Dodgy Topic

DrEvil270183

okay, its abit of a dodgy topic..but...if you were to fall badly, as in seriously badly when gapping 10ft high or something,

would you rather die or be paralyzed for life? i know its a weird/controversial topic but i was thinking about it today, how much does life compared to biking mean to you....

would you rather be paralyzed and live knowing you cant bike or die... ?

i havent decided yet..not sure why..shouldnt be that hard....

Edited by DrEvil270183

This is a rather good topic... really made me think... but I would honestly have to say die!

The reason for my answer is because basically my life does revolve around my bike and if you take that away from me and knowing that I can never get it back, then you have just taken a massive chuck of my freedom and fun away from my life which means my life would be a tad bit boring. And to top that off your also paralyzed... and being paralyzed means that I'm limited to what I can do, so basically my life is ruined... so yeah I would rather choose death... it is rather harsh to say the least but instead of me feeling pissed of with myself cause I can't ride, do basic things that I used to be able to do. But if I died then I wouldn't need to bother about all those things... so death seems the best option in my case :)

Watson

to be honest, i'd rather just bounce back up and try it agen!!

anyways, can't imagine life without mobility, or even just ability! can't really answer this question, as i don't know if i could cope with whatever situation were given to me. not even gonna try writing anymore, too much for ma little brain to think about :)

anyways, ride safe

smithy

i suppose if you were paralzyed you could still see the ones you love and your friends and everything, but then maybe after being paralyzed for a long time you might start to wish you had just died instead as you cant really see life going the way you had first thought, it to be or anything like that.

I wouldnt really like either to happen, but if i had to choose id just prefer to die more than likely :) however odd that may sound

Edited by Bondy

christ tim crazy topic!!

yeah i mean i would hate to be a burden fo my loved ones if i was paralyzed and to live life without mobilty and riding my bike would suck, but even if i was paralyzed i could still be involved somehow and watch the sport grow B) which would be cool! and my part of me woldn't want to give up on life as i could still see the world and maybe try wheelchair downhill :P but being kinda outdoorsy it would probably be upset not being able to try stuff i want to try!!

but then if i die i would never be able to see if axl rose releases 'chinese democracy' :)

mike

Oooh....interesting topic.

I was actually thinking the same thing when I was reading the newspaper today. A local girl has been paralysed as the result of a serious car accident.

I know it sounds really harsh, but I think I would actually rather die than be paralysed. I can't stand having to rely on other people to do things for me, and I hate not having my own freedom and space.

However, it's not as simple as that. You have to think about your family and friends around you. What would they want?

This is a rather good topic... really made me think... but I would honestly have to say die!

The reason for my answer is because basically my life does revolve around my bike and if you take that away from me and knowing that I can never get it back, then you have just taken a massive chuck of my freedom and fun away from my life which means my life would be a tad bit boring. And to top that off your also paralyzed... and being paralyzed means that I'm limited to what I can do, so basically my life is ruined... so yeah I would rather choose death... it is rather harsh to say the least but instead of me feeling pissed of with myself cause I can't ride, do basic things that I used to be able to do. But if I died then I wouldn't need to bother about all those things... so death seems the best option in my case :)

Watson

You wont always think like that, I can guarantee you. I know someone that did moto-x, and she always said "If I ever crash my life will be ruined because I cant ride." She always used to say to people she'd rather die than not ride. Now shes in a wheelchair after a big stack, thanking god shes still alive.

Trust me mate, you wouldnt rather die. You'd be happy to be alive.

...cos backpacking around Malaysia in a wheelchair sounds like a right hoot... :)

Dan

You would have to do things differently, but things are still possible.

I would rather live. your mind will still be there, yea, sure it wouldnt be nice have to rely on people to do things, but as your mind developes, to make up for what you physically can't do, your quality of life will also improove.

All the people talking about life not being worth living if you cant ride, have you ever thought that maybe there are more important things to life than a lump of metal which you ride around on?!

Yo start off with, you may well be dissapointed that you can't do alot of things which you would normally do. But you would learn to adjust, and be glad that you are alive, and can be with loved ones etc...

Alex.

My life revolves around my bike and being outside, I would hate to be paralyzed the concept of sitting inside in a chair all day is hell. I would also hate the idea of people having to do everything for me, it isn't even possible to go to the toliet by your self or get dressed alone. I would prefer to be dead than not be able to move.

Calum

If it was waist down and not neck down then yes. I'd just feel like a complete veg if I couldn't do anything, you get speech problems if you're paralyzed from the neck down I think, so you wouldn't even be able to talk to your loved ones.

BUT if I *was* paralyzed and it *was* only waist down then I'd carry on and buy one of these:

bike2.jpg

Depends how paralyzed, if it was almost full body i'd rather die. No way would I want to be a burden on family/gf/wife. Having to wipe my arse and put nappys on me etc. Not a nice quality of life so if I was lucky enough to have the choice.. death.

It would be a hard descision. I would rather live. I'm sure that the new way of life would be hard. I reckon after a while you would get used to most of it. You may even walk again, remember superman. Yeah I know he died but that wasn't anything to do with his paralyis. I think.

If I got fully paralyzed and couldn't move my hands no more I would choose dying instead. Just because I have three very important things in my life: girl friend, music (I'm guitarist) and ofcourse bike trials.

I couldn't make without riding, playing, having good time with girlfriend, bike or/and guitar.

I rode within my own abilities and dent never try pulling any "crazy" street kind of stuff, mostly because I ride "only" natural.

edit: Changed my mind... I would choose life.

Edited by Da Make

its somthing i dont think you could decide untill it happened, what quality if life would you have is you could not do a thing? iv broken my back before and the thret of maybe being paralised is the most scary feelin ever. but after a few days of crappin maself all was well and that was a good feelin, cant realy make a decision on the origonal question thow.

rob