A Warning For You All

trials_pimp

Got sent this, so Ill share with you guys, just so you can keep an eye out.....

VERY IMPORTANT WARNING

>>

>>

>> Please be extremely careful especially if using internet mail

>>such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on. This information arrived

>>this morning from Microsoft and Norton.

>>

>> Please send it to everybody you know who accesses the Internet.

>>

>>You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point

>>presentation "Life is beautiful."

>>

>>If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, and

>>delete it immediately. If you open this file, a message will appear

>>on your screen saying: "It is too late

>>

>>now, your life is no longer beautiful." Subsequently you will LOSE

>>EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you will gain

>>access to your name, e-mail and password.

>>

>>

>> This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday

>>afternoon AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the antivirus

>>software's are not capable of destroying it. The virus has been

>>created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner."

>>

>>PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIEND

The e-amil you are showing us itself is not only a hoax, but some may even class it as a virus itself, because it cause's you to send it too all your mates, then they sent it to all of there's etc, and it ends up causing a lot of net traffic, hence slowing things down slightly for everyone.

Silly viruses.

I think the best one was the one that disabled your computer fans until your PC caught fire lol.

only if you computer fans where run on 3-pin molex's :lol:

If your fans run from the power supply then there is no way avirus can turn them off.

HEHE, somewhere on my old PC i have a virus in a file, if i open it, it melts the motherboard somehow :lol: :o

I sent it to someone through a e-mail and their pc totally fooked up! lol he opened it and all the motherboard was melted lol.

I think its the motherboard... might be prossesor, dunno lol

HEHE, somewhere on my old PC i have a virus in a file, if i open it, it melts the motherboard somehow  :lol:  :o

I sent it to someone through a e-mail and their pc totally fooked up! lol he opened it and all the motherboard was melted lol.

cock...

HEHE, somewhere on my old PC i have a virus in a file, if i open it, it melts the motherboard somehow  :lol:  :o

All the cool points in the world to you, or all the bullshitter points, i can't decide which B)

only if you computer fans where run on 3-pin molex's :(

If your fans run from the power supply then there is no way avirus can turn them off.

lol! ill soon know if my afns die :) 5 case fans, hmmmmm the noise will be gone, oh and alot of alarms going off, surly can't you just turn off your computer? like wack the power button or turn it off at psu? does it nacker every fan in your computer or just case fans, i mean like graphics card one, cpu and psu?

Forget firewalls and virus guards.

Anyone with a basic knowledge of BASIC can create an Excel/Word/Powerpoint document that will do these sorts of things. It's easy as you like (especially with Office 2000 onwards).

Usually if the document contains a macro, a warning message box appears, saying that if the macros are allowed to run then harm can be done. If you click 'yes' then you could be doomed...

Virus guards won't pick this up because it is not a virus - it is a coded (but not compiled) macro running from an Office document. Firewalls are useless as the file download would be allowed by the user, and when it runs it isn't using the network/internet connection, so the firewall has no effect.

As for this file, I haven't heard of it, but it wouldn't take a genius to create this kind of document...

EDIT: Although, having checked out that McAfee link, perhaps virus guards do now cover files like this (but surely only if they know the exact filename of the hoax? Although, since VBA does not compile, you can easily extract the source code from the document and scan it for harmful code...). So, if virus guards CAN protect against these sorts of files, then... I've learnt something new today. Thanks.

Edited by snappel