Chain Life

SebJT

Ok, since starting trials ive run an XT and now two XTR chains, my first XTR lasted 9months, then my next snapped sunday after having it 10months.

I run 9spd, so i cant really use a kmc cool or something, but does this sound like a good enough chain life and after all i hear people saying you're meant to change you chain every 3-6months anyway.

So should i just keep using the XTR chains or can i expect more from over chains?

Might just go XTR again and replace it after 6months like i was going to with this one just havent realised how long ive had it till i checked my receipts :)

Seb

When I ran 9 speed I used a connex wipperman, after getting through 3 SRAM chains and two KMC kool narrow chains within half a year. Its still on my bike in the garage, its the blue teflon coated one- I would highly reccomend them, and I got it on offer for £26 from chain reaction :-

Hope this helps

I had a connex one for about 10 minutes, then it landed me on my face, and its still in my tool box...

To be fair Seb, you've done bloody well to get 9 months out of a Shimano chain! A fatty like me breaks them clean in half within a couple of weeks (I have experienced it a few times :) ). And theyre bloomin expensive!

I'd hazard a guess at a Thin KMC Kool fitting on a 9 speed cassette... just... but I can't guarantee anything until I can get the two together for a closer look.

i've been using sachs 9spd chains for a long time now for every mtb disaplin (sp?), (touch wood) they have never broken yet.... i used to get them from CRC, but now they dont stiocl them, its changed to sram (Y) The sram ones seem the same anyway...

anyhoo, various prices for various weights. All with powerlink connectors! (which is apparently stronger than the rest of the chain's links!)

Sram components on CRC here

as a guide, i've kept my chains well lubbed, and they last bout 6months. Could be longer, but i choose to replace them for safety!

hope it helps, (Y)

slightly off topic but its nice to know im not the only one that keeps all my reciepts.

haha ... i would give some advice but i used the same sram ( apparently shit ) chain for 5 years with only one snappage.

i use a Kool chain now just for safety.

oli

I run 9spd, so i cant really use a kmc cool or something

I'd hazard a guess at a Thin KMC Kool fitting on a 9 speed cassette... just... but I can't guarantee anything until I can get the two together for a closer look.

My KMC thin didn't fit when I used to use a 9 spd cassette. It kind of works, as in you can pedal it, but the chain doesn't sit on the teeth properly. I used it for a while, but it jumped off the cassette sometimes, and I guess if it's not sitting on the teeth properly, it wears everything out a bit quicker?

I'd advise maybe spacing your cassette so your trials sprocket has an extra spacer each side. Can't see it doing any harm really, as I guess the only other gears you use are a smaller sprocket than the trials one anyway? So maybe just be careful and don't shift past it? Only reason for this IMO, is that KMC's are the only reliable chain out there, that I've used anyway :P

the only chain i would recommend these days is the KMC Kool, i have had a geared version for nion a year now and its still going strong.

I have got through countless sram and taya chains, and just plain dont trust anything else these days.