Okay... Magura Hs33s 2004/2005?

JoNnY__Mc

hey there everybody, its time for me too upgrade my brakes as i my hs11s are getting a little bit risky to ride.

i've bin looking at the 2005 magura hs33's... and also the 2004 hs33s...

what i am wondering is why do people say that the 2005 hs33s are so crap? i don't get it (Y) surely if magura thought they were going to be as poor as people make them out to be then they wouldn't have released them. could someone give me a short explanation as to why i should buy the older 2004 maggies over the newer ones? and why the newer ones are so bad.

i know that you can't know until you have tried both brakes so i would like to hear off people using both the 2004 and people who are using the 2005 brakes... or even people who have used both :D ... thanks :P

thankyou, and please i don't want any jokers saying that this is a pointless topic, and that us stupid beginners don't have a clue... or whatever :P , i don't need it, i just want your opinion and advice (Y)

thanks, Jonny

The tpa,s on the 2005 maguras mostly get jammed even if you look after them and they wont turn then finally when you get it to turn the tpa doesent start working. I had a 2005 and i burst 3 times and the tpa went then i got a nother one and it burst 4 times (Y) so i just got a 2004 and i have had no probs its a ace.

Hope it helps. :D

I have tried both. I use the 2004 and me mate 2005.

Right the 2004 i think look better and feel a bit better on the lever but the tpa always brakes.

The 2005 i think feel nice and sharp and the tpa never brakes brcause it is protcted. My mate has never ever broken his for about a year !

I rekon you should go for the 2005 ones (Y)

right well my and my mates opinions are that the 05s brakes are good but a bit weird. the 05 is better for natural as the lever travel is alot less there fore dont have to move your finger as much which is good for comp riding and helps with brake pump. but with the 05 the cylinders have to set up closer to the rim due to the pistons not moving as much compared to the 05 ones. therefore the 05 brakes have to be set up with a very true rim.

with the 04 if the tpa breaks then tis annoying but easy to fix, with the 05 if the tpa breaks the you will have to buy replacement bits( well till a bodge is figured out) also with the 05 the tpa adjuster has a habit of getting stuck.

the 04 levers are tryed and tested and work great but! the 05 levers are also very good.

my advice would be ride both and find which feels more comfortable for you

you can just grind a bit of the lever blade off and get more lever travel with the '05. that's what most people on the continent and scandinavian peninsula have done.

other than that, i havent had to touch mine, apart from bleeding of course. great levers, though the blade is a bit slippy.

Right the 2004 i think look better and feel a bit better on the lever but the tpa always brakes.

Hmm, you must be adjusting your TPA WAAAY too much

Had loads of maguras now, and never broke a TPA, ever!!

Have got 2 spares though incase I do (Y)

I have 2004 HS33's on my DMR Sidekick, and 2005 HS33's on my Onza T-Rex; I prefer the 2005's. TPA doesn't become all scratched and mucky, they look great and have the same power as the 04's - they're just a bit more refined in my opinion.

Edited by NeillyB

All the people who i know that have had 05 have broke them and gone back to 04's

I've tried them and they haven't felt different to me.

You keep hearing of them breaking, but if you think back so have the 04's just in different places.

The only reason i am still using 04's is because crc was selling them off cheap (Y)

after 7 years of riding with 'original' style magura hs33 levers i changed yesterday and the difference is no just in the feel but i also find my riding has improved :huh: dont know if its just my mind playing tricks on me but i have been able to keep the brakes locked on better an modulate them easier. :lol: im liking them for now.

The 05's fell ALOt nicer! they seam to wrap around your finger alot nicer and seam much comfier!

All my mates use the 04's because, "they dont like the feel of the 05's" Its because the havnt used them before! they used them for about 5 mins on my bike.. and hate them.... they would love them if they used them allll the time!!