High Vs Low

thechink

ok....the story goes like this.

i ride a lovely coustellier. and i must say oh my god too lush.

i also had my old xtp built up with all the old parts on it.

my mate wanted it so i sold him the frame. so i need a spare frame.

i bought a vinco. and here we go.

on the back wheel: vinco rules. its like there is nothing there. but its hard to find a stable spot because of the bb rise. very light on the arms and i found out that i kept hitting my man hood on the stem because you have to use alot more weight movement to get higher,

coust. a bit heavy on the arms. very very stiff and you know exactly where you stand over the wheel. i liek alot. also the bb is low so its well easy to get power.

Gapping: vinco = ok. i could not gap as far with the vinco as i could my coust. its hard to lower the bike and get the power.

i jumped back on my coust and oh my god i gapped so much further straight away.

taps. vinco is uber hard to tap on.

coust is like made for taps. i mean look at the cousts.

sidehops: the vinco owns on the side hop front. because your higher. but the coust is pimp i must say. its hard to describe.

gap to front: i found out that it took a while to get gaps to front. its scary as on the vinco. you flick over so easily. coust is just so nice for front wheel moves. especially with a set of smart guy forks.

over all i prefere the coustellier. i find its so much nicer for comps and street. you know exactly where you are with the bike.

pure lovelyness.

thechink

Lol, thats 'cause simon wrote it.

Cheers chinky, you have gave me a completely different view of high BB bikes now. I know i didnt like Tarts onza. I'll keep my rex for a while, not much chance of it breaking.

It would be more interesting to compare a frame of similar length, with a higher bb. So maybe Coust vs Control long or something? The Vinco is a bit of a barge isn't it? But still, reviews are always good. Plus most people don't get to really properly ride a frame. They just do a backhop on a BT and think it's amazing (Y)

EDIT: I'm sure the new BT frames are lovely :P

This once again puts into question my idea of getting a Hi-Fi as my next frame.

From a Woodstock to a Hi-Fi, quite a change heh. (Y)

Nice review though, does help me a bit, even if that help is just adding to the confusion of my decision.

My mate got his vinco today (well yesterday but only unwrapped it today) and bin out for about 6 hours and already he rides alot better than on his xtp. can gap just as far(around 8ft/just over) and sidehop as high a whole lot easier and tap higher. overall rides alot better. and i got an xtp till my bikes fixed next week so woo!

lol.

your also forgetting that the coust is a proven design and very very pimp.

i like the high bb but there is summit about the coust that makes it better

www.coustellier.co.uk

there is now a coust with a +10mm bb rise. dunno how much difference it makes as i havent ridden one.

thechink

I don't ride a vinco, but my mate kev does and as ride with him loads I have noticed how it has affected his riding (and obvisously I talk to him about it)!

He has gone from a 1080/1090 levelboss

Replaces (front wheel on a object and replace to back wheel) - better, this is mainly down to the length and high bb, but he has them dialled now and can just hop on to something and instantly replace.

Gaps - Indifferent his gaps don't seem to have been affected now he is used to it, he spent the first two weeks just falling off the back when he landed gaps! He says its a slightly different technique he uses, because if you kick really hard it just flips out on you!

Pedals Gaps - It seems to have improved his rolling gaps no end, he was good at them, but it rolls loads better (in general) than his levelboss, in fact he can manual it as well...haha

Taps - got worse, really finding these difficult to get back to the same height as the level boss, but at same time due to the length he can roll up stuff i have to hop up :(

Sidehops - he has never really been a sidehopper, he has improved though, but honestly can't tell if its down to the bike or not.

but as he says, this bike belongs on natural

Mike

Gaps -  He says its a slightly different technique he uses, because if you kick really hard it just flips out on you!

but as he says, this bike belongs on natural

Thats what I have found too :(

You have to jump more on gaps, rather than pedalling the bike across. In some way, I guess that could be considered better technique... I found a slightly harder gear ratio than normal helped (went from 20:17 to 18:15), but then it makes uphill run ups a bit more tricky... Swings and roundabouts! For rocks though, the High BB is great.

I have had my hi fi for a few days now.

At first I was a bit worried I had made the wrong desision as I couldnt do ANYTHING on it!

I have got used to it a bit more now and I love it, I cant tap anywhere near as high as I could, but fromt friends expirience of high bbs, it comes with time and then taps get a lot higher.

I couldnt gap at first, but now I am going further than I could before, I almost landed a 9ft static (slighty sloped though).

I LOVE doing sidehops on this bike, I can easily go to back wheel on walls I was struggling to get up at all on other frames, it just floats up.

one thing I have found the high bb is amazing for is pigeons (wheelswaps?)

I was sooo close to doing a 42" wheelswap.

I can also bunnyhop and manual this bike easier than I could my 1065 pure.

I have ridden a coust a while back, I wasnt impressed.

Gapping: vinco = ok. i could not gap as far with the vinco as i could my coust. its hard to lower the bike and get

yup my 20+ bb rise feels like this, till i got used to it, it felt like there was no power there. :(