Onza Hognesium Pedals

trialsguru

It really depends how you ride...

Since theyre magnesium, the material is relatively soft, and if you tend to bash your pedals into everything, you'll lose pins pretty quickly.

However, if you keep your pedals off the floor, or train yourself to use only one side of the pedal, theyre a great way to instantly shave around 200g off the weight of your bike :o

I would say they are bigger/wider than V8s, pretty much as big as my Atom Labs (which are the biggest pedals ive ever used).

I'll probably get myself a set once the comps start actually, get rid of some weight from my beast :-"

yup i have to agree with adam, hey are v.nice but ive lost loads of pins and there's big chunks of pedal missing :o (slight over exageration but meh :) ) i think once these die i´ll go to shin digs as they half the price and i dont want to fork out 40 quid every few months :D" they are really wide much bigger than v8s aswell all in all top pedal, but a bit pricey :-

Don't buy the Koxx ones then - £80, haha.

I think theyre an awesome pedal if your riding style agrees with them :-

how could you possibly charge 80 pounds for some pedals :o no doubting they are superb pedals , it's just i break them easy :"> i've only started ridng rock quite recently so my pedals are paying the price, as im a dunce at times and ssmack them into stuff :) but yeah if you've got 40 smackeroonies burning a hole in your pocket and are pretty smooth then get them :D :D

Ive used them for about 2 months now and they with the new style middleburn bashguard saved not too far off 1/2lb of my bike, with no loss of strength, which is nice.

They do loose pins but ive only lost them off one side of one pedal as im careful which side i use.

They are very nice pedals for the money, very grippy, and will loose you some weight over v12's for example. I will buy them once these free ones wear out lol. Cheers luke :)

Ps. Ricky Gunner (BMX rider) round my way has them with Ti axles!!! I want some of them for sure!!!!

rikki-harrow.jpg (N)

Hidden Nation

Are the bearings and seals better than the V8's? I'm needing new pedals soon, and I really don't know what to get. I don't want super heavy pedals (so I'm shying away from the Shindigs), but don't really want to get VP pedals 'cos they're a bit too small. The Hog's are at the very top end of my potential budget, so is the build quality any good? If you thread-lock the pins in, do they stay in better?

Thanks for any help,

Mark.

Are the bearings and seals better than the V8's? 

The Hog's are at the very top end of my potential budget, so is the build quality any good?

If you thread-lock the pins in, do they stay in better?

Yes - sealed cartridge and bushing (same design as a DMR V12)

Yes - its a magnesium die casting, cromoly steel axle, and sealed cartridge bearings, with a nice grey paint over the top... not many pedals have those features for £40. Koxx think they're worth £80 either way...

Not really - if you bash them, it can damage the actual pedal body itself - just like any other pedal which uses grub screws for pins.

Adam

Cheers Ad (N) The thread-locking was in reference to the fact that my V8's just seem to piss pins, which is agravating. The quality of the pedals seems to have dropped at the end of last year; my blue V8's I've got on now are pretty young and they've just fallen apart. Not happy at all...

I've been running the Wellgo versions (exactly the same pedals) for a good 10 months now, and I do a lot of sidehops to pedal/crankarm.

They have held out extremely well, I've lost 1 pin on each pedal (same place - on the outer part, probably the part most in contact with walls).

Seals/bearings are still in perfect condition, overall I'm really impressed. I highly recommend them.

You can get these but i bet they're very weak. Worth a try though, i think i might give them a try next, i was going to irder them but they were sold out. :)

I just use the DDG cheapo ones. I dont care about the bearing in pedals, if they still spin whats the problem?

I like to use my pedals, very BUI, so i wouldnt spend £40, i would rather have 3 pairs of the DDG for the price hogneium ones.

Onza VP's are rubbish, the cage is lower than the middle part. Don't like caged pedals for that matter. (N)

I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said. All I will say is that the magnesium is like cheese and comes off at any given opportunity. Quite fun for leaving big shiny streaks of metal down walls (Looks cool (Y) ), but not good if you like the pins to stay in. I thought I was the kind of rider who wouldn't destroy pedals (I never intentionally use pedals), and I'm also not the kind of person who only uses one side of the pedal. That seems stupid to me. Anyway, they're OK. Can't really recommend them unless you're a total weight freak who never hits pedals. They're quality pedals though, just a bit too soft.

I'm not sure if anyone on heres used them - but Outland make some magnesium pedals that are actually very nice.

Light, because they are magnesium.

last a long time too, grippy and pretty big.

73.jpg

Get in touch with your local raleigh dealer (Y) £30 to £40

Edited by nichols_sam

Anyone know if you can still buy the Rob warner base jump pedals? Mine are ~3 years old and because they are steel, they are still super grippy!

Not much heavier than my VP's were....

adam

Was just checking this thread out again, hence weird bump...

Anyway, I've got some Rob Warners in my toolbox you can have if you cover the cost of postage? I f**king hate them, they're only good for throwing at people... but yeah, if you want 'em, let me know.

... and does anyone know what Atomlab Trailpimp pedals are like?

4898.jpg

They're on sale for £50 at CRC, and I've gotta say I'm tempted...

they look very ungrippy in the wet. wonder how long it'd take to blunt or snap the teeth off too? i'm lookin at atomlab trail king or aircorps. if i can't get em cheap, big beasty shindigs it is!!! give em death!

smithy

ps. anyone ever used them clear bulletproof plastic pedals? saw some in my lbs, but never heard any long term reviews?