Simple Network To Share A Net Connection?

rich4130

Hey, we want to setup two computers on one broabband connection, nothing fancy, just cheap, what would I need to do it? Just some network cards, a router thingy, modem and a few cables?

What would be the best stuff to get, and the best place to get it all from? I'm not very good with this sort of thing.

Needs to be as cheap as possible, 'cos I'm paying hehe.

cheers lads.

rich.

If it's just two computers you just need a 'cross over' netowrk able. Thats all you will need.

The you just need to set it up which will be the hardest part.

If it's just two computers you just need a 'cross over' netowrk able. Thats all you will need.

The you just need to set it up which will be the hardest part.

Its to share a broadband connection, the only reason.

How does the modem bit work with just a cross over cable thingy?

cheers.

Its to share a broadband connection, the only reason.

How does the modem bit work with just a cross over cable thingy?

cheers.

Well you have the modem going into one of your USB prots. So you just conect the two netowrk cards up with a 'crossover' network cable. That's it really.

depends on what type of connection you have

if it is a cable connection (ie telewest) then you need an cable router

if it is a connection like bt etc.. that go through your phone line then you need an iosdn router

2 cables to connect each pc together

easy plug and play pretty much

and if you do the method as suggested above then the computer woith the modem plugged into you would need turned on to run interent on the other pc

DAN

Doing it that way would require having the host computer turned on (the one with the modem plugged into it) for the other computer to use the internet.

If you do it that way, a search on google for 'windows internet connection sharing' should help.

In my experience its all a bit dodgy though and not the easiest to set up. If the modem you have has an ethernet\network cable port on it already (as well as usb) then get one of these, plus a couple of ethernet cables (patch\straight) and a couple of network cards (bout a fiver each). All available on ebuyer.com..

Cheers Tom, So I need..?

ADSL Modem

Router

1 Network Card (got one already)

Cable wise, I'll need:

One from modem to router?

And 2x from router to the PC's?

What is the cable called from modem to router? from router to Pc's is just normal ethernet cable?

Thanks.

Edited by rich4130

The best way to avoid having one computer on all the time is to pick up a cheap broadband router from somewhere like ebuyer.co.uk. A wired one like this will be fine as long as you can get the wires between the two machines, and then obviously a couple of network cards. This lot should set you back less than 30 quid and you also get a print server so you can print from both computers, which is quite snazzy.

If you're with telewest, and on a real budget you could also try connecting one machine to the modem (black box thing that plugs into the wall - mine is a motorola) using ethernet (network cable) and one using usb, as mine has both types of port on the back. Not sure if this works though...

...oohh, well it seems all that has been covered by tomturd. Oops :">

Edited by Drew

I still think my way is better, you just have to buy one cable, thats it.

Sure you have to have the computer with the modem on if you want to use the other computer. But it's a small price to pay for having to buy and setup all that other stuff. (Y)

I still think my way is better, you just have to buy one cable, thats it.

Sure you have to have the computer with the modem on if you want to use the other computer. But it's a small price to pay for having to buy and setup all that other stuff.  (N)

Guaranteed setting a router up is FAR easier than setting up a crossover with ICS, and alot less temperamental. In the long run a router is worth the initial cost.

My BT router (BT Voyager 205) has one ethernet and one USB connection, so two computers can share the connection - one USB, one ethernet. At the moment I connect my laptop using the USB cable and the other computers connect to a wireless hub (linked to the ethernet port in the router).