Orange Patriot 6.6

rupertsub2003

(Y)" If you are blowing all that money on a dh bike i think you would no weather it was any good i.e you must ride dh a lot to be spending that much on one. (Y) I don't do dh this is a trials forum but ime sure there is a couple of downhill riders on here wich will help you out.

Jason Clark. :)

To be fair, what Chris says is true - lots of times the components aren't necessarily what you actually would choose yourself...

as for colours - a pal of mine has that exact one that you've displayed in the pic (obviously not that one before anyone's a smartass!)... and it looks really well I think. Other kona colours kind of suck. dunno if the stinky comes in other colours but kona have a light blue and a creamy colour that gets all smudged up the moment you touch it - and light blue's a bit gay really isn't it!?

That pal has just come back from Morzine and put the bike through it's paces bigtime - hasn't let him down at all where another friend on his Scott Nitrous had a nightmare holiday for parts....

Stinky really is as much as you'll need unless you are doing big big drop offs...

Personally, I'd just get a nice hardtail frame. With the £1000 you'll have saved over the Orange frame, you can then afford a nicer spec for the rest of the bike.

Riding a hardtail first will make you learn how to use the bike more effectively over rougher terrain (you'll learn how to let the bike flow underneath you better, as opposed to just letting sus take the hits. That way, when you get a full susser you'll be able to set the sus up more effectively to take care of the bigger hits), you'll be forced to focus on line choice 'cos you'll have to pick the smoothest, fastest line or you'll die (unlike full sus riders who often just ride over shit knowing they've got 8" of travel backing them up), and you'll jsut develop way better bike handling skills. Coupled to that it'll be more versatile so you can ride into town on it more easily, you can ride more tech street on it, you can ride skateparks on it, etc.

It just makes more sense when you're starting. I never liked the feel of full sussers, which is why I basically always rode hardtails for DH. If you think you can't ride DH on a hardtail, you really need to check out the hardtail category at the Dragon Downhills.

Ridiculous :P

But yeah, hardtail, 1.5" headtube 4-6" travel forks, decent setup. Problem solved :)

Personally, I'd just get a nice hardtail frame.  With the £1000 you'll have saved over the Orange frame, you can then afford a nicer spec for the rest of the bike.

Riding a hardtail first will make you learn how to use the bike more effectively over rougher terrain (you'll learn how to let the bike flow underneath you better, as opposed to just letting sus take the hits.  That way, when you get a full susser you'll be able to set the sus up more effectively to take care of the bigger hits), you'll be forced to focus on line choice 'cos you'll have to pick the smoothest, fastest line or you'll die (unlike full sus riders who often just ride over shit knowing they've got 8" of travel backing them up), and you'll jsut develop way better bike handling skills.  Coupled to that it'll be more versatile so you can ride into town on it more easily, you can ride more tech street on it, you can ride skateparks on it, etc.

It just makes more sense when you're starting.  I never liked the feel of full sussers, which is why I basically always rode hardtails for DH.  If you think you can't ride DH on a hardtail, you really need to check out the hardtail category at the Dragon Downhills.

Ridiculous :lol:

But yeah, hardtail, 1.5" headtube 4-6" travel forks, decent setup.  Problem solved :blink:

Hmm... On one level i agree with you, in that i rode Morzine/Les Gets/Avoriaz on my HT Azonic with 130mm travel up front, and i managed to spend the whole 2 weeks without any major crashes.

HOWEVER: I can guarentee i would be faster/happier on a full suspension.

The braking bumps on the DH/World Cup/Dual courses are insane - Worse than i have seen on any European course, let alone any UK course.

Whether you go full sus or HT, one piece of advice i can give is:

GET A CHAIN DEVICE!

My holiday would have been 10 times better with one.

Get some decent tyres too.

And make sure your disks (don't even bother going with anything else!) are working in tip top condition.

Bring as many spares with you as possible.

I snapped a SNAFU pedal axle, snapped a pair of cranks and raped a tyre, all in the space of 2 weeks.

I've not snapped anything on that bike since, or before Morzine!

Anyways, enough ramblings.

Have fun.