Information On Single Speed Hubs And A Set Of Handlebars

deadly venom

I have been researching single speed hubs for a little while now and I have come across the White Industries ENO eccentric and non eccentric hubs and the Paul components Word hub. My question is, are these hubs suitable for trials use? I want to use an ENO trials freewheel on the rear instead of the crank. In a previous thread someone recommended the DMR revolver hub. I have had a bit of trouble locating a store that sells this hub. So I was hoping that these two hubs would be good alternatives. The main reason why I am looking at these and not the Chris King hub is because of the price. The Chris King hub is just so expensive. If push comes to shove I will get the Chris King but in the mean time I want to see if there is an alternative.

The next question I have is about the Race Face Diabolus handlebar. Although I was set on the ZOO! riser bar, I just noticed these bars and they seem rather nice. Is the Race face Diabolus bar a good bar for trials use? Or is the Diabolus a set of Bars I should stay away from?

I just thought of something, I plan to use Middleburn cranks, if I go with the ENO freewheel on the rear which is 18 tooth which would be the best gear ratio 20:18 or 22:18?

Ride on,

Deadly Venom

Edited by deadly venom

I have heard of a few people running the eccentric hubs with no problems (Y)

Also I think the diablus bars have loads of backsweep, I dunno what you like but I aint a fan....they might be ok tilted forwards though?

if your gonna be using an 18tooth on the rear, I would try and find a 21 tooth front cog, ask the tart, I know he used to run one.

Ali C, TomN,

I keep forgetting to note that I am from the United States. I should have said that I am having trouble finding a U.S. based store that sells the DMR revolver hub. The information on the Race Face website says that the Diabolus bar has a 9 degree rearward sweep and a 4 degree upward sweep with a 1.5 inch rise(38.1mm rise). Would this be to much for trials? I don't know how much rearward sweep and upward sweep the ZOO! riser bars have so I am unable to compare their specifications. It would be nice if the ZOO! website would give all specifications.

I don't know if I can find a 21 tooth chainring. I have heard of 20, 22 and 24 tooth but not 21.

Keep Riding,

Deadly Venom

Edited by deadly venom

The Echo hub hasn't been re-released yet though, has it? 'cos the first ones shat the bed, so they're redoing one thing or another...

Anyway, the if the Eno freewheel and other W.I. products are anything to go by, the hub should be pretty good I guess. All their stuff seems to be properly high quality (ahem), reliable (ahem), and well thought out.

If you e-mail info@bti-usa.com, they might be able to help you out with the Revolver hub. Alternatively, try calling 888 255 6922 (you'll speak to "Quality Bicycle Products").

Ah right well am sure Airevalley will send the DMR hub to you, as I remember wayne sending some stuff to someone in Australia. Just give Waynio on here a Pm asking if he could, as am sure he would glad to help you.

SpunkyMonkey,

I have thought about the possibility of putting the ENO freewheel on the new Echo fixed hub. Will it fit with out a problem? Thanks for the offer on the hub! If I can't find one I may buy from you, but I am sure someone in the USA sells the DMR single speed hub or I could go with something else so don't hold me to it.

Onzaboymark,

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?!?:lol: Had trouble with White Industries Products have we? I have read some reviews on the ENO hubs and the majority of them have been positive. But, the reviews all come from downhill and XC riders. So it is difficult to determine if it will be good for trials. I just emailed BTI-USA, so I'll have to wait to see what they say. And QBP does not import DMR hubs.

TomN,

I would order the DMR hub from over seas but sometimes ordering stuff from overseas can be a real royal pain in the ass! It can be even worse if you have to return the merchandise for an exchange or refund.

On the subject of handlebars, some of you had to have tried the Race Face Diabolus handlebars. So what is the verdict? Are they good or bad?

Ride on,

Deadly Venom

Edited by deadly venom

leedstrials,

There no good for natural trials are they? I just recently noticed them, when I saw them I thought they may be a nice set of bars to consider. They look very similar to the KOXX oversize riser bar, which is one of the main reasons why I asked if they were a good bar.

Ride on,

Deadly Venom

Edited by deadly venom

What sort of bike setup and type of riding are you planning on?

The Raceface bars Id expect to be strong, but they are about 100g heavier than the Zoo bars (which IMO are excellent bars for full-on trials, and are cheaper over here), depends what sort of feel to the bike you want, and how much weight bothers you. The raceface bars have higher rise, and would be nice on a street bike in particular, but could be swept forwards for a more "trialsy" feel.

Onzaboymark,

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?!? :lol: Had trouble with White Industries Products have we? I have read some reviews on the ENO hubs and the majority of them have been positive. But, the reviews all come from downhill and XC riders. So it is difficult to determine if it will be good for trials. I just emailed BTI-USA, so I'll have to wait to see what they say. And QBP does not import DMR hubs.

nope. im guessing mark was being sierious, as his eno is f**king awesome and he propperley loves it.

SQuiT-man,

I am going to build a 26inch bike and it will be used for natural trials only. I just thought that it might be a good bar to consider. But if it is not a good bar I will just go with the ZOO! As for the weight, I don't think 380g is going to give me a hernia.

Ride on,

Deadly Venom

Onzaboymark,

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?!? :lol: Had trouble with White Industries Products have we?

Nah, I was more refering to the Echo hub I mentioned earlier in my post. The White Industries products are really, really good quality. Really well made, really well designed - all good!

Onzaboymark,

If White Industries produces quality components maybe I will give the ENO hub a try.

Div,

It appears as though the ZOO bars are the way to go. They look like they have a nice comfortable shape.

Has anyone here tried the Word hub from Paul components? I have read positive reviews about the hub but the reviews come from riders who are not into trials.

Ride on,

Deadly Venom

Nah, I was more refering to the Echo hub I mentioned earlier in my post. The White Industries products are really, really good quality. Really well made, really well designed - all good!

hehe white industries are kickass freewheels, just watch your nice trousers ey mark :P

Ben

Leedstrials,

If the two brands have good quality then I don't think I will have anything to worry about. Now all I have to do is choose between the two.

Matt Hudson,

Here is the web address to paul components:www.paulcomp.com From what I have read paul produces quality hubs. They also have a interesting looking chain tensioner for single speed applications.

Ride on,

Deadly Venom