet out of the hub shell :) i have no idea how though, as he isnt massively powerful and although good isnt what youd describe as an awesome rider....

very strange....

i know profile have such a good rep, but i dont understand what it is that makes the hub so good?

am i correct in thinking its 2 pairs of offset pawls on a 24t ratchet? giving it 48 pickups with 2 pawls working at a time?

if thats the case then surely its no better than a shimano deisgn using 2 pawls at once :P only the profile is better made and has more engagments??

sorry for the strange post, im not puttin gprofile down, i think theyre great, i jsut dont understand how tehy generally work so well....

Yep its 24 tooth and 4 pawls - 2 offset. I've often wondered what makes profiles so good compared to shimano etc. aswell, after getting my profile and looking at the internals etc. Cant really understand why its so good (It does have titanium driver, axle, etc. though). I've got a bmx one and it seems fine to me though, has skipped a few times when i replaced the springs with brand new ones (obviously wearing in) but it hasnt skipped in a while now. I don't see why other companies like shimano couldnt make a hub pretty identical to a profile though, for much less money :(

well I am pretty sure that wayne and a few of his buds have also had no problems with profile hubs, and since I have had mine for ages and not even touched the thing to service it at all and its still absolutely perfect I'd say they were pretty much proven to work fine.

That guy whos blew up may just have been unlucky I guess.

I think the reason the profile doesn't skip is because of it using a different type of spring and stronger ratchet ring.