Tubeless, Any One Tried It?

Phatmike

Haha yeah, cheers Ali! :turned:

The tyre's not actually filled to the brim with the stuff, think how much it would weigh! It's nearly all air, with say about 2 gt85 lid full's. You'd just let it run to the bottom, then take the tyre off as normal.

The liquid latex forms a seal between the rim and the tyre, so no air can come out. :P

Yeah, there's no problem, i can easily obtain a 12" rim strip. (I use a 20" rim strip for 26" wheels, so it's tight!) All the rest is the same.

Urr, yeah i spose, but you only need to change tyres like once every 4 months? My Maxxis Minion Super Tacky is over 4 months old, and is still going strong.

It's just a rim strip, so if you imagine an inner tube, with the valve etc, but just a strip, not a tube. So it's like a rim tape with a valve. :P

Joe & sidehop, what are you actually confused about? Seems pretty self explanitory to me!!

Mike. :)

Mike, you could just sell the extra latex they'd need, cos it really is like fitting a new tyre, and you can do it with a track pump. :P" :P

Felix, you would need to take the tyre off the rim, so you'd need a wee bit more latex.

Edited by div

Well aslong as you don't grind through the rim I think you'll be ok :turned:

Or take the tyre off...

Mike, presumably if you really do NEED a compressor (I'm not convinced that some frantic track-pumping won't work), then you could just go to your local petrol station?

Dont want to sound like a git but surely it cant be worth anyones while posting you a wheel and tyre and paying a tenner, which would come to about £15ish, when they could go to their local LBS and get an inner tube for £4?

Would it not be better to sell latex goo and rim tape kits and post them out to us. Would be less expensive and would save you having loads of wheels turn up at your house, it surely cant be that hard to fit it?

Yeah, just shoved an allen key right in.

I think you've missed the point, that it can be done on any tyre, just your normal existing tyres! I'm running my 4 month old minion single ply!

Mike. :turned:

oh, i got you now - thats very impressive then :P

Might be worth a try - are you just running it on the front at the mo?

Was almost a disaster yesterday wasn't it mike?

We jammed an allen key thruogh his tyre to test the system, with his permission of course, and it took a little while to stop leaking air, Mike was looking rather worried.... :-

Not worried, just concerned, but there was no need, it was fine. :turned:

What about grinding the rim? Can it be done without filling in new latex?

Yes, it can without a problem!! You deflate the tyre, leave it in the bike, get a friend to hold the tyre to one side, then grind in small patches. Did this the other week on a friends bike. (Non-tubeless anyway)

Or take the tyre off...

Mike, presumably if you really do NEED a compressor (I'm not convinced that some frantic track-pumping won't work), then you could just go to your local petrol station?

It really is very hard to get it to inflate with a track pump, you just need that sudden burst of air to get the tyre to push against the rim, other wise it'll just come out. And it does take a long time to seal, by which time, it might've deflated partially, so you need to pump it up a good few times untill it's fully sealed. Which means either waiting outside a petrol station for a long time, or making various trips. :)

Dont want to sound like a git but surely it cant be worth anyones while posting you a wheel and tyre and paying a tenner, which would come to about £15ish, when they could go to their local LBS and get an inner tube for £4?

Urrr, see original post!

Impossible to pinch

Punctures sealed nearly immediately

Can run tyres at lower pressures. (Wont pinch, and they can fold more due to there being a tight seal between tyre and rim.

A lot of people get fed up with the hassle of having to repair/replace tubes (which does add up!) When with tubeless, when you get say a thorn in your tyre, take it out, and you'd never know you had one in there!

Would it not be better to sell latex goo and rim tape kits and post them out to us. Would be less expensive and would save you having loads of wheels turn up at your house, it surely cant be that hard to fit it?

Yeah, fair enough, it just is quite a hassle, and does take a long time, (and a lot of mess!) to seal it! Something probably alot of people can't be bothered, a tenner's not really that much.

oh, i got you now - thats very impressive then :P

Might be worth a try - are you just running it on the front at the mo?

Yeah, i'm running it in the front, as like i said, drilled rims are very hard to seal well! When i get my echo cnc'd rim in the rear, i'll be installing it in the back too. :P

Mike. (Y)

Yes, it can without a problem!! You deflate the tyre, leave it in the bike, get a friend to hold the tyre to one side, then grind in small patches. Did this the other week on a friends bike. (Non-tubeless anyway)

Hmmm. I've tried that method before, and it's nowhere near as safe as normal grinding. I'd be very tempted if it was only a tenner, but it's a tenner every time you change tyre and/or grind your rim (Unless you like to play Russian Finger Roulette :turned: ).

Hmmm.  I've tried that method before, and it's nowhere near as safe as normal grinding.  I'd be very tempted if it was only a tenner, but it's a tenner every time you change tyre and/or grind your rim (Unless you like to play Russian Finger Roulette (Y) ).

Well, it was perfectly safe really! It only takes a really thick person to get it wrong! (Or a really smart person to get it right. :- )

And the price of the rim-strips are obviously included, which are about £4 anyway, so it's only like £6 each time you change your tyre/rim (not very often!)

I just want to know how it's pumped up, but I think I have worked it out now, thanks for the help from Dan_T-Lite.  :turned:

:- :) good, good.

i read it in a MBUK (Y)" it told you everything to do with making your tyres tubeless... including the recommended kits from DT Swiss.

And the price of the rim-strips are obviously included, which are about £4 anyway, so it's only like £6 each time you change your tyre/rim (not very often!)

Yeh but the price or materials/your labour cost isn't the thing that cost the monies, it's the postage.

And what if you rip your tyre on a rock? You have to send it back to you again, thats another ~£15 for postage + your costs.

"How long will the sealant last in my tire?"

The sealant should last anywhere from 2-6 months or longer. However, there are many factors: depending on temperatures of your area, weather conditions, how often you ride, where you store your bike (cooler is better), etc..

So people also have to send you their wheel a minimum of around 2 times per year to maintain the tubless system if they do decide to send a wheel to you as they dont want to do it themselves :turned:

Really impressed with that video posted before! didn't realise they were that good.

What brand sealant do you use Fatmike? And would a standard car tyre compressor do the job? Cheers  :turned:

I bought just standard liquid latex, it's designed use was "Modelling". Not too expensive. :P

Yeah, a standard compressor will do the job. :P

I take it something like this would work :)

Mike where did you get your rim strips from? :blink:

Yep, great for making a mould of your nob too (Y)

I would guess rim strips are nothing special, since its a home-made affair... normal plastic rim tape + some glue + sealing tape?