Building Strong Wheels

flipkickbs

I've recently had a wheel built (drilled alex dx32) It puts up with a load of s**t but has become very slightly egg shaped. The spokes are fairly taught and the spoke pattern is 3 cross. Would even tighter spokes help strengthen the wheel? or a different spoke pattern?

Any help would be much appreciated (Y)

Ian

I've recently had a wheel built (drilled alex dx32) It puts up with a load of s**t but has become very slightly egg shaped. The spokes are fairly taught and the spoke pattern is 3 cross. Would even tighter spokes help strengthen the wheel? or a different spoke pattern?

Any help would be much appreciated (Y)

Ian

normally getting a good wheel builder does the job!

a normal 3 cross is fine for any wheel! i would say just true it out your self!

I have built my last few wheels myself, I have found that spending a few £ on spokes and a little time building gives me enough extra cash in my wallet not to worry when it buckles B)

I'm not the best at building wheels, my builds hold upto most of the abuse that i put them through though, and i'm getting better with each wheel i build, so hopefully, as my riding progresses, so will my wheels (Y)

Firstly I've learnt to have a good wheel you have to look after it, whoever built it. Keep the spokes at a good tension.

Secondly build them yourself, its much more satisfying. Your best off getting an old wheel, spokes and a hub which will just fit togher. Too get the lacing patterns right. You can get the patterns off the internet, and how to build them strong. Best way is to build them yourself, I'm sure many will agree.

i think it will have something to do with. All wheels will be the same strength in compressibility i.e. up and down jumping on them. But crossing the spokes will make them stiffer where it comes to twisting like pushing on one of the sidewalls with the wheel in your frame. Thats my 2p anyways.

from previous experience, 4x is more flexy :- a good tight 3x tension with a good rim and good guality spokes usually sorts things out nicely :(

i built my wheel myself (CK SS Disk - Atomlabs Traimplimp - Plain guage spokes - 3x... got it all straight, then tensioned the hell out if it :P

give it a good hammering for a week, nother good tight tension, then thats the last i hear of things... my wheels take a hell of laot of hammer form sk8park + street riding and i aint had any buckle problems yet (almost a year later B) :- ^_^