Tired Of Boring Frame Designs?

Mark W

so you can't land on yer chain....just land on the ter chainstay instead? :lol:  this could become a BIU revolution...who needs a pedal to sidehop to when...you can sidehop to frame!  :lol:

I can't really see much advantage...someone care to "plug" me up with the pro's?  :lol:

go onza!

adam

id rather hit my frame as i went up to bash than have my chain snap and pile drive my face into a wall :lol:"

lol

id rather hit my frame as i went up to bash than have my chain snap and pile drive my face into a wall  :lol:"

lol

Don't know about you but it seems very rare for someone to snap a chain by landing on it?

Don't really see whats so good about it, the rear triangles upside down which is ..er..worse.

The chain tugs are a good idea though.

Haven't realy made my mind up about the stays yet, nice to just take the chain stright off! But i think the stays themselfs will get destroyed quicker.

Edited by JT!

Don't know about you but it seems very rare for someone to snap a chain by landing on it?

Don't really see whats so good about it, the rear triangles upside down which is ..er..worse.

The chain tugs are a good idea though.

i meant landing on the chain will weaken it, obviously

that frame looks so nice!

i was never a great fan of onza but since they have been playign with tubes and sticking them together in funny shapes ive become rather fond!

i love the idea on the chainstay would be amazing for biu!

go onza and keep making crazy stuff (Y)

Glad to see some reactions. The most absurd thing said so far is that these are changes for changes sake. The reasons for the dropped stay are as follows. The stay comes in to the rear dropouts at low level allowing us to fit chain tensioners into the drop out, the most logical and sensible place. Almost impossible to do with conventional stays, without major engineering work.

Secondly the stay strikes the arc of the rear wheel in a lower position, giving it a greater distance and better clearance for the cranks. Short chainstays and clearance for fat tyres has led to wide bb's and long bb axles. This also puts greater strain on bearings. One reason Tensile cranks have gained their reputation is because they are straight and rigid. but this has increasingly meant using longer bottom brackets out as far as 128mm. This new frame design allows us to use Tensiles on a 113mm axle with a 68mm shell.

Thirdly the chain is protected by the frame. A chain squashed against a frame does damage the chain but it damages the frame even more. Please bear in mind this is a first prototype and the finished article will be finessed considerably, building in more protection for the under carriage.

A final bonus is of course that you can remove the chain without splitting it for cleaning and maintenance.

nice ideas there, good to see some innovations are going to be tested.

I like the thoeries behind the changes, hopefully they will end up on a production bike in some guise or other. Glad to see your not affraid to show the world your innovations.

Could use the Pashley Fortress (Kye Forte's former signature frame) frame method of chain tension I guess? Thereby negating the big gap between the seat- and chain-stay? Or is that a desireable thing to have?

Mark

Bored... and had to be done! Sorry its a bit rough.

post-90-1113952194_thumb.jpg

The Onza looks really good :D , although the stays are going to get really damaged due to the bash not covering them :( .

That picture by Tartridge in my opinion looks a lot better and would still be able to use the same method for chain tensioning :D , make that instead (Y)

I will be riding it this weekend at the YMSA trial, it is only the first prototype so i'm sure a few changes will be made before it's released. Really looking forward to trying it when I get it today.

I have ridden the Danny Butler signature frame and really like that, feels better than my T-Rex. :"> His second prototype is also here today so i'll be picking it up for him later. (Y)

Photo shop is a great medium for modifying frame designs. The great thing about it is that nobody has to ride it. Try putting in a 16 tooth front sprocket and a 12 tooth back sprocket and running the chain round them on the same picture. Getting the chain to miss the stays is difficult enough on a conventional frame set up.

Photo shop is a great medium for modifying frame designs. The great thing about it is that nobody has to ride it. Try putting in a 16 tooth  front sprocket and a 12 tooth back sprocket and running the chain round them on the same picture. Getting the chain to miss the stays is difficult enough on a conventional frame set up.

Back of the net!

Getting the chain to miss the stays is difficult enough on a conventional frame set up.

Very true! Didn't claim my photoshop effort to be anything geometrically sound though. It does look a little less 'different' with normal stays, however.

I can't say I'm a big fan (at the moment - it may grow on me) of the way that proto looks, but the claimed advantages seem like they may outweigh the disadvantages :P Good work!

it looks bob on.

that chain tensioning design is kool too tarty.

BUT what happens when you get a monkey taking the bolt out and wacking it back in cross threaded? and then they bring it back and say, i didnt do owt i was just riding along and all me threads stripped!!!!!

as people are always curious in what things do they will be playing with them like theres no tomorrow!!!!

Waynio.....................

does look great and the tensioning deisgn is kool if used correctly.