Unsure Weather Or Not To Continue

Jonno

Right, in the last....year and a half? iv managed to tear the ligerments in my left ankle, which hurt a hell of a lot but i just put it down to mistakes, then friday night i bailed and managed to chip a bone in my ankle, tear the ligerments and severely (sp?) sprain my ankle, all this one foot up in the air belive it or not,

so anywho im wondering if its worth carrying on riding trials, because everytime i injur myself it seems to get worse, and now because i tore the ligerments in my left ankle its EXTREMELY weak, which was hard enough to cope with, now iv got both ankles like that so it dosent take much to put me out of riding for a week or two, at the moment im on crutches and restricted to my room so iv plently of time to think about it all, i just wondered if anyone else could give me any advice on weather or not to take a break from trials/quit,

any comments appriciated,

Jonno

hmmn i think you should carry on man i mean why not just do the less bigger things like drops or doing hooks where theres a strong possiblity that your going to fall off or damage your ankles because i can tell you now it aiont nice not being able to ride and i can assure you you will want to ride again even if you did say "i quit"

Pauly

hmmn i think you should carry on man i mean why not just do the less bigger things like drops or doing hooks where theres a strong possiblity that your going to fall off or damage your ankles because i can tell you now it aiont nice not being able to ride and i can assure you you will want to ride again even if you did say "i quit"

Pauly

As he said, even of you say that you have quit you always get the urge to just have a little go on your bike again or go for a ride with your mates. Trials is addictive and therefore hard to let go of completely, especially if you have been doing it for quite a while. If you feel that your body can take no more, then stop for you healths sake. However, if you are still keen to ride and look forward to getting back on your bike then carry on riding, even if you dont go for the big stuff all the time. The choice is really up to you. :-

why not take up another sport/hobby and do trials aswell but do 50% on each? that way you will appreciate riding more when you do it, you will have another sport/hobby to do if you do decide to quit and the other activity could be one which would not involve any physical demands on your body therefore letting it heal.

Guy

These type of topics bug me a bit now :-

Just sit down and right down everything you love about trials and everything you hate about trials... if the hates outweigh the loves then quit.

Alternatively, just put your bike in the shed and leave it there... move on to another hobby or whatever... then in a couple week when you realize what a tit you have been and how much you love trials, hook it back out and carry on again :)

Job's a goodun.

then in a couple week when you realize what a tit you have been and how much you love trials, hook it back out and carry on again :-

Job's a goodun.

haha this bit made me chuckle, im currently talking with a physio (sp?) trying to get it all worked out,

Well i'm asume your a really ' i don't give a shit' rider, who just goes for stff. So maby just ride, but done go for the gigantic stuff, maby try chaning your riding style to the mroe technical side. Less chance of hurting yourself.

:-

quit then ride a steady bit of motor trials with big boots on and ankle biters. not worth risking you ankles for rest of your life and working carear :-

why not just buy some high tops? may not be your style, but you cant just stop riding because of that, these would be a good idea:

985-113866-p.jpg

EDIT: ok ive now they realised they look terrible, and are probably very restricting, but you wont damage your ankles...

Edited by rickycoleman

to anyone in this situation, i recommend u get ur ankles sorted out first! i don't wanna quit trials, but after a couple o bad sprains, i sought advice from a physio. there are quite a few other riders (inc tarty) seein the same guy.

Just keep riding I've broken both my ankles twice and had numerous really bad sprains and ligament damage but i still ride. Believe it or not but when theyre really weak they roll over a lot but nothin gets damaged

the most ridiculuous reply possible if u wanna carry on ridin because ur ankles are so bad it don't do much damage anymore, wait til u totally shatter the bastards through lack of stability. then tell me it was worth a few weeks off gettin em fixed, while u roll around in ur wheelchair.

look after ur bodies. trials is worth the effort of gettin urself fit to carry on with it. but not worth riskin ur ability to live a fulfilling life past the age of 30.

slord@hotmail.com for the physio. he is a top guy, and i'm sure u'll get many good references if u ask around. has worked wonders on mine :-

smithy

Keep going, something to do. I too have f*cked my left ankle. Its ok, until I drop something over 6ft, it just feels all broken and horrible. But meh! Thats the fun of it!

I did a wee bit of flatland before trials, and i was trying a no handed frame stand and the bike fell with my ankle trapped inbetween the top tube and the seat. That was the only time that I had to go to hospital, touch wood trials is safer than flatland....for me anyway lol

if i was you id start doing small things and gradually build it up till you find your limit, then just stay there, that way you can enjoy trials and still keep your body in one piece

yeah but you have to push yourself to improve......