Jay-z & Linkin Park

eMAyaRKay

Thats a good point, thinking about it, i dont like lyrics that talk about how the person feels about themselves in some sort of attention seeking way at all. It seems babyish and unimaginative. It does annoy me when rappers rap about how noone else is like them and how we need them, it seems ironic that loads of rappers think there is noone like them, when in essence, their all the same!

As for rappers arent all gansters, name me a nice rapper, who nutures and embraces his neighbours, whatever their creed or colour! I cant imagine a rap video, where a group of rappers go out giving flowers to strangers

Look at what you just said, then look at Heavy Metal. How many bands dont wear black and pretend to hate the world, how silly would marilyn manson look in a shellsuit on holiday at Disneyland Paris? My point exactly.

Its the whole style of music. Imagine Raves without glow sticks, festivals without camping, country music without dodgy hats, pop music without the typical pretty boy appealing to the 13 year old girl, garage tunes without townies (or chavs as they are suddenly known) and so on and so on...

Look at what you just said, then look at Heavy Metal. How many bands dont wear black and pretend to hate the world, how silly would marilyn manson look in a shellsuit on holiday at Disneyland Paris? My point exactly.

Its the whole style of music. Imagine Raves without glow sticks, festivals without camping, country music without dodgy hats, pop music without the typical pretty boy appealing to the 13 year old girl, garage tunes without townies (or chavs as they are suddenly known) and so on and so on...

But with good music, by, say, Pink Floyd, the band members image is nothing to the band. Because they just focus on their good music. They don't express any strong opinions by they way they are, or try to convey any silly messages, they dont try to create any false image of themselves, they just are who they are. British rappers with american accents, bloddy Sean Paul, born in Birmingham, talks in a Jamaican accent, crappy boy bands and girl bands ripping people off, with 90% of their success created by looking good (or so they think).

Its sounds corny, but its just not about the music!

But with good music, by, say, Pink Floyd, the band members image is nothing to the band. Because they just focus on their good music. They don't express any strong opinions by they way they are, or try to convey any silly messages, they dont try to create any false image of themselves, they just are who they are. British rappers with american accents, bloddy Sean Paul, born in Birmingham, talks in a Jamaican accent, crappy boy bands and girl bands ripping people off, with 90% of their success created by looking good (or so they think).

Its sounds corny, but its just not about the music!

true, but remember pink floyd were about before the mtv and music video became popular/important! Thats when image really became more important than the music!

the 80s and the launch of mtv was the start of the whole right image, cool video....and there a record label has made some money. Yes bands/singer.etc had image before then but it was a whole lot harder to make money off rip offs because ultimately most people only heard the music!

yeah there was top of the pops and stuff, but compared to the 60s/70s its so easy to saturate the market with a groups image!

i have blabbered on a bit, there a point in there somewhere

mike

I get your point, and It goes to show how people can manipulated by image and status into thinking that something is good, rather than having their own opinion. Pink Floyd did have a number of music videos, and none of them featured any sort of self rightous material.

An example of good music meeting mainstream pop tv was when Nirvana went on TOTP. Needless to say, they weren't very impressed when they had to mime... hilarity insued

I get your point, and It goes to show how people can manipulated by image and status into thinking that something is good, rather than having their own opinion. Pink Floyd did have a number of music videos, and none of them featured any sort of self rightous material.

An example of good music meeting mainstream pop tv was when Nirvana went on TOTP. Needless to say, they weren't very impressed when they had to mime... hilarity insued

true, but iron maiden are better they just flat out refused to mime and basically where the first band to play live for years!

But that wasn't funny really was it.

no it wasn't, but it wasn't meant to be, but i didn't really make that clear!

I just meant it was a good thing that a 'real' band did that! that basically nirvana made a mockery of miming (the wildhearts did it too i think, played with kids toy instruments and where pissed) and maiden just flat out refused, both are good because they both are anti-miming which is a good thing!!