Broadband Upgrading.

JT!

anybody heard anything about shitty ntl by any chance

Pauly

they were one of the first to do it, we have a 1.5meg connection which was upgraded from 1meg just before we signed up. No monthly limit here either, but we pay for that at £35/month. I estimate we get through between 75-150GB a month, as their are 7 of us all downloading stuff constantly.

They may be doubling (or quadrupling) your speed, but they're halving your monthly bandwidth caps. What exactly is the point of having a 2meg line if you have a download cap of 15gig? I regularly do twice that on a 512k line.

Well, the point is obvious!! Say you are a regular TF user but not a heavy downloader as far as movies and games go... You download the odd video, say 50mb every now and then. Capacity wise you arent getting loads and loads and loads of data, but you are getting it very quickly. The way I see if is browsing the web for a month, I might get through 1gb just with pics, pages and the odd small video. Thats 1gb from that 15gb limit. Then you'd have 14gb to play with for the rest of the month for movies and music. That really isnt bad unless your a super hardcore downloader!

Im actually on BT Business 600, which we havent paid a penny for, for 4 years now! :- :o Thats uncapped.

All you people complaining about the usage cap should note that the reason you're using such huge amounts of bandwidth is because you're downloading illegal material! There's very little chance that you would exceed 15gb in one month by downloading legitimate files. It's not impossible, but I would guess that the vast majority of you are reaching such huge numbers by using Kazaa, DC++, Limewire, etc.

Just remember, it isn't your right to download this stuff, it's a perk of not being able to police the internet and cut out the piracy effectively. Therefore if you were law abiding the limits imposed by the telecoms companies would have zero effect on you.

I'm not trying to come across all high and mighty, because I've downloaded stuff myself in the past (although I do it very rarely these days, as I prefer to buy the music and films I want). Plus, even with a 15gb monthly limit, that's still 500mb per day as has already been stated. Taking regular browsing into account that still means you can grab one film every couple of days. Is there really that much stuff out there that you need to download more than this every single day?

It just seems to me that people are complaining about something that they have very little right to moan about in reality.

We got a letter from ntl the other day, about our connection being upgraded I think to 750k, didn't read it, but my housemate told me!

just look on the ntl website and the speeds are 300K, 750K & 1.5MB and the blurb kinda promotes (maybe surgests is a better word) illegal downloads lol

More than 25x faster than standard Dial-up Internet. Perfect for heavy internet use, playing games and downloading music, film and software.

mike

Edited by leedstrials

We got a letter from ntl the other day, about our connection being upgraded I think to 750k, didn't read it, but my housemate told me!

just look on the ntl website and the speeds are 300K, 750K & 1.5MB and the blurb kinda promotes (maybe surgests is a better word) illegal downloads lol

mike

Is it already like this? because when i signed up i was told that it would be happening, and we would get a letter to tell us when. We have recieved no letter, but i get a download rate of around 35Kb/s which apparently suggests that i am running a 300K connection?!

Can anybody confirm this? or is there a way of me checking? :ermm:

Cheers, Alex.

Is it already like this? because when i signed up i was told that it would be happening, and we would get a letter to tell us when. We have recieved no letter, but i get a download rate of around 35Kb/s which apparently suggests that i am running a 300K connection?!

Cheers, Alex.

To start from the beginning.

All 128k users (£14.99/month) where upgraded to 150k, but where charged 3 quid more for it. Then last year, october, or earlier, all 150k users where doubled to 300k.

This means, if you pay £17.99 a month, you are on the 300k package.

Cheers, Alex.

as i said, they have definately done this in my area, we have 1.5Mb/s which would have previously been the 1Mb/s service.

Can anybody confirm this? or is there a way of me checking? (Y)

Cheers, Alex.

Sometime in March you will be given the option of upgrading.

If you are on 300k at the minute then you will be given the chance to upgrade to 1mb at no cost, but your 30gb monthly download limit will drop to a rather poor 3gb.

750k will be upgraded to 2mb and 1.5mb upgraded to 3mb.

As far as I am aware NTL won't be actively advertising these changes, so mid march sometime I would advise that you phone NTL to query the changes.