Helmet Help

flipkickbs

Go to a large bike or skatebored shop if you can and try on some diffrent ones, just see which ones fit best.

The other thing is, once you have got it, wear it!! I know it sounds stupid but so many people have a helmet but hardly ever wear it.

I do it myself, I find they get hot and sweaty and not v comfy. But I do wear it when trying something new or big and scary for my level of riding.

Also by wear safety gear gives a good example to the younger people taking up the sport and silly people that moan loads.

H

I got the Death-Stare of a lifetime yesterday. Backwheeled this 40" high root that sticks out of a bank/wall in town, and some kid saw me. He was on a bike, with his mum and gran, and he went "I'm going to do that" and started riding at the wall. They shouted to him to stop and he did, and the gran gave me a look that pretty much said "I'm going to tear your face off". People will copy you riding, so try and set a decent example I guess...

Anyway, I'd really recommend the Giro Xen. Mine fits super nicely, it's light as a feather and really well ventilated. On offer at ChainReactionCycles now too (when isn't it? :)).

Just make sure you try any helmet on first though. Some online shops are cool and will let you buy and return it if it doesn't fit. Check with 'em first though. Measure your head though to get a rough guide of what *might* fit. The majority of manufacturers have sizing charts on their sites :)

I got the Death-Stare of a lifetime yesterday.  Backwheeled this 40" high root that sticks out of a bank/wall in town, and some kid saw me.  He was on a bike, with his mum and gran, and he went "I'm going to do that" and started riding at the wall.  They shouted to him to stop and he did, and the gran gave me a look that pretty much said "I'm going to tear your face off".  People will copy you riding, so try and set a decent example I guess...

The thing is, we can't allways be held responsible for the actions of others. That old fart was so simple she saw you and then the kid try and copy and placed the blame. Maybe if she was smart enough to think about it she might have realised that the kid, although probably young, was probably a psychopath and made the decision to charge at the object. You didn't tell them to. She probably sit at home smoking 40 fags a day infront of him. What's worse?

We really are breeding stupidity back into the human race. Whatever happened to, you do something stupid, you learn from it and don't do it again. Now it's, you do somethign stupid, you get f**ked up, then you look for anyone else to target the blame on but yourself because they were too stupid to make our own decisions.

What should have happened is that the kid hits a steep learning curve (albeit in the for of a 40" high root) and while he's sitting sobbing his arse off the mother comes along and gives him another smack for being stupid. Moment of clarity follows shortly after...

Anyway, back to the helmets. I wear a Pro-Tec Bucky Lasek skate lid and I even prefer it to my old Met. Does get a bit sweaty but I can deal with that. Plus I look super cool rather than lookin like an XC rider who's lost his saddle.

Dan

Edited by D-L-B

while he's sitting sobbing his arse off the mother comes along and gives him another smack for being stupid

damn right - never did me any harm.

My girlfriend's taken to slapping me when I come home with blood on me - that's taking a bit longer to sink in though

- back on topic. cheap TSG lids from the skateshop are fine for little spills, i tonked my head on a rail after brake slippage recently and barely felt it. They get quite hot though