Bike For Trials + Travelling = Possible?

Anjow

Hey there...

I'm thinking of getting a trials bike. I don't know exactly which one. My problem is that I'd mainly be using it to travel to uni and back each day (around half a mile or so) - it's hardly an epic journey but I'm not gonna be happy if I have to turn the cranks 10 times to travel 1 yard.

I've not ridden any proper trials bikes, so I don't know what to expect. Because it's not very far to go to uni I don't really care about having a seat seeing as I ride stood up pretty much all the time anyway.

Can anyone tell me if its worth me getting a trials bike? And if so, should I get a 26" one or a 20" one? I'm looking at a few models right now, all made by Onza. My budget is around £400.

You can consider me a beginner. I've done a tiny amount of trials riding on my old bike several years ago.

Cheers.

Edited by Anjow

i hate to say this but, if you are looking for a bike to get arround on and ride trials on i would say get a stock(26").

I like mod better but thats just my opinion, and i find that i can get arround on my mod(20") quite easly

but it is easyer to get arround on a stock. And if you do get a mod, if u can go and extra £20 get the onza t-pro great begginers bike, and lots of advance people ride them as well, i went for the t-mag but it's not that much different from the t-pro!

so to conclude

to get arround easly get a stock

to get arround on a better bike but not as easy get a mod (Y)

hope i help

ollie

Edited by ollie

Thanks for the advice.

Whereabouts would be a good place to get a bike? I was looking at these two in particular, could anyone comment on them?

T-Bird 20"

http://www.airevalleycycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s3p255

T-Raptor 26"

http://www.airevalleycycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s3p516

in my opinion www.tartybikes.co.uk they have really good service!

and if i was you i wouldn't get the t-bird because that has a high gear ratio and that means pedaling a lot and not going far!!!unless you get a new freewheel/cog im not the best person to talk to about that, the t-pro is probaly the best bike for your money.

hope i help

ollie

Bikin distance on a trial bike int to bad, although you could just by a nasty cheapo bike, and a trials bike?

Thats what I recon you should do as well, you could probably get a cheap 'get around bike' for about 30-70 quid second hand, maybe even less. Its not gonna be the best of bikes, but its gonna get you from A to B fine. Hope i helped (Y)

Trials bike are actuly quite high geard than people think. If you go into your lowest gear on your MTB, trials bikes are alot higher geard than that. If you uni is half a mile away, i wouldn't worry about it. It's vertualy nothing, most of us have to travel that far to get to our riding spots.

As for deciding waether you want to go for mod or stock, probably best sticking with the same wheel sise with what you used to ride. Both types of bike have pros and cons, but ultimatly the top mod riders and the top stock riders can pritty much do the same stuff.

Thanks for all the thoughts folks,

I did think that with a 26" it would be harder to manoeuvre... And the problem with the T-Pro is it's around £70 over budget, money I'd need to spend on a lock and other stuff - I'm already in debt as it is (Y)

Is the T-Bird really that much worse than the T-Pro? Would I really notice the different gear ratio?

Hey there...

I'm thinking of getting a trials bike. I don't know exactly which one. My problem is that I'd mainly be using it to travel to uni and back each day (around half a mile or so) - it's hardly an epic journey but I'm not gonna be happy if I have to turn the cranks 10 times to travel 1 yard.

I've not ridden any proper trials bikes, so I don't know what to expect. Because it's not very far to go to uni I don't really care about having a seat seeing as I ride stood up pretty much all the time anyway.

Can anyone tell me if its worth me getting a trials bike? And if so, should I get a 26" one or a 20" one? I'm looking at a few models right now, all made by Onza. My budget is around £400.

You can consider me a beginner. I've done a tiny amount of trials riding on my old bike several years ago.

Cheers.

If your gunna be using it to travel to uni then i would get a 26" as they have gears and will make it easier to pedal and you wont get as tired. If its downhill i would get a 20" because it dont involve that much pedalin though

If you only want one bike, get a stock (26") or maybe a 24" and run it with a seat (this limits frame choice htough, up to you i suppose) and a cassette on the back so you have a choice of gears. With some gears you wont have any problem at all. I run singlespeed, and its a bit anoying but you get used to it. I have to cycle 4 miles to get from soton Uni to central station where the rides start from. you just get used to peddling your arse off for 10 seconds then coasting for a while and repeating the process lol.

half a mile is f**k all on a trials bike

personally though i would get a trials bike and a peice of shit hack bike to get to uni and back, one that won't get stolen, won't mind if it gets damaged, one that you can leave overnight and not worry about incase you go out on the piss

yup - i do 2 miles to work most days on my mod and its only unpleasant if ive been drinking the night before. its pretty safe where i lock it up so im not too worried about some scumbag half-inching it - otherwise i'd go down the bikeshop and get me a 60quid shitbike for the journey.

regarding which mod to get..

save up the extra for a t-pro . Ive not had a t-bird but my old dabomb was pretty much the same deal, the t-pro is a much better bike in terms of feel and spec.

Hey there...

Cheers.

click on my signiture.......the airevalley one.......400 can get you t-raptor ( i started of with that it was a nice bike....if you put £99 to it you can get a t-rex ....there is a lot of diference between them and for only £99 you aint getting any better.

t-rapto or t-rex