Probs With Hope Xc

fat-jake

i have a hope xc hub, i bought the bike second hand and dont have any receipts for it, and the other week when i was changing my tyre i dropped the wheel and my cassette and freewheel FELL OFF!! all the little spings fell out and some erm blocks i managed to talk to a friend and he helped me re-build it but now it keeps skipping, do you think that hope would take it back and repair it, or even replace it???

if so does anyone have any contacts that may be useful?

cheers,fat-jake

Okay mate you got an old XC hub there. Not a problem what so ever.

Call hope or e-mail as has been said. Explaine thus:

you where changing your tyre when you dropped the wheel and your cassette and freewheel FELL OFF!! All the little spings fell out and some erm blocks and you managed to talk to a friend and he helped you re-build it but now it keeps skipping. Can you guys help me out and is there a charge on this?

Hope will help you no matter what, if not free for a small charge £20 tops i'd say. Hope are good you'd probs never pay more than £50- for a repair or warranty how ever old.

Take it easy man

It sounds to me like your pawl springs are buggered. They would have been the springs that fell out when it all fell apart. If you phone up Hope then they will be able to supply you with some new ones. In the freewheel there are 3 cut-outs which have holes in and the blocks that fell out (Pawls) also have holes in. The springs need to fit into each hole and the Pawl should be angled out so that it just juts out of the side of the freewheel. The less they jut out the more chance that there will be of the hub skipping. Also check that the pawls have not been damaged or chipped.

Hope this helps (Y)

send hope an email asking for their address and phone number saying how you done it, unbuild your wheel send your hub off to hope, a week later you get your hub back and it sounds so nice trust i sent my hub of to them like 2 months ago and it sounds so nice hope this helps

i think their email is

info@hopetechnology.com

hope this helps mate (Y)

Bit random that your freehub just fell off :D . Just give Hope a ring.

What? How is it 'a bit random'?? Perhaps he pulled on the freehub, perhaps the axle is snapped? I get fed up with people using the world 'random' when describing things that aren't in any way random. Go and read a book on Chaos theory.

As for the hub, the usual cause of skipping is a broken spring. Yes, just one broken spring can cause skipping, as can:

Worn pawls

Worn bearings

Bent axle

Worn/damaged ratchet ring

I never used to email or ask Hope, because then you're giving them an opportunity to say 'That'll be fifty pounds please'. Instead, I used to send the wheel to them (DON'T SEND JUST THE HUB) with a note saying it keeps skipping and also my postal address.

they will fix it no problem, very helpful are the hope guys. the only thing you will prob have to pay for is the new pawls/springs - about £5.

I got a 2nd hand hub that just wasnt quite right, the spacig a couple of mm off, turned out to be the wrong spacer inside the hub shell. sent it of to hope explaining, and came back 2 days later fixed- no charge :D

They do just come apart, all that holds then on is a spacer/seal with an oring in the casstte shell. It makes it very easy to service, but very anoying if your tryign to get a stiff cassette off as you often end up pulling on the cassette and find the whole freehub shell comes out and you pawls and spring go everywhere! :D

Still very good hubs with great customer service though.

What? How is it 'a bit random'?? Perhaps he pulled on the freehub, perhaps the axle is snapped? I get fed up with people using the world 'random' when describing things that aren't in any way random. Go and read a book on Chaos theory.

well, i guess it is random, my freehub body doesn't fall off every day without warning, i would probably say it was random that it came off. i am aware of the real meaning of the word but people change the meaning due to the context the words used in. calm down :P