Hope Or Avid?

smelly joe

I am going to buy myself a new disk brake and was wondering whether i should go for the Hope mini mono, or the avid BB7 mechanical disk.

a couple of questions about them:

- which feels the nicest to use?

- which brake has the most bite and hold??

cheers :closedeyes:

The Hope Mini Mono will have the nicer modulation but no where near the bite and hold of an Avid.

The Mini Monos are known to be rather weak in terms of raw power but they have very nice feel too them.

Having Tried Countless Avids and owned a Mono M4 which is the 4 pot (More Powerful) version of the Mini Mono, i would safely recommend the Avid.

They are very easy to set up and have bucket loads of power (hold). They do have overheating issues with smaller rotor sizes but 180mm rotors and above will be fine.

Cheers,

Alex

I use Hayes both end on mine. I've got XT shimano's on my dh bike though and they're ace.

Every pair of hope I've had have gone wrong, without fail. Avids are pretty cool but I've found getting parts can be a real pain. If you're willing to put the effort in with maintenance then Hope would do the job. I just like to pick up a bike, ride it, then throw it back in the garage though so thats maybe why they didn't work for me.

Could I BE any more vague

I've always bought hope and I've always been pleased with hope. So for me, I say better to devil you know than the devil you don't.

I've heard good things about the BB7, but only on here. And I hear a lot of crap being talked on here too :P So I'd want to see one for myself before I commited to buying one.

I tried the Hope Trials Mono recently and I can safely say it's the best break I've ever ridden and Id I could afford to buy one, I would. As it is, it looks like I'm going to have to go for a second hand mono or an older mini.