Reverse Mount Forks?

Bigman

Righty then, i have aquired a set of pashely forks, in very good condition, and i happen to have a set of braze on 4 bolt mounts, i am considering welding them onto the back of the fork legs, similar to the koxx forks, i can see this would have the advantage that your pads are being forced into the fork legs, and thus would provide a more power full brake, also it would be alot easier than using Evo mounts on the Vee tabs on the front, what is every ones opinion on this?

I know that John Shrewsbury has got his Vee tabs on the rear of his pashely forks on his leeson, but i am sure i have seen a set with 4 bolt mounts on the rear of some pashely forks somewhere too, if anybody has the picture, i would be gald to see it.

Thanks

Adam

To be honest i would just buy a set of koxx reverse mount forks, these make your brake amzinglypowerful. Thats just my opinion. It also seems alot of effort to braze them on when things could go wrong in the future and cause you more problems.

-Hugh

Buy koxx forks, u must be mad, lol, na i am only considering it as i got the forks VERY cheap, and my grandad is a VERY good welder, so i am sure i would not have any problems fitting the 4 bolt mounts (Y) it is only a tempary thing until i can afford to get a set of smart guys and i can put my Hope Trial brake back on :)

Adam

Hi adam

My mate has some of the koxx forks and the brake has a lot flex and is quite snappy and i used to run some pace forks with the mounts on the back and they were great bit heavy but had a nice felling brake.

so yeah i'd say go for it.

matt

Doesn't Mr Leeson say it's for bar-spinning or something?  I never understood that.  I can't really see any disadvantages.  Let us know how you get on (Y)

To make your bars able to spin, you would only be able to have a front brake, and have to guide it down through the steerer tube.

but you would be able to get away with having a V on the back with a really long cable.

Having your brake mounted on the rear of the forks is of benefit when doing bar spins because it reduces the amount of rotation of the cable around your headtube...

By having it mounted to the rear the first half of the spin is effectively bringing your cable and brake around to the front of the bike as if it were a standard pair of forks and then the second half of the spin will only leave your cable slightly tangled as though you had just done an X-Up.

This means that after performing the X-Up you can still ride :)

Brill.

I'm also pretty sure it benefits braking as well because the calipers/pistons are being held snug up against the fork legs rather than being forced away from the legs on standard forks (Y)

Hope this helps B)

Only if you do barspins the right way though (Y)

Do them the other way and they'll get tangled up much worse... There doesn't seem like much point for doing bar spins. But I can see the advantage in braking power.

Can i ask, Does anyone think a front magura on reverse fork mounts comes anywhere close to the power and proformance of a disc brake?

...Because maybe new forks would be a better choice than a front disc???

Why does having the brakes on the reverse side of the fork increase it's power. I mean when you clamp the maggies down they are solid enough, they don't budge at all.

:mellow:

Maggies defiantly can slip, just depends what kind of riding you do.

Having the mounts on the back of the forks is a good idea because when the forwald force from the rim is applyed to the pads it yanks them forwalds. when this happens the mounts of the break flex around the fork leg slightly. If the break is mounted on the front they flex outwalds so that the only part of the pad giving you full power is the rear of it. However if the break is mounted on the reverse of the fork then the pads are yanked inwalds so that the front of the pads are still contacting just as strongly but the rear of them is hitting even stronger.

The only possible dis advantage of this is that if you do allot of stalls on the front wheels balance point then if the breaks going to slip, it'll slip backwalds sending you over the bars.

Having the mounts on the back of the forks is a good idea because when the forwald force from the rim is applyed to the pads it yanks them forwalds. when this happens the mounts of the break flex around the fork leg slightly. If the break is mounted on the front they flex outwalds so that the only part of the pad giving you full power is the rear of it. However if the break is mounted on the reverse of the fork then the pads are yanked inwalds so that the front of the pads are still contacting just as strongly but the rear of them is hitting even stronger.

Yeah but what i'm getting at is that the maggies are fixed to the forks, 100% solid. Theres no way they'll felx. I would understand if it was V's as they do tend to have a bit of wobble on them, but maggies.... :mellow:

it would be a bit better, the forces involved when braking are much larger than you could ever put on by yourself, so when you brake with your maggies on the front, there will be an element of forcing them away from the fork leg, where as if you have them behind the fork, that force will just be exerted on the fork, it is a very good idea IMO, i think it would alse reduce the amount of slipage, but only slightly, it still very much depends on what pad/rim setup you have.

Yeah but what i'm getting at is that the maggies are fixed to the forks, 100% solid. Theres no way they'll felx. I would understand if it was V's as they do tend to have a bit of wobble on them, but maggies.... :turned:

They do flex. Everything flexes to some extent, but maggies actually flex quite a lot.

They do flex.  Everything flexes to some extent, but maggies actually flex quite a lot.

Ah, if your talking about evo mounts they do flex somewhat, then i could see the benifit. but not with 4 bolt mounts.

Ah, if your talking about evo mounts they do flex somewhat, then i could see the benifit. but not with 4 bolt mounts.

If u think 4 bolt mounts are 100% stiff, u are VERY mistaken, have u ever actualy looked at your forks or frame when u have been pulling the brake as hard as u can, they flex lile hell, every frame or fork will, except for maybe a few like the XTP new echos etc

I have yet to weld the mounts on, might get it done tomorow, but should be before the weekend

Adam

If u think 4 bolt mounts are 100% stiff, u are VERY mistaken, have u ever actualy looked at your forks or frame when u have been pulling the brake as hard as u can, they flex lile hell, every frame or fork will, except for maybe a few like the XTP new echos etc

I have yet to weld the mounts on, might get it done tomorow, but should be before the weekend

Adam

Yeah they do flex outwards, but dont flex away from you.

Yeah they do flex outwards, but dont flex away from you.

Actualy yes they will flex forwards, it is not noticable on a frame because of the way that when your wheel is spinning forward it is pushing the pads into the frame, like a reverse mount forks would, but if u watch a standard fork, u can see them flex forwards.

Adam

Here we go, all ready to be welded up tomorow by my grandpa, who is a legend with a welding torch :deej: will get pics tomorow of the finnished product (Y)

gallery_84_50_38452.jpg

Adam

Edited by Bigman

Righty then, they are now finished, got my grandad to weld them this morning, i sprayed them up (very roughly) just to make them all one colour again, here is the finished result:

gallery_84_50_73445.jpg

The brake is awsome, very bitey, yet it still can be modulated, i am running koxx brown pads with a light grind on a d521 (Y)

Adam

Has anyone tryed to weld them the wrong way on the rear brake. or would it not work space wise, or cause to much stress on the frame.

If you did it the wrong way on the rear brake ie. under seat stays it would actually make the brake worse because the pads would be draged away from the rim.

Leeson made a frame with brake mounts on the seat stays but there was no real gain over having then on your seat stays (Y)