High Bb Frames-a Few Months On-whats The Verdict?

Prawny Baby

If the BB on your new frame is (for example) 50mm higher than on your old frame, then to make it ride properly, you'll need to raise your handlebars by 50mm.

A lot of people don't seem to do this - for example, a PZ31 120x17 degree will only offer around 35mm more height (than a 110x5 for example), yet a HiFi has a BB rise of more like 55mm...

but if you rise the bars the same as the bb rise then ur feet are gonna be in the same postion relative to the bars, just like ur old frame

so inst that taking away the advantage ?

I personally disagree with raising your bars by the same height as your BB. I cant be bothered to explain my theories on all of this, but basically doing that would effect your gapping, etc. Think about the angles that the rear axle, the BB, and the grips/handlebars have with eachother, they would change, not neccesarily for the better.

i can see the arguement for both.... but you could also argue that a std bb height frame with the stem run upside down should feel like a high bb frame.... it doesnt thought!

i think you need to raise the bars such that the bar/bb relative positions are the same as a zero drop bb frame with a reasonably low bar (say around 37'')

i can explain why, but the high bb bikes ARE definately easier to bunnyhop, even with a bar/bb setup the same as an equivalent zero drop bb frame....

the thing i really noticed going from my rex to dans HiFi, is that although my rex is great on the backwheel, its quite slow to come up, whereas the HiFi came up really fast much like a short bike! yet still had all the awesome characteristics of a long uci style traditional frame

i can see the arguement for both.... but you could also argue that a std bb height frame with the stem run upside down should feel like a high bb frame.... it doesnt thought!

i think you need to raise the bars such that the bar/bb relative positions are the same as a zero drop bb frame with a reasonably low bar (say around 37'')

i can explain why, but the high bb bikes ARE definately easier to bunnyhop, even with a bar/bb setup the same as an equivalent zero drop bb frame....

the thing i really noticed going from my rex to dans HiFi, is that although my rex is great on the backwheel, its quite slow to come up, whereas the HiFi came up really fast much like a short bike! yet still had all the awesome characteristics of a long uci style traditional frame

thats because the higher bb height means the bike has a shorter reach (or cockpit area) and thus 'feels' shorter and therefore like a short bike.

i couldn't bunnyhop a vinco for shit though

well im decided now im going to order a HiFi as soon as possible, along with a set of HiFi forks

ive picked up a pazzaz stem (i THINK the old pazzaz stems are the same as the 120x17 pz31 isnt it?) which as ad said will give me roughly 35mm height over my current stem, so running it with 20mm of spacers should feel about perfect, but due to the spacers, and not a higher stem, ill be able to have a play around and see what feels best! i have a feeling ill end up with 10mm of spacers below to get it about right, judging by dans.

you can run a 20t ring on a HiFi with a 128mm BB cant you? (isis that is)

To the people saying changing the bar height as much as the bb height wont make any difference, think about this:

With a high bb you are already ~50mm nearer to the balance point, and the nearer you get to it, the easier it is to pull up. This is the ONLY difference if you move the bars the same as bb.

Good choice in topic :(

I posted last week about getting an adament or czar frame and these have bb rise and i was wondering what the effects were ^_^

This topic has has presuaded me to take the pluge i think :- but il keep the level boss until im sure.

Again same a prawn can i keep my 128mm bb with 20t ring on one of these new bb rise frames?

Cheers Gavin :-

in short.......

ITS ACE!

well more or less Everything improves or if it doesnt, it feels easyer as there more overall leverage.

taps= around same,but bit flickyer.

static gaps= way easyer and ive also found to land smoother now, and the "shoot through" which Adam mentioned helps as this turns into leg extention.

Sidehops= i wouldnt say ive got 'much' higher, but i would say more consistant and it feels better as im now going to two wheels rather then front.

hooks= not any difference at all, most say "oh its easyer as youre crank doesnt hit the wall" but this doesnt happen anyway if you do it right, and even if it did it wouldnt effect the actual motion of the hook, so on this one no noticable change, besides the front end comes up easyer, making the inital motion of getting front wheel over easyer.

static gaps to front= way easyer as the bike wants to go to front because of the body position gained.

:P :) :P

But if you are raising the bars aswell as the bb, the reach will stay the same? :P

Exactly, thats one of the reasons I disagree with raising your bars by the same amount as BB rise- you end up with pretty much the same actual reach, just with a greater angle (sorta like you would get by running really long forks). I find what works best is a bit of both, raising bars a bit, but not too much :D

my take on it

"there not all cracked up to what they were hyped upto be"

pointless excercise in my opinion, why have a 26" bike ride like a mod bike???? you may as well just buy a mod..........(Y) to some riders it looks ok on them, but like Marc Vinco you have to be at least 6ft 5 tall :lol:

Waynio........................

my take on it

pointless excercise in my opinion, why have a 26" bike ride like a mod bike???? you may as well just buy a mod.......... :lol:

Waynio........................

Yea im sure the wheel size, the weight, the gearing, the length of bike ... infact total frame geometry will be exactly the same wont it.. :blink: