Whats The Best Car?

thesubway

not trying to cause trouble or anything like that richie but would it not be nice seeing asthough thesubway has let you use his account that you used propa english and not text talk? :blink:

(Y)

306's have a habbit of taking water on board as the air filter is rather low in the engine bay. As with any car check service history if one exists and try to take a competant mechanic with out. ALWAYS take it for a test drive and keep your ears open for things such as brakes, engine, gearbox and noises that could come from wheel bearings, drive shafts etc.

Edited by Brisa

And also obvious signs of modifiying or has been modified is USUALLY a sign that it has been ragged and generally abused. Little things like Sun strips can give this away. Obvious things like large alloys and lowering are also best avoided as these mods put a lot of stress on the bushings, bearings, drive shafts and steering

And also obvious signs of modifiying or has been modified is USUALLY a sign that it has been ragged and generally abused. Little things like Sun strips can give this away. Obvious things like large alloys and lowering are also best avoided as these mods put a lot of stress on the bushings, bearings, drive shafts and steering

He'll probably just do this himself if he buys an 'un-modified' one. :blink:

Yeah i was looking on Autotrader and i've found a 1996 306 1.9d for £1300 but i just don't know if theres going to be a better car for me, has anyone got a 306 that can comment on this?.

Thanks

Richie

Surprised my brother hasnt seen this, he has a 306 x something or other i think its 1997 or younger.

It has a very nice engine noise and its un tuned

I have a 306 TD Sport. Had for it 15/16 months. Only things its needed is a new bushing and a brake hose (which could happen to any car). It cost £2175 though so is a 'little' over your budget. As prawn said, handles well and has very nice seats/interior. If taken to a professional diesel tuners can get about 120bhp out of them.

I would like to suggest a Rover 214/ 216... Many of these "grandad car's" have spent most of their time in a garage, only being used for the weekly shop etc... therefore you can pick one up cheap, and it will still be in excelent condition. The 214 has 103 Bhp, which isn't bad as a standard 1.4L, and they are very practicle cars, and relativly cheap to insure aswell.

Deffinatly an option if you ask me :ermm:

EDIT: My grandad has a 216, and he was looking to get a new car, so he went to a garage to find out about a part exchange, they offered him £300 for an M reg, with 44,000 miles on the clock, so he has decided not to sell... If you can find someone who has had a similar experience, then i bet you could get yourself a right bargin :blink:

Edited by fairy elephants

It's probably the turbo that he's altered - pretty easy to do I think, but don't get carried away with it because it puts more pressure on the turbo, which will eventually make it go phut. Can be an epensive way to get a few more hp.

Yeah sounds like he's adjusted the boost valve.. 19 psi is dangerous though, far too much pressure, could be damaging the turbo... It's not normally advisable to go over 15 to be honest.

Oh and fairy elephants, 103 bhp isn't good when you compare it to the weight of the car...

Thing is nick, most motor way miles cars, ie. company cars will be vectras, audis etc etc, slightly out of his price range maybe

A P reg vectra would be good though.

And remember, the larger the engine (normally) the less its been ragged. And its almost impossible to burn a diesel out

impossible to do burnouts in a diesel???

my bald fornt tyres didnt say that.. £125 for a new pair.

edit: been told burnouts wasnt what you meant.

if you meant burn an engine out as in blow up by generally thrashing it then thats i have also done but it was a 1.7 non turbo with 125,000mls when i got it and i wrote it off with a f**ked gear box that wouldnt go into 4th or reverse and threw out loads of black smoke at around 1500 RPM (usually takes more to smoke) and had 130,000mls on it. used to floor it until it stopped pulling in every gear.

I know its not a car but get urself a van .

yeah, so much easier for everything.

ive had 2 vans and loved them both

Do you know how hard & expensive it is to get insured on a van at 17!

piece of piss.

i had a vauxhall combo S reg diesel insured for £1200 as soon as i passed my test

Same Price as a 1.9d 306 on a 1.8 combo van (Y)

no such thing as a 1.8 combo.

they were all 1.7diesel(turbo or non) mine was a non turbo.

or 1.4 petrol injection.

cant beat a van i say.

so practical for biking and when im doing a bit of guveying on the side.

and also my saturday job (catering supplier sometimes need to deliver stuff)

im getting another one again soon too.

should be around a W or V reg 1.7 tdi astra van.

Bucky

Edited by Bucky