Question

aaron_trials _247

hey al,,

just to prove a point ot a rider in the area who reckons that his lbs can repair hope hubs (fitting ratchet rings etc...)

can they or can they not fit ratchet rings or do hope have to do it themselves ( i know they canoot as ive asked hope before)

DAN

reply soon pppl please

Edited by aaron_trials _247

Anyone can service hope hubs, even my cat, and hes asleep on the floor......

They are a very simple hub.

Replaceing ratchet rings isnt, thats something that Hope themselfs will have to do.

They mill the old one out, and expand the new one in.

Or something like that.

Servicing a Hub isnt hard, Ive replaced Hope ratchets and springs 1/2 way through a ride, its just that simple.

hey al,,

just to prove a point ot a rider in the area who reckons that his lbs can repair hope hubs (fitting ratchet rings etc...)

can they or can they not fit ratchet rings or do hope have to do it themselves ( i know they canoot as ive asked hope before)

DAN

reply soon pppl please

i don't see any reason why they can't? anyone can service hope hubs - and anything that needs replacing can be ordered from hope. i suppose this is correct to a certain extent as some said earlier, as the ratchet rings will have to be done by hope themselves :shifty:

Edited by tom!e

the rathchet ring is usually very well stuk in and hope do it so you dont get to see the hub being heated up and battered a few times (at a guess!!) as the tool will usually need battering into a chewed up ratchet and heating up so that the hub and ratchet expands then makes it easier to withdraw.

Also i think if a shop had a tool they could do it but it would cost a hell of alot labour wise unless it literally came out pretty quick.

Waynio....................

if im wrong ill admit it but when i go into work tomoz ill ask if they do but they are deof able to service hope hubs to a certain extent

Just to ask, who is Ian Rainbird?

I'm a Rainbird and haven't heard of any others for a while so may have a look into it...

Bit off topic I know so sorry, but just interested...

:shifty:

but a local bike shop CANNOT refit a new ratchet ring in theyre shop is what everyone is saying

so ian have one of these eggs to suck and shut ur mouth in future

DAN the only time i have ever gotten a ring out is when i managed to rip it form the hub shell and then it was that loose in the hub i pulled it out with my fingers

DAN

Just to ask, who is Ian Rainbird?

I'm a Rainbird and haven't heard of any others for a while so may have a look into it...

Bit off topic I know so sorry, but just interested...

add me to msn mate. msn addy is in profile

meh couldnt care less what hope can do and where i work can do to be honest i dont have a hope so it dont fuss me

Its not just a question of if they can or can't. For example the bike shop NEEDS to have authorisation to sell Kona bikes/Norco bikes etc. IMO I think the bike shop needs to have atleast 1 member of the shop to be qualified to service hope hubs before he's allowed to.

Yeah they might be able to, but not qualified

I might be wrong though. Thats just my thought

Just to make it clear it isn't what i would call a "local" bike shop they specially sell £6k road bikes. So i guess that they would have the tool. But i think your argument is more with Ian saying he can do everything and that he can do everything, which MAY be true, but don't post on Rick's behalf, all me and him want is to get his hub fixed so we can ride the trading estate and take a trip to london as soon as possible.

what tool??

when i did mine, i took out the old ratchet ring by putting my hub on my lathe an shaved it away.

to but the new one in, put the ring in the freezer, then heat up the hub, then just tap it in with a small hammer (keep it straight...). Make sure you put it in the right way up though or your pawls won't engage!

sorry dan but just because you took a hub apart doesn't mean you know how it works! if someone that eats sleeps an breathes bikes cant do it when he does have the tools ill be buggered!

basically shut your face stop being a bitch all the time and only open that big trap of yours when you know 100% about what your on about

rant over

oggy

what tool??

when i did mine, i took out the old ratchet ring by putting my hub on my lathe an shaved it away.

to but the new one in, put the ring in the freezer, then heat up the hub, then just tap it in with a small hammer (keep it straight...). Make sure you put it in the right way up though or your pawls won't engage!

where did u buy the new ring from????

what tool??

Clever bob :( he can fix anything!

what tool??

i think you will find the ratchet rings are on a screw thread, did you just have a pressed fit if you tapped it in with a hammer?

please explain!

ash

• 2 weeks later...
Just to make it clear it isn't what i would call a "local" bike shop they specially sell £6k road bikes. So i guess that they would have the tool. But  i think your argument is more with Ian saying he can do everything and that he can do everything, which MAY be true, but don't post on Rick's behalf, all me and him want is to get his hub fixed so we can ride the trading estate and take a trip to london as soon as possible.

basically you can shut the f**k up as everyone has proved here (unless your a quite highly skilled engineere with lathing and machineing equiptment then you or a local bikeshop cannot replace ratchet rings ok? and also im not posting on ricks behalf im posting on my half just to prove a point to ian and just because a bike shop sells 6 grand bikes does that mean that they are more than a local bike shop??? NO I f**kING DOESNT a local bike shop is your bike shop that asells bikes an unlocal bike shop would be something along the lines of like crc or something like that not some crappy little scummy jd cycles in the middle of a shit hole area in the middle of shit hole essex ...

sorry dan but just because you took a hub apart doesn't mean you know how it works! if someone that eats sleeps an breathes bikes cant do it when he does have the tools ill be buggered!

basically shut your face stop being a bitch all the time and only open that big trap of yours when you know 100% about what your on about

rant over

oggy

and you for f**k sake ! im not saying anything about me knowing everything about hubs etc etc... its not a tool that they use as someone up ^^^<<> said its machined out and a new one pressed in

i wont shut my face until someone shuts it for me (literally) and you stop being a bitch always f**king makins shit up about stuf u done and crap liek that i been hearin all the "rumours" of all these things youve done and crap and basically its all bolocks even the people ive been hearing it from have being saying that your basically a liying little b*****d and you havent a chance at the things that you have been saying about ... i am 110% sure of what im talking about and i have been backed up to 220% now from the tf users that a normal bikeshop cannot have the facilites to replace a hope racther ring ok ? so how about you stop bitching .. you shut ur big trap (that seems to keep blowing open and spilling shit all the time/..) ok?

so both of you can actually shut the f**k up as im getin pretty pissed off with you 2 now so...