Lightest Tyres For Trials?

MikeWarner

For front or back?

20" or 26"?

For front on a 26", I swear by a Panaracer FireXC pro 2.1. I think they're about 500g, which is about as light as you're gonna get. Plus the grip is fine for me. A lot of (compy) people are starting to go for big fat heavy front tyres for natural (Something like a maxxis single ply). It's up to you really.

And El Gatos are shit (N) No pinch protection whatsoever and the grip isn't amazing either. For the back I would say get a heavier tyre and sod the weight. Heavier tyre = more pinch protection = you can run lower pressures = better grip and more bounce and nicer "feel". But for a lightweight tyre, I think Panaracer Megablasters are about 800g. Very big and fat, and cheap (£13!) if you can get hold of them still?

And El Gatos are shit  No pinch protection whatsoever and the grip isn't amazing either

Im 12.5 stone and hardly ever pinch it. If i do it is my own fault for smashing it into an edge.

I find mine grip very well too. Just because its not made out of glue and wont need to be replaced ever month doesnt mean it dont grip.

They weight 860g.

Obviously if you do massive drop gaps all the time with 20psi then its not for you.

If you for a panaracer on the front, dont get the fire xc get the trailblaster I guarantee its 5x better.

Have you got a single ply on the rear??

If so I take it your pretty smooth. I had a single ply highroller on the front for a short period but I took it off because it rimmed out to much (even on the front) and had terrible grip.

Edited by JIX

If you for a panaracer on the front, dont get the fire xc get the trailblaster I guarantee its 5x better.

If so I take it your pretty smooth. I had a single ply highroller on the front for a short period but I took it off because it rimmed out to much (even on the front) and had terrible grip.

(N) thats what i use and they are fine.

hot s on the rear and a continental verticle for the front.

Yeah - I had a pinch puncture on the rear within 5 mins on Saturday. (N)"

What pressure do you run it at.?

I really didnt like my one, I think I used it for a month and then took it off. Its still in my garage. For I hated the grip for natural, lots of people use them for natural I just didnt like it. I bought it to replace my trailblaster and it was just no where near as good.

If we're getting silly, a continental supersonic on the front and a Maxxis single ply pumped up hard on the back would be very light. Don't know if super light tyres are really the way to go seeing as you are re-learning though because you will probably suffer from flatties all the time.

I'd stick with your current set up until they wear out to be honest and then see how you are on the smoothness side of things - that way you'll be able to gauge whether or not lighter tyres are the way to go.

James

James - you are probably right - but I have just ordered a Panaracer for the front. Should be ok up front, the rear is what take a beating mostly. I'll keep the Maxxis on the rear - the panaracer along saves around 300g+ on the front end, so should help.

I have also ordered some Magura HS33s today - bye bye V-Brakes (N) B)

why you worrying bout weight?

P

O

I

N

T

L

E

S

S

!

just buy tyres that stick to rocks such as try all tyres like IOLO has said, fire XC pro are ok but there is better grip for same weight or lighter, the Cinder is a good front tyre but mate if you want to be a weight weenie on the back then expect to puncture like a mother trucker!

Waynio.......................

just buy the best tyres you can be advised and get best grip and puncture resistance not lightest that are crap and puncture when you look at them.

Just out of interest Waynio, why do you write your post, sign off, then add more at the end (N)

Sounds good Mike, looks as though you'll have a very worthy steed once the Magura's are on. I am very local to you (southampton) so you should come out for a ride one time with us, P.M me and I'll give you my number or msn or whatever and we can meet up.

James

I think its definately worth getting some nice light tyres, particularly on the front! My stock felt sooo much more fun to ride when it was lighter and more lively. I would say the panaracer fire XC Pro 2.1 is THE perfect front tyre IMO.

Aso for rear, maybe a mitchelin comp somethingorother, 2.2? My mates got one and it seems nice, not particulaly light though.

Bikes with light wheels feel awesome (N). Its alot easier to get the wheels moving and as such the bike feels more manouverable, more responsive and just generally more fun to ride. I'm gonna try out a tubeless system, then I can run lighter tyres without the worry of pinch flats B)