Holding Brakes

MattB

Once you get the hang of using only one finger it will feel so much better, far easier to control the bikes due to a more solid grip on the bars, if you feel like you don't have as much power in braking using one finger then get your brake working really well so it doesn't need as much force to hold you, soon it will feel really natural and improve your riding! hope this helped :-

In the first year or so it doesn't matter.

I only ever used one finger on the rear, but i used to use 2 on the front due to a Dia-Compe lever on unbranded calipers - i.e a shit brake.

As soon as i went to a decent brake (magura) i used one and you'll realise the extra control you have straight away.

After about one year it's generally considered you should be using one finger, as you'll need all the fingers you can get hold of to grasp the bar.

I read some advice here about using one finger so, considering I had only just started, I got used to this before getting too used to two....

You need good brakes to get away with it but I find I'm more confident in my control over the bike as I have a better grip on the bars.

I used to use 2 fingers to brake when I had V brakes but then I got HS33s maguras an ho ho ho

Never used 2 fingers since I didnt realise how powerfull they were at first fo when I whaked on 2 fingers with all I got to do an endo I went straight over

see how much power you have in one digit! its amazing haha! :(