Getting Back Into Trials After 10 Years Break

MikeWarner

Hi All.

I used to do trials loads from 1990 to around 1995. Back then it was a much smaller sport and people rode trials using normal mtbs.

I have just bought a Rockhopper disk for XC to get fit, but I still have my old bike - a 1993 GT Zaskar. I plan to rebuild this and update it a bit to use as a 100% trials bike. If I manage to get back into it again, I will probably buy a proper modern trials bike.

Back in the early 90s I was what was considered a very good trials rider - one of the best in the area. I have looked at riders recently and watched Manifesto and it has become very apparent that the level of skill has increase considerably - meaning that where I was 10 years ago, it nowhere by today's standards (oh well).

If there are any trials riders in the Chichester or surrounding areas (Portsmouth etc), I would be interested in tagging along if that is ok.

I made a video of me and my brother riding back in 1993. It is 35mb in size, but is pretty long - please bare in mind though that this is 12 years old. I'm the one of the black GT Zaskar. Download it below. (Y)

Trails - Mike and Paul 1993

Edited by MikeWarner

(Y) just watched the vid and that looks impressive, reminds me of normal trials rider on some xc bikes trying to do trials

i think if you had a go on a one of the newer trials bike you would feel at home

good luck

(Y) just watched the vid and that looks impressive, reminds me of normal trials rider on some xc bikes trying to do trials

i think if you had a go on a one of the newer trials bike you would feel at home

good luck

You may be right. The newer bikes are shorter and taller at the front. Also, they have better clearance at the top tube and the bottom bracket. This could contribute to the better level for riding now. Oh - also, trials riders in the early 90s only had the option of using XC parts - including wheels, so you were also limited by what the bike could handle.

Hopefully I'll get back into it again and I'll buy a new bike (quite liking the look of the GT Hans Rey frame....)

You may be right.  The newer bikes are shorter and taller at the front.  Also, they have better clearance at the top tube and the bottom bracket.  This could contribute to the better level for riding now.  Oh - also, trials riders in the early 90s only had the option of using XC parts - including wheels, so you were also limited by what the bike could handle.

Hopefully I'll get back into it again and I'll buy a new bike (quite liking the look of the GT Hans Rey frame....)

nice vid (Y)

hows about trying something like a leeson frame( www.leesonbikes.co.uk) as they could build you up a frame exactly how you like it for around 400 quid.

hope you enjoy the new and improved sport :D

ta

Will

You may be right.  The newer bikes are shorter and taller at the front.  Also, they have better clearance at the top tube and the bottom bracket.  This could contribute to the better level for riding now.  Oh - also, trials riders in the early 90s only had the option of using XC parts - including wheels, so you were also limited by what the bike could handle.

he he loved the video, so old skool...you guys were kinda freeridy-and your bikes rocked!

id love to see some of the tf lot on the kinda bike you were riding, they wouldnt know what to do (then again nor would i) with narrow flat bars and cantilever brakes (or were they vs?), let alone no clearance for thier nads.....

anyway something like the hans rey would probably suit you, im guessing you will wanna be doing jumpy stuff to?

he he loved the video, so old skool...you guys were kinda freeridy-and your bikes rocked!

id love to see some of the tf lot on the kinda bike you were riding, they wouldnt know what to do (then again nor would i) with narrow flat bars and cantilever brakes (or were they vs?), let alone no clearance for thier nads.....

anyway something like the hans rey would probably suit you, im guessing you will wanna be doing jumpy stuff to?

Cheers for all the replies. Brakes back then were all cantelevers, although Maguras were around - but they had crappy flexible resin levels back then and they were break easily in a crash.

The more I read this site, the more I feel I need a new bike...... I would quite like to build my own again, like my Zaskar. I rode trials for 2 to 3 years after that video was taken, so got a bit better. In the video I wsas using SPDs (really!), but I learnt to use platforms in 1994. The bike now has hope titanium hubs, middleburn cranks, GT alloy pedals, control tech stem, club roost bars, USE post, flite saddle, mavic rims, mostly XT, deore V-Brakes, RockShox.... all very old stuff though.

I think I'll learn what I can here before I go building a trials bike.

i used to ride trials on my gt analanche...huge arse frame....

glad to see the trials bugs bit you again....

i like the look of the gt hanz ray frame...dont care what anyone else thinks...reminds me of the gool ol' days!

(Y)

i like the look of the gt hanz ray frame...dont care what anyone else thinks...reminds me of the gool ol' days!

(Y)

I think that might be why I like it - I used to really admire Hans Rey back then, Hence the Zaskar. Hans even rode my bike as I met him at the 1993 Malvern Hills classic event and asked him to try it out. In fact he approached me, as black anodised Zaskars where extremely rare (mine was apparentl the only one in the UK). Hans rode Zaskars for years.

Cheers for all the replies.  Brakes back then were all cantelevers, although Maguras were around - but they had crappy flexible resin levels back then and they were break easily in a crash.

The more I read this site, the more I feel I need a new bike......  I would quite like to build my own again, like my Zaskar.  I rode trials for 2 to 3 years after that video was taken, so got a bit better.  In the video I wsas using SPDs (really!), but I learnt to use platforms in 1994.  The bike now has hope titanium hubs, middleburn cranks, GT alloy pedals, control tech stem, club roost bars, USE post, flite saddle, mavic rims, mostly XT, deore V-Brakes, RockShox.... all very old stuff though.

I think I'll learn what I can here before I go building a trials bike.

You can probably use alot of that stuff you have to build up a new bike. Just get new frame, forks and rims and anything else that might need updating and you'd be off with a sweet bike (Y)

Yey, i saw Portsmouth!

Good stuff. Hell, i couldn't two wheel that rock ledge thing till not to long ago! :P

Don't get me wrong, the Hans Ray frame is a good one, but have you looked at other frames? There are a bloody load these days, but just making sure you've had the full walk through, as trials, as you have noticed, has come a bloody long way since 1993.

Hell, i wasn't even in England in 1993. (Y)

Good stuff, nice to see people returning to the sport. :D

Nice video mate!, Glad to see someone getting back into trials that did it that long ago.

Its good to see someone that can do that much on that sort of frame. I think you will pick trials up very fast again and especially if you chose to get a modern frame as they are much more adapted to trials and make it alot easier!

Good luck (Y)

Yeh I agree a leeson would suit you nicely!

Cool vid, I liked the bit at the end where you hopped over the bike in particular.

Good luck with getting back into trials andIm sure the old skill will come back pretty quickly!

Cheers,

Scott

Cheers. I don't think the skill will be as much of an issue as the balls required. After ten years out and age 30, I think confidence is going to be the main factor. Edited by MikeWarner

I think that might be why I like it - I used to really admire Hans Rey back then, Hence the Zaskar.  Hans even rode my bike as I met him at the 1993 Malvern Hills classic event and asked him to try it out.  In fact he approached me, as black anodised Zaskars where extremely rare (mine was apparentl the only one in the UK).  Hans rode Zaskars for years.

Carnt help with the frame . :(

Just saying welcome back and if you ever back up in malvern let me no there quite a few riders up and arround here now ! :)

Hope it goes well Sam.