Heatsinks Vs Plaz Crms

TrialsBoy22

I was talking to Pete Wright and he said he went on X-Dreams bike with the new 'Sinks on and they completely wore down in one ride! Dunno if it's true or not.  :)

They probably "wore down in one ride" in the same way that Pete said he "rode a demo at bike05", which turned out to be "stood on fatmike's echo behind the stands".

I've got about 2 pairs of Plaz CRM's here sans backings just 'cos of the tripe glue they use... Saying that, the pair I've got on the front are going the distance (hopefully, touch wood (Y)). They'll be having their second birthday soon (Y)

Mark

plaz plaz plaz

mine are mint and loud to fook.

loads of bite and hold on a meduim grind and havnt one one bit . :)  :-

go for them my mate has the heatsinks red and there not that good to be honest and wear unevenley and fast,

but i cant really slate them as i havent used them on MY bike

so plaz

(Y)

The Heatsinks are a very good pad and IF you set them up correctly then they will wear down the same mine havent wore down much to be onist, if you have a grind them yeah they will do but the red pads work best with a smooth rim.

Gaz (Y)

I have the new heatsinks, absolutly amazing pads!!! grip to fook, and dont slip.

One has wore down at a real bad angle due to have been round on the end when received, but the other is still perfect.

rigthy im confused

in your other THREAD you say that u have to use two fingers for your brake to work and they still slip like mad.

am i confused or have i got the wrong end of the stick here?? :)

They probably "wore down in one ride" in the same way that Pete said he "rode a demo at bike05", which turned out to be "stood on fatmike's echo behind the stands".

Mark

LMFAO! You don't half make me laugh Mark! :)

I've had the new 'Sinks for a while now but I haven't used them yet 'cause the thread in my brake mount stripped when I was putting them on (Y) I'll do a review of them in the Pad thread when i've used them for a week or so (Y)

My two cents: They are awsome pads. Way better than the Koxx Bloxx I was using. On a ground rim they simply won't budge in the slightest. But! They feel very soft. My prediction is that wear rate will be a bit crap, but only time will tell on that one I reckon. Maybe Steve's found some super dooper compound that doesn't wear down - fingers crossed :)

i personally would like to here from the man himself to find whether the pads are menat for a grind or a smooth rim, the konigs are sat on my desk in front of me, but not sure whether to try them or not. so steve/......

whats it to be

ben

Sorry to be a bit of a bummer, but i've just got back today, from a few days riding, and my heatsinks have completely dissapeared. The same has happened to frenchman.

£14 for 3 days riding = :)

Mike.

My plazies are loud as fook (trialsboy560 can vouch for that)

Only thing is is that they slip alittle bit when on edges, where my koxx browns would of held :)

I like them though, going to get some more when mine decide to die

My heatsinks never seem to stay good, for the first 2 or so hours, they are amazing, the rest of the time, they just swoosh, and don't hold great. Saying that, i was riding on muddy rocks for the first 2 hours, so i guess the pads are gunna be a bit dirty.

They better last!

The 2005 (WHITE) heatsinks are pants. The pads really are poo, theres no distinctive lock or bite to them, they really are quite poor. My brake is set up PERFECT and anyone whos tried my brake can vouch for that. The only time my heatsinks have worked was when I just got a new deep grind....

Heatsinks (2005) are NOT good, Steve is a very nice person, to nice, but I think anyones just scared to tell him ''hah your pads are shite'' or put them down, I know he put some time in to them..... I don't know maybe it's just my pads, my friends heatsinks are quite poor aswell. Well thats what I think...

Edited by Adamm

Are you talking about the Konigs when you say the 2005 heatsinks, if so, even though its an opinion you are wrong, mine are amazing, when they are working properly, set up square, they can be beaten by nothing. If they were rubbish, i would tell steve, so he could improve, not sit there stewing about wasted money.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree about the Konigs. I can't really comment on wear rate yet, but they've got amazing lock. Everyone else's white pads I've tried have worked super well too :) Simon's wore out pretty fast on the front, but he was doing stoppies and dragging his brake down long hills to a) piss people off with the noise and b) see how fast they would wear...

Maybe they only worked after a deep grind 'cos your rim was contaminated?

Steve is a very nice person, to nice, but I think anyones just scared to tell him ''hah your pads are shite'' or put them down, I know he put some time in to them..... I don't know maybe it's just my pads, my friends heatsinks are quite poor aswell. Well thats what I think...

We're not all out to lick Steve's ass, i admit, my white heatsinks were a bit naff, but these new red one's are awesome! Even on my dead grind...

I'll be re grinding my rim tomorrow so we'll see how they perform on a fresh grind :)

Hello!

Just stumbled across this thread. I'd best answer these questions being posed about the latest pads to clear everything up :)

I've not kept my website up to date (that will hopefully be sorted soon), plus I don't post much on TF, so there is a general lack of information :">

At the moment the pads are at a "Pre-release" stage. Now that after much waiting and digging deep into my pockets, I have a mould tool, I now have a new supplier that moulds the pads. These are assembled by me into brand new Powerpad backings. With these changes to the means of production, there are some unknowns to be learnt about that can only be discovered via getting these pads ridden by a number of riders across a variety of wheel set-ups before the pad spec is at the point it can be officially released.

My intial order for a small batch of moulded pads was in the red compound. Whilst my production mould tool was being made I was able to get a few example pairs made in a simple test tool and this particular compound was found to be excellent for brake grip. The longterm durability remained to be established.

In these last couple of weeks a number of pads (going into double figures) has been sent out to a various riders for testing. In addition I've made some spare pairs available to riders that contacted me keenly wanting to get hold of pads. These were sold to help to cover costs, for example starting to chip away at the money spent out on the pad mould, getting batches moulded, and the new backings.

So far the feedback I'm getting is really positive about the grip performance and the overall build quality. The thing I'm sitting up and taking interest in is that now I've heard 2 reports of them wearing quickly on grinds. I'm really pleased when people can tell me honestly what they think of the pads, because it's only via this process that I can get them spot on for release!

I really would like to hear more from others who may have been holding back on saying negative things because they have really appreciated me sending them pads.

Coupled with receiving these pads and assembling them, I've also started riding every night so I can also take part in the long term testing. It's tricky to fit riding in alongside the busy life of being a Dad, but now I've got a little playground arranged in the woods near my house some decent riding is suddenly really convenient. My personal experiences are that after a couple of weeks riding every night they seem to be wearing faster than some pads. They are about half worn now and are still grunting loudly away and giving me confidence to trust my bike.

It's rather simplistic, but at this stage they remind me of peoples' perception of Zoo! pads. Very grippy but wear quickly on a grind, so are more commonly used on ceramic/smooth rims for sensible value for money. I need to get more rider feedback though to see whether this is consistant across the board. Also this was the very first run of pads, so I'm discussing the manufacturing set-up with the moulders to explore any options to maximise the properties of the material from the means it's processed.

I'm also very keen to try out another compound which I previously did not have acces to with my last supplier. I will be selecting from those riders that have kindly taken the time to give me honest feedback and sending them out some of these pads for them to compare. Also for those that are keen to get their hands on these exclusive pads and be part of the testing team, I will be taking payment which will help to pay for the costs involved. From working with the moulders up until now, I think that the 15th of June is a realistic estimate for when I will have this comparison batch of pads. I have a limited number of red pads available for the meantime.

^ Pre-release Konig Pads

So, in a nutshell:

1. The pads are at a pre-release stage

2. Limited number available of red pads with the majority used for testing with some still surplus and available to buy (which helps pay costs)

3. A few reports of speedy wear on a grind - if you did want a pair out of the few I have surplus, please bear this in mind. Alternatively, this shouldn't be a problem if you run a ceramic/smooth rim.

4. I would really love to hear more back from those riding these pads - I've heard alot of positive things, but would like to hear any negatives too since these are the most valuable so I can improve things.

5. The plan is to make my website easier to update so I can put any information about my pads on there for any interested parties. I much prefer this rather than posting on TF and boring you all about my pads!

6. New batch of reuseable Vee pads currently being machined. Available again in 2 weeks time (around the 15th of June)

Just to restate the request for more feedback - If you PM me with your experiences, please understand that I may not reply for a few days since I'm increasingly out with baby Callum and so don't reply to messages as swiflty as before.

Thanks,

Steve

I used the new red pads at the euros, I am VERY impressed with them.

I was using koxx reds before, they had good grip but as I got tired they would slip, not so with the heatsinks, they kept working and working. This is the best I have ever got my brake working.

I only used them for the comp, on a harsh grind. they wore about a mill, I can imagian they wouldnt last very long.

I havnt used the in the wet yet, so I cant comment on that.

I would probably want these pads for comp only, and use slightly harder (well, longer lasting) pads of every day use.

I also have the v brake virsions, I have put them on my bmx chrome rim, they are twice as good as the spanish flys I had on before.

I was talking to Pete Wright and he said he went on X-Dreams bike with the new 'Sinks on and they completely wore down in one ride! Dunno if it's true or not.  ;)

Well I've got a medium grind on my Ronnie rim. I've got them set up as best I can (my dropouts are f**ked so it's a little hard) and I can't see any wearing. Or couldn't last time I looked.

I'll go look again now *runs to look*

All I can see is one pad adjusting to the rim angle, so it's worn like 0.5mm ish.

I'll get you pictures in a tic :)

These pads are really good. I haven't used any tar on them, merely because I haven't needed to. I put some on Yesterday, as I had re-aligned my wheel, and wanted the pads to work ASAP, without having to re-adjust to my rim. And they did.

Their squeek is really good. And I'm loving the pads. I was talkin to Wayne and we've both decided they're the best we've both used so far.

I'll get pics in a minute anyway. Nick

Ah, that's not that bad! What's up with your drop outs? (If you don't mind me asking.)

:)

I don't mind at all. Since the Alu is U6, it's softer than other metals, and therefore, flexes, and doesn't crack/snap as easy. That's why they're good frames to ride.

The dropouts have got indentations from my old wheel being tightened up, and it was slightly differently true'd (spelling (Y)) than my current one which is 100% straight.

Therefore, these indentations make the new wheel slip into them, and make it not align properly.

My snailcams just move, however tight the bolts are on my wheel. And Tensioner's won't fit, due to the CNC'd dropout bits.

So, my wheel's always at an angle, unless I file it down to make the indentations go away, which will void warrenty. Or get a 1/2 price replacement or whatever through Selectbikes or whatever.

Let's hope I can. Nick