Uber Problem *urgerntish*

RockHoundRider

right guys, i have a big problem, i have sold my pashley 26mhz, and i want to strip it down to frame and forks and clean it up for the the bloke ive sold it too. however...

my seat post (aluminium) will not budge out of my pashley (steel). there is no seat on the seat post, but i think that would make little difference. my problem is i want to get the post out, but it will just not budge, and i mean i have even got them big pipe/anything destroying grips to try and twist it loose, neither i or my dad can get it to budge at all. i have put large amounts of WD40 on it to seep down, and has been there for several hours...

now, can any one give me any suggestions to try, i know alu compresses easier in cold, but i dunno how i could do that...

Any bright ideas would be good please...

And if i cant get it out...Back up plans would be nice...

Personally (bit of a crazy idea) but if i was totally stumped I'd probably try bashing in the seat post with a hammer and chisel from 90 degree angles to try and compress it. For example:

O = seat post

- or | = direction of chisel

. = a <space>

...|

- O -

...|

Meh, just brainstorming (not all that well mind you).

Edit: Had to sue fullstops instead of spaces for some reason...

Edited by Smo

"Aluminum seatposts frequently become stuck by corrosion also, and penetrating oil is almost useless against aluminum oxide. Fortunately, aluminum oxide can be dissolved like magic by using ammonia"

Is ammonia piss?

if so, you know what to do (Y)

"Aluminum seatposts frequently become stuck by corrosion also, and penetrating oil is almost useless against aluminum oxide. Fortunately, aluminum oxide can be dissolved like magic by using ammonia"

Is ammonia piss?

if so, you know what to do :)

(Y) legend

vice (Y) or failing that get everyone in your family to drink lots and find a suitably large bucket :)"

but if you dont have a vice you mat be a bit stuck :P

hows about getting 2 sets of pipewrenches/mole grips / whatever youre using and get 2 people levering them round , may work .

all i can currently suggest , sorry

ladies, ladies

if there is sufficient seatpost sticking out of the frame, and room for the post go down a touch, simply bang the post down, into the frame, hence loosening the corrosive bonding. as ali c sed, u wanna shock it loose. once done, it should twist outta the frame ok. best way is with the frame upside down, and the post in a vice. plenty o leverage then.

last resort would be gettin the post drilled outta the frame, and the seat tube reamed out. though i doubt ur everyday engineering shop would have tooling of that magnitude! or even better, a massive 'Easy-Out' tap (Y)

anyways best o luck!

smithy

It says:

"The contents of a CO2 tire inflation cartridge applied inside the seatpost can shrink it down just enough to do the trick"

Sounds like a plan, just buy one of those Co2 auto pump things. Loose it off inside and hey presto!

I have the same problem with my alloy seatpost stuck in my steel DMR frame... i no how its happend, i was jumping in a river and although i remberd to take my dust caps off to prevent them from welding themselves on, i never thought about the seat post!

i cant say i have tryed everything possible to get it out, but i did get a big adjustable spanner to it, with a 3ft bar on the end, and it wouldnt budge,instead it bent and twisted the adjustable spanner! :)( and i have tryed hitting it with a hammer, and used wd40.

i think im going to leave the frame in my bedroom for a little while as i have a powerfull and extreamly bassy Small club sound system in there (i dj dark drum&bass and like it loud! lol) and every time i use the sound system, it unscrews my dumbell weights from my benchpress bar within 5 minutes (even when its done up reeeeeealy tight!!)

So, Seatpost extraction by Drum&Bass ! ?

ill let you all know if it works!

Ry

(Y)

If I remember rightly Sodium Hydroxide gets Aluminium Oxide off thats why it's used in anodising. So try some of that (dont get it on your skin) if you cant source it find a product that contains it (many household cleaners have a certain %age of it) this should gte rid of corrosion.

Try and aerosol of some kind like deoderant of something, you know if someone sprays it on your skin for ages it's freezing? (come on everyones tried it!) Try spraying this all over the inside of the seatpost which may just shrink it enough to budge it with a persuasion tool

If I remember rightly Sodium Hydroxide gets Aluminium Oxide off thats why it's used in anodising. So try some of that (dont get it on your skin) if you cant source it find a product that contains it (many household cleaners have a certain %age of it) this should gte rid of corrosion.

Sounds just about right, we did it in chemistry the other day (Y)"

After that see if you can get a tube to fit in the saddle clamp, that should help.

Try and aerosol of some kind like deoderant of something, you know if someone sprays it on your skin for ages it's freezing? (come on everyones tried it!) Try spraying this all over the inside of the seatpost which may just shrink it enough to budge it with a persuasion tool

battry acid is also one of the most effective paint strippers, and speeds up oxidation in steel. not good!

The best answers already been posted, im gonna 2nd that. or 3rd it even ....

Hit it down, not up !!

You'll break the seal and it'll be loose. Seat posts are thicker towards the bottom so by hitting it down, you stand a far greater chance of loosening it, once its loose it'll twist out so easily with a bit more greease, or wd 40 to make sure