Getting Back Into Trials After 10 Years Break

MikeWarner

Hye man, nice to see old Skool riders back in the flow.

I started riding just before trials kick off.

I can remeber what it was like to be very limited in what you buy, and having to learn on a Kona Hahana.

Trials has come along way, but if you have balaence, you should pick some new moves up pretty fast.

Alot of these new bikes will make riding alot easier, I built up and Old Skool Gt Backwoods to ride for while, just to remeber, and my Ashton had cracked.

It was such hard work.

If you need some riders, a few of usre in worhitng alot, only 21 miles from you.

That reminds me, were long overdue to visit Chichester again

Thanks for all the replies - this is a great forum, and I should know as I run this one;

migweb which has 4 million pages views a month. Cars are my other passion - the reason I left trials riding all those years ago. I currently have an Astra Coupe Turbo with 250bhp - which is nice. :)

Thanks again, I look forward to getting back into the sport and using this forum on a regular basis. :(

Edited by MikeWarner

just watched vid and i am amazed you can do a lot of that stuff on them bikes, i wonder how many people on here could do all that with the weak brakes, and the high frame, i wouldn't like to think my nads were that close to the frame, nice vid mate. >_<

Not even kidding, there was some stuff in that video I can't do now, on my leeson. And I ride Expert at competitions. :'( :blink:

Damn cool riding dude, you should definately get yourself something newer than the Zaskar, there are so many frames better suited to trials, and some which still have that old skoolness about them. Leeson's are pretty good :-"

Glad to see someone getting back into it, have fun. (Y)

Rich

Edited by karsonlevoret

Damn - I was under the impression that the stuff in that vid was crap by today's standards, maybe I was wrong. I did ride trials for another 2 or 3 years after that vid and got much better (on platforms too).

I'm really tempted to get a new frame now thanks to all the comments here. I do like the idea of keeping a bike that resembles a normal MTB though (i.e. gears, saddle, front suspension) - like those used by Hans Rey and Ryan Leech. I'm really tempted by the Hans Rey frame and it seems that this should be suitable......

Id go for a base ta26 it would provide just the feel i think youre after.

I usedto have one and i really loved it only got replaced due to a crack in it but was bought from a good rider who went big.

and there only cheap at like £180 and i can imagine a price drop soon also.

Yhe only downside imo is the v brake bosses at the rear rather than the dedicated 4 bolt magura mounts, however if your running a v or prefer evo mounts itll be great for you :blink:

i cant remember which hans ray one your thinking of but if its the gt ive heard bad reviews about them, so id steer clear and there price aint they?

its a good frame, that will no doubt be bombproof but aimed more towards street stuff, as the wheelbase isnt as long as a echo or zoo. but i think itd be an exelent frame for you with sus and a seat on. :blink:

an oldskool trials'r nice one geez, got in to it back in 1994 myself met Hand Rey a few times top man! I had a Zaskar me self then went to a cannondale now on a T-tex what a beast !

You will love the new kit around now get on it

wow, I am so amazed at how far trials (and mtb in general) has come since back then. (Y) . You and your brother were very good in that vid. You must have had some strange looks/coments though from passers by as the sport was so small many people would have wondered what on earth you were doing. :'(

I think that a Hans Rey frame would be nice, maybe not the best handling bike out there but a huge improvment over your previous bike.

Anyway, good luck with getting back into the sport and just remember that you need lots of practice, because is does make perfect. (eventually) :blink:

Good that your getting back into riding after so long out.

Will tell you what i think of the video when it has finished downloading (taking bloody years).

That GT frame looks bloody awful. Your best bet is to have ago on peoles bikes first before you decide what to buy.

See which bike you feel most comfortable etc on :blink:

I thought that vid was dam good.

I was 5 when that was filmed. God. Lol.

Check out the vids section on here and look at some of the popular threads, like zoo ones YOU WILL be impressed.

I'd get a leeson or a base both good frames. I reckon the leeson is better though as its custom and stronger.

please don't get that GT get a base ta26 there only £170 and really well made frame with good geo.

vid was great i would never be able to do some of that shit on a bike like that cant see how u did it.

(Y) :-

I know a few of you don't like the Hans Rey frame, but I considered others and I really like it.... so I've bought one. I should have it tomorrow. I'll build it up using components from my old Zaskar and I'll upgrade as I go. Should be a good base to get me back into the sport. (Y)

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys - I've not been on here for a while. With regards to the video on the first post of this thread, my only copy of it was on a hard drive that failed a few weeks back.

I know this is a long shot, but y any chance did anyone download and keep a copy of it that they can email me? Do let me know. Thanks :)

Mike

Hi Guys - I've not been on here for a while. With regards to the video on the first post of this thread, my only copy of it was on a hard drive that failed a few weeks back.

I know this is a long shot, but y any chance did anyone download and keep a copy of it that they can email me? Do let me know. Thanks :)

Mike

Yeah cause I was going to say damn man. I wanna see your vid now. Plus I love Metallica (older stuff)