New Site Idea

Nick Garland

Do you think its a good idea.  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think its a good idea.

• Yes
    • No

Hi

Me and my friend Alex have started a new site for biketrial reviews. Its not complete yet but I thought before I completed it I should find out if anyone thinks its a good idea otherwise making it then it being a flop would be bad.

This is what Ive managed after two days and it needs alot of work but the main idea is there.

Any comments welcome and new ideas please?

Thanks hopefully everyone will like the idea.

Linky

EDIT: The reviews would be written by you lot not me and alex btw.

Edited by Team War Rider

Good idea.

Trialsworks.co.uk had a massive review section at one time. It all vanished though at one point, at which point trials-forum was discovered by the masses, so it never really recovered.

As i said, good idea, however, it would'nt work. Trials-forum is all you need. It has reviews on most things, if not, you can ask.

By all means try it out, im sure some people will use it.

If it was fairly comprehensive, had weights, prices, useful links (manufacture website where to buy) and most importantly good reviews of pretty much the full sprectrum of trials products. street/natty/20/24/26 then it could be very useful, maybe with some sorta user comments box too!

go for it :)

mike

maybe even include useful maintainence/setup tips too

Edited by leedstrials

What it needs if its going to work is a very detailed review on each and every item, but in turn, it has to be easy and understandable to navigate and get to the item of interest. And all the reviews should be done in the same layout, it winds me up the wall when you find a review thats the right layout, and then the one for the item your interested in is different.

If it was fairly comprehensive, had weights, prices, useful links (manufacture website where to buy) and most importantly good reviews of pretty much the full sprectrum of trials products. street/natty/20/24/26 then it could be very useful, maybe with some sorta user comments box too!

go for it :)

mike

maybe even include useful maintainence/setup tips too

What it needs if its going to work is a very detailed review on each and every item, but in turn, it has to be easy and understandable to navigate and get to the item of interest. And all the reviews should be done in the same layout, it winds me up the wall when you find a review thats the right layout, and then the one for the item your interested in is different.

Thats the sort of replies I was hoping for Ideas on how to make it work.

I was already thinking about putting in the weight, prices and where to buy it from at the top of each page for the product. As for the layout being the same, it is for every catagory, I just havnt got round to finishing it yet.

I thought it would be best to see if there is any interest with the idea and a rough guide of what it will be like than to make it and find everyone thinks it sucks.

*cough* mtbprice Beta*cough* edit: click on SuttonFreeride.com->mtbprice

fully automated and admin controllable, I designed this software to be better than the bikemagic review system. Check out those specs. Should be fully up and running in two weeks.

Edited by sfboy

That looks good.  Very good.

Ah well another idea and someone does it better again. Typical.

You might as well go for it, that other site will have unpatterned reviews, because of the way they are structured. On the example, the travel on the forks was in the "comments box" rather than it being a specific review box for sus forks. i guess to make it work you need to have a specific review layout for every little thing that appears on the chainreactioncycles side menu, that would be a good list to work from.

Go for it!

*cough* mtbprice Beta*cough* edit: click on SuttonFreeride.com->mtbprice

fully automated and admin controllable, I designed this software to be better than the bikemagic review system. Check out those specs. Should be fully up and running in two weeks.

Shame its in phpnuke.

I would drop that now. As in, like, now. Its beyond bad.

Nice ideas though :huh:

Just check out the Pad Review thread in Trials Chat, and say 'hello' to a whole world of problems with people not knowing what's good and what's bad :huh:

The thing is is that it's easy enough for people to just ask on here about what's good/bad and do a search for it than go to another site which has only got static reviews (i.e. you can't ask the author a specific point like you can on here), so it's just not going to be as versatile enough, I'd have thought. Plus the reviews might be shonky just 'cos as Danny said there are too many factors to take into account. Someone might say some forks were flexy because they had a knackered stem/headset/steerer, but not know it and so attribute it to forks or whatever. Shitty example, but people are seriously sketchy when it comes to reviewing products. Not to mention the fact most people won't be arsed to actually write a decent, useful review?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep you aloof of whats going on with mtbprice (the reviews, pricing and catalogue database us a mtbfreeride are working on).

Its practically finished, it just needs auto email and dream bike feature before the beta version is operation, here are some more screen shots, let us know what you think.

PS sorry for the crap data used here, i'm sure your views and opinions will be alot better!

category.jpg

listing.JPG

I'd rather see a site with component listings... Full spec. listing, weight, RRP and so on.

Reviews are almost always very biased.. It's easy for a big or small company to give a bit of a discount in exchange for a good word in reviews. I'm not naming any companies, but you know what I mean. :blink: