Oohhh The Tension!

Ali C

ok heres the deal punks!

I am wanting to get a tensioner for when off duty from comps, combine one with my unbreakable hangers I will never have to worry about sliiping to my right :D

I am really put off by the "normal" range thats out there. Surly and the dmr are apparently too weak in the spring department.

Not keen on the fresh and dmr simple tensioner, seems like a lot of hassle to take the wheel out.

I have rounded it up to Two (possibly three) models.

1) paul melvin

2)soulcraft convert

3)Rohloff tensioner

The paul and soulcraft look pretty tough and Iolo has the Rohloff and that put up with a lot.

Its just a lot of money to spend, so I could do with reasurence really.

or shall I be the guineepig and test one? :P

Also how are webcyclery to deal with? they ok sending to the uk?

cheers dudes and dudets

Im sure rohlhoff do 14 speed internal hubs. I swear Ive seen it in MBUK. and if thats true surely it goes to sure the level of engineering those guys are capable off

Out of all 3 i prefer the rohlhoff BUT with no experiance of stock tensioning methods I can't really say which would last the longest. It seems that the rohlhoff will give amazing tension though (Y)

The Paul Melvin one looks interesting with the two jockey wheels, not sure if it would be up to much abuse though.

I like the Rohloff one personally, but as with anything good it costs a lot of money. I would go for it though because somebody you know has already used and abused it and it came up trumps, so you know its worth your money. (Y)

I'll try and get both and maybe do a review on each after using them for a while.

This is only if I can get the surly for free or next to nothing (they sometimes let me have parts for free at my shop)

I am deffo gonna get the rolhoff though.

Get a new Surley, they are cast and not CNC'd so the spring will no longer rip through the shell.

Bob's your mum.

i had one, it broke, quickly too, the springs in them are still shite, went back to using a mech as a tensioner

most tensioners seem to brake well easily, but the rohloff looks well nice, and for the price im sure its going to be worth it, heard loads of positive feedback about them

luisio