Car Problem. Your Opinions.

mods

Ok this is the scenario (sp) I borrowed my friends car to give her a lift home, she was drunk, i then took the car home, but on the way decided that in fact the car was very nice and i wanted to take it for a spin with my friend, then basically i rolled the car... twice hmm. Believe it or not i wasn't driving too stupidly, but i live on the IOW and the raods are shit, it was wet blah blah. Anyway the pokice came to the scene and did nothing. I produced the documents at my local police station. Now i think the only crime i have committed is driving without insurance! It's been nearly two months, what do you think is gonna happen. Bearing in mind this is my first offence, and i have admitted all responsibily and am replacing the car.

All opinions appreciated thx!

shay.

I think driving without insurance carries a fine of up to £1000 and 6-12 penalty points.

It will most probably be a court hearing too which would be why you havent heard much yet.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but ive had my scrapes with the local plod enough times due to my car.

that sounds pretty harsh.

but if you have flipped a car you must have been doing something wrong cos they dont "just" flip over mate, iv seen bucky do some crazy shit in his van and hes had his on 3 wheels while handbrake turning but with the anti roll bars that are supporting the suspension you literally will have to hit something for it to flip. sounds like a nightmare BUT if you have fully comp insurance on an other vehicle, IE your own, your actually covered 3rd party, AT the owners disgression, so if your lady friend give you the keys due to her being drunk and asked you to drive her home she has given you permission so therefore all you would have to do is pay for a new car, you wouldnt actually have any problems with the police, you would just have to produce documents and if you have said you did it no problem.

have they given you courts summonds???? if so then you could be in trouble. an example is below:

im fully comp on my car, i go get pissed and bucky has got insurance on an other vehicle of his ow, i ask him to drive me home, with or without me in the car he can actually drive my vehicle with "3rd party" cover. hence if he crashes into someone the 3rd party is covered BUT not bucky so he has to sort my car out or if he flips rolls or smashes it he will have to pay for it himself.

hope that makes sense????

Waynio......................... (Y) :)

PS the question is "are you insured on your own vehicle?" if so you should be ok (Y)

Edited by Waynio

Your only covered 3rd party if your own insurance states this in writting or you are a named driver on the owners policy.

Most insurance companies dont cover drivers under the age of 25 for 3rd party insurance as they are a higher risk and theres the chance you could insure a 1ltr fiat panda then drive an evo on 3rd party.

Edited by petit_pablo

yea thx guys gettin an idea of my punishment, i am not covered fully comp on my own car, so 3rd party cover on her car was not applicible. About the car rolling, it slid of a bend in the wet which had an anti camber, then went into a ditch and rolled, would have been ok if the ditch hadn't of been there, but it was so.. (Y).

I went into the police satation, and they said a police officer from another station was dealing with it, and i will hear within the next trwo week, this was two weeks ago sat gone.

yea thx guys gettin an idea of my punishment, i am not covered fully comp on my own car, so 3rd party cover on her car was not applicible. About the car rolling, it slid of a bend in the wet which had an anti camber, then went into a ditch and rolled, would have been ok if the ditch hadn't of been there, but it was so.. (Y).

I went into the police satation, and they said a police officer from another station was dealing with it, and i will hear within the next trwo week, this was two weeks ago sat gone.

The police always take ages to sort the paper work out.

I was taken to court over a speeding offense and it took over 2 months for them to contact me.

Your only covered 3rd party if your own insurance states this in writting or you are a named driver on the owners policy.

Most insurance companies dont cover drivers under the age of 25 for 3rd party insurance as they are a higher risk and theres the chance you could insure a 1ltr fiat panda then drive an evo on 3rd party.

im pretty sure i put sumot on the lines of that. maybe not as clear (Y)

even if someone is "higher" risk, the owner has given them the responsibility, weather it be an 18year old driving an Evo 6 or a 100 year old driving a panda???? it makes no difference all dependant on the insurance situation. but what i tried to say is if the girl had fully comp insurance "most" insurers will have in their that the policy holder is covered and can be covered to let anyone with a full uk license and fully comp insurance at their own disgression kind of thing. hence why they arent covered fully comp? 3rd party only. iv not really had many run ins with the police about it but after speaking to police officers about this kind of thing then it does make sense, if he hasnt been in touch with a letter from the police about court summonds he will be ok, also me n bucky have had convo's about this kind of stuff from when he got into trouble.

Waynio.............................

its not sounding too good mate (Y)

its this time of year that catches everyone out a bit of ice/grit and plenty of bad weather makes the road pretty shit. a lesson learnt i would have thort. im sure if you are honest and give your valid points for your actions im sure they will be leanient, if you lie you have no chance, bucky would/could have possibly being banned and not driving for 12months and to re-take both his tests. luckily he didnt as he admitted to the offence and told the truth, therefore honesty can get you everywhere.

Waynio.........................

it would be kool to know the outcome though, you should let us know what happens.

when i went into the police station, they mentioned something about a silent court hearing, ( the case is tried but me the offender is not present providing i plead guilty which i obviously will) this was the day after the accident. The silent hearing also has not been mentioned again. Do you think it would be a good idea to get hold of the officer dealing with the case, or just wait and see?

Driving without insurance is highly irrisponsible, you deserve a ban to be honest.

If you had rolled, hit someone and paralysed them for life, you would have had no way to copensate them for the loss of thier ability to move.... etc.etc.

Maybe if you had not decided 'to go for a little drive' after you dropped the girl off you would have been ok.

I expect you could loose your licence, you would have been ok if you had no licence you know, would have just got a fine :) stupid law system..

I think you're an irresponsible [insert expletive, such as wnkr, cnt, dkhd] for driving without insurance. If you'd rolled that car into somebody's nice new BMW M3, they'd have had to fork out for their repairs. Why? Because you wouldn't have 3rd party cover to pay for it.

It's simple. If you're not insured on a vehicle, don't use it. End of. I hope you get fined £1.5m and then get flown out to Thailand to spend 16 years in a jail there. Well, I don't, but honestly, learn the lesson and learn some responsibility. Going out for a 'spin' in somebody else's car isn't a good idea, even when you are insured.

meh.

end of the day you clearly cant drive.... or you wouldnt have spun and flipped it

know your limits, know the cars limits, know the conditions. once you know all that, AND you know the roads, then you can drive fast.....

its irresponsible.

theres also a pretty good chance you could be done for driving without due care and attention, just to make an example of you....

i then took the car home, but on the way decided that in fact the car was very nice and i wanted to take it for a spin with my friend

How did she take it? If a so called 'mate' did that to my car, I probably would disown them.

You are extremely lucky you didnt hit any other motorists/people.

Anyway, for driving like some irresponsible joyrider --> Goodbye licence.

Paul. :)

Well I feel I should say a couple of words. I have recently lost my licence under the 'New drivers act of 95'. As a result people are constantly asking how long ive been banned for. My answer; "I've not been banned, i'm off the road till i get my ass in gear and pass both tests again."

Also, my insurance has been hardly effected, Ive only got two SP30's, and no SPD's.

So try to look on brightside!

I'll be back on road by late Jan, all going well.